Rate the last CD you discovered

Batman

If someone considers this a game, it can be moved to the fun & games section. In this game, rate the last album/cd you discovered. This could mean bought, or downloaded, or rediscovered (a record that's been sitting in your closet for a long time).

The last album I discovered was "The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars" by David Bowie. It was really good, I'd give it an A. It seemed a lot like 50's piano rock, except with more electric guitar. I especially like the song "Suffragette City" and the part in the song where he goes "ooooh Wam Bam thank you mam!" What energy!

Ziggy Stardust is a brilliant album!! Bowie was such a fusion of styles and a mass of contradictions, I just love the man and the myth!

The last album I discovered was 'Desperado' by The Eagles. Besides the title track which everyone knows, it has some great album tracks like 'Certain Kind Of Fool' and 'Saturday Night'. 'Doolin' Dalton' has some of the clearest, purest vocals I have ever heard. This is real country/rock stuff with a whole cowboy concept.

I give it 5 thumbs! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Artist: The Dickies

Album: Dawn of the Dickies

I'd say its pretty good. I own the 33 1/3 of the album and everything is exactly the same, album cover is an exact rip (cept for the back cover of the cd). Also came with the 45 album Gigantor with the sogns Gigantor and Bowling with Bedrock barney, but not with the other side which has The Banana Splits on it.

'Vision Thing' ~ The Sisters Of Mercy

This album has the classic solid guitars and heavy, moody and emotional style I've come to know and love. Very high energy for Sisters, and lyrics that are both catchy and thought provoking. It's maybe a little angrier than their other albums but if you like Sisters, you'll like this album...

I love the songs 'When You Don't See Me' and 'Ribbons'. Based on those two songs alone, I give this album an A !

I once did this thing on BMG where you get 7 CDs for the price of one. One was called "Knocking on Your Back Door: the best of Deep Purple in the..." and I got it. When it came in the mail, it turned out to be "The Best of Deep Purple in the 80s." I listened to some of the tracks, didn't like them, and hadn't listened to it for 3 months or so. I just discovered it had the song "Hush" on it though, and now I am finding out it has some other great songs too. B- for all the synthesizers, but besides them, good album.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 3 CD's from the library, and listened to them and rated them here:

Scissor Sisters - Self Titled: After all the hype for this band, I was really dissapointed. I had heard "Take Your Mama" and really liked it, thinking that the rest of the album was going to be similar 70's am pop rock, and that their disco "Comfortably Numb" was simply a novelty song. It turns out that "Take Your Mama" is the only song on the album I like, and the rest is just too disco-ish for me. The only other song on the album I even remotely like is "Laura." I am not going to burn this one. D-.

Joe Walsh - His Greatest Hits: The first I've ever heard from Joe Walsh, which is surprising given my taste in music. I really liked his early stuff, and it only contained 3 80s songs, which I could tell I wouldn't like. I've got to listen to more of him. My favorite was a blues medley called "The Bomber." Listening to this has shown me that Led Zeppelin was not so revolutionary as I thought they were. A.

Pogues - Peace and Love. This was the second Pogues album I have heard. The first wasn't irish sounding at all, it was called "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" and sounded like wishy washy 90's alternative (not to be confused with grunge). But I gave them another chance. This one is much more Irish sounding then "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah." It is good. B.

oh wow batman! :( i was at a party tonight and we listened to the entire of scissor sisters - i think that album rocks!!! they are amazing live too! well, everyone knows how much i love this band so i won't go on about it, suffice to say i love the album and the band. sorry to hear you don't rate it! :(

First, a retort. :P how can you say Led Zep weren't revolutionary because of a Joe Walsh album? Led Zep started long before the Walshman..

As for last album I discovered, that would be Blue Merle, Burning in the Sun. Here's the Amazon.com review.. I would've posted my own, but this guy pretty much said what I had in mind:

This Nashville band may have lifted its name from the lyrics of a Led Zeppelin song but listeners expecting nine-minute guitar epics about medieval orgies and fiery demons are bound to be disappointed. Blue Merle favors a lighter touch, as sketched out on the wistful title track of its debut album, Burning In The Sun. The jangly song evokes the Dave Matthews Band with its lilting fiddles and spiraling rhythms, while singer-songwriter Luke Reynolds sounds like a dead ringer for Coldplay's Chris Martin. Having played Bonnaroo, toured with Donovan Frankenreiter and recoded with Matthews producer Stephen Haris, the band seems destined to find a home with the Relix crowd. It would be a shame if it settled there. Rich, emotionally detailed songs like "If I Could" and "Stay" not only transcend genres, they're capable of changing lives.

oh wow batman! :( i was at a party tonight and we listened to the entire of scissor sisters - i think that album rocks!!! they are amazing live too! well, everyone knows how much i love this band so i won't go on about it, suffice to say i love the album and the band. sorry to hear you don't rate it! :(

I suppose it's just not the kind of music I like. It's a little too disco-oriented for me.

First, a retort. :P how can you say Led Zep weren't revolutionary because of a Joe Walsh album? Led Zep started long before the Walshman..

Not really, since both Led Zeppelin's first album and The James Gang's first album (which was Walsh's original band) came out in 1969. Their blues sound from the time is very similar. Led Zeppelin is still a great band though.

Yeah, but Page had been playing that way for years with the Yardbirds, and in session work. ;)

Anyway, I just never thought of Zep as revolutionary for their blues work, the Stones had been doing it for years.. I thought they were revolutionary for being -better- at it. ::

Yeah, but Page had been playing that way for years with the Yardbirds, and in session work. ;)

Joe Walsh was in a band called The Measles in 65, which is around the time that Page was popular as a session musician, eh? And as for the Yardbirds, they were a great band, but they weren't really hard rock blues, they were more experimental blues. ;)