Acoustic guitar solo's

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Classical Gas by Mason Williams.

Another favorite acoustic guitar solo would have to be the intro to Warrant's Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Needle and the Damage Done by Neil Young is also a great one and I'll not forget the great 12 string sound of Hotel California by Joe Walsh.

f37322t69vp.jpg

Al DiMeola's 1st solo album (Elegant Gypsy) back in '76 featured an acoustic duet of a little flamenco diddy with guitarist Paco de Lucia called

'Mediterranean Sundance'

They put Al on the left speaker and Paco on the right speaker, and they had dueling guitars flamenco style...for 5 minutes.

I cannot agree with Nirvana Unplugged as being a worthy acoustic guitar album. The guitar playing is so sloppy it is unbearable. I cringe when Kurt hits the wrong note in the final solo of "The Man Who Sold The World" - it's almost a criminal act of desecration of a Bowie masterpiece.

However, acoustic guitar solos - anything played on a Jim Croce record. His lead guitarist (the guy who died with him in the plane crash) is awesome and plays some of the tastiest lead lines ever.

One very underrated solo I think is the solo in Rod Stewarts "I Was Only Joking". In the full length album version, it has two solos one after the other - one acoustic, one electric and they are both so beautiful it hurts.

I must give an honorable mention to Esteban, whom I consider a master of the spanish guitar.

If anyone likes the timeless sound of classical strings then his Flamenco Y Rosas CD will surely be the one set on repeat, time and time again.

Jippers, I agree, with all of your post. A rarity for me. :P

They put Al on the left speaker and Paco on the right speaker, and they had dueling guitars flamenco style...for 5 minutes.

I have a Paco De Lucia record called Entre Dos Aguas. It is as mindblowing as it is beautiful and sensual. I think my son was concieved with that album as the soundtrack....

Mike, and all of you posting: You've hit a chord here, and I think that Muzik hit it on the nailhead; (sort of speak) with the Classical Gas. Can you play it StratoCaster dude? I'll have to work on that one with my Simon & Patrick! Do you think that it could be done electrically? Fender or Gibson?

IMO, acoustic is best for spanish style, with steel strings. I believe it's a timeless sound where electricity is not needed and takes away rather than enhances.

Back to Classical Gas; Eric Clapton also does a very mean version.

IMO it's a VERY hard song to play...correctly.

Fender or Gibson? Why both, of course! But, if I had to choose between a Strat or a Les Paul I'd feel sad waving bye to the Strat. But, a musician will usually have both as each has it's own distinctive sound, especially on the leads. I've always loved the Les Paul body, the feel and the thick, full sound. Sometimes, changing to a Strat, I feel that I have to hold it tight as it might fly away. It's so noticeably lighter than the Les Paul. I call it Les Wood. :P

Although, many choose it over the Gibson because it is lighter. But, when I put both guitars side by side the Gibson outshines the Strat every time...in my eyes and ears.

Now as amps go, there is only one IMO...Marshall.

e65222e52jo.jpgc50564338p0.jpg

Here's a couple of acoustic guitarists...

Leo Kottke - live '73... anybody know the guitar tunings on this album? Thanks

Norman Blake - He keeps talking on this album about how sweet sounding his 1934 Martin guitar is... Fingerpickin' music is a close cousin to Bluegrass.

I'm a Les Paul player. I always found that my strumming style causes my right hand to collide with the volume controls on a Strat, and I hate tremolo bars, but I love the sound of a nice Strat though.

I actually find that the Les has a more versatile sound though. As it is my only working electric guitar, I used it when I recorded my surf soundtrack and I actually had people thinking it was a Strat! While on the same song I added some crunchy, clean tone power chords with the same guitar. It's great to have the variety of sounds to play with.

Now, as far as acoustic solos go, I love the guitar outros on both "Peace Train" by Cat Stevens and "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel. It's a real shame that DJs talk over that part when they play those songs on the radio - some people have no respect!

Only thing I dislike worse than a DJ talking over a song is not mentioning the name or artist of the song they just played.

Lots of new songs that I really like but the damned DJs never divulge unless I already know the darn artist/title.

I get tired of calling the radio station and humming the song, I'm sure they do too but do they learn? :P

Oh, Nancy Wilson's intro to Crazy on You is another great acoustic solo.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew that would stir Tenacious P. :P

The funny thing is Peachy, when I first saw your avatar I thought it was a lousy Elvis impersonator. :laughing:

But then I saw your SN and it clicked.

Edit- OK, with the new avatar addition, Peachy, my above statements will surely confuse newcomers. (lol)

Edit II- Holy cow, by the time I edited the first time another addition has been made. I haven't seen so many changes since a Cher performance. (lmao)

Oh, cyberdemon, I like the new sig. It's amazing how with just a few close friends and a tiny budget that Romero made what I consider the best zombie movie of all time. Filming it in black and white was genius too. I mean, look at your sig, it looks just as I'd imagine if it were to ever happen. It looks real. I'm thinking how hilarious it would have been if Tenacious D had of photoshopped their black and white picture on the cover you posted into the shot of your current sig. My thought is it would have fit like a heinie on a pot! :P

The other sig, Christopher Walken, was that from The Prophecy? That sig was one that I wasn't crazy about seeing all the time. ::

Whoops, got off topic but didn't forget:

The intro to Yes' Roundabout, while not all that hard to play, has it's rightful place in this thread. The same goes for the intro to Led Zeppelin's Over the Hills and Far Away.