Who reminds you of classic rock today?

Rjoepenk

Definitely Kings of Leon and The White Stripes - but also The Mars Volta, Mercury Rev, Heartless Bastards, Queens of the Stone Age, AUDIOSLAVE, and Velvet Revolver. Also Jet, FOO FIGHTERS, and Aerosmith -(oh wait they are a classic rock band! STILL ROCKIN'). :guitar:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hives and The Vines also have a bit of a classic rock feel, as do The Honorary Title.

PTP, who posted in Get the Word Out, sound very much like Pink Floyd.

The Magic Numbers

The Golden Republic

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Classic Rock today, it's not possible, unless you are talking about the original stars from yesteryear performing. Now, before I get lynched, I will tell you WHY I say this:

First, let's define classic rock: In this long-time DJ's opinion classic rock comes from all the way back to the day when one group started repeating 3 chords over and over again and called it music.

The second half of this definition would be: Music that stands the test of time. Simply put, most "new" bands come and go, a flash in the pan so to speak, but true classic rock has been around for the better part of 50 years now, and guess what, people STILL listen to it.

So to properly answer this thread: Who reminds you of classic rock today....no one, they imitate, they "borrow" riffs from other songs, and some of their on-stage perfomances lack that special audience interaction that is crucial to any bands survival throughout the years, and finally airtime. This is by far the most important thing to any group. If radio stations don't give them airtime, or only play "the hits" you're left with a very limited selection of tunes, all of which you get burned out on.

Who reminds me of classic rock today, simple; the bands that did it right the first time... ;)

(Modern artist/who they remind me of)

Queens of the Stone Age/Black Sabbath

White Stripes/Led Zeppelin (well certainly Jack's vocals on Get Behind me Satan)

Scissor Sisters/Elton John

Muse/ELO

The Darkness/Kiss (minus the make-up)

• 2 months later...

The Shins totally rock. I saw them perform at Brown University and they were something else. "Young Pilgrims" and "So Says I" are probably their best works, they both sound like they could be straight out of the late 60's/early 70's. You can listen to "So Says I" and hear/see some of their other stuff here on theshins.com in the downloads section.

The Shins totally rock. I saw them perform at Brown University and they were something else. "Young Pilgrims" and "So Says I" are probably their best works, they both sound like they could be straight out of the late 60's/early 70's. You can listen to "So Says I" and hear/see some of their other stuff here on theshins.com in the downloads section.

I hear a little Beach Boys when I listen to them. I have Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow. They are both great.

Which modern band (recently formed and currently in their heyday) sounds the most like good ol' time REAL rock 'n' roll to you? I would say either Kings Of Leon or The White Stripes.

No rock and roll outfit from the past theee years has equalled the caliber of muscianship demonstrated in th 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s. This is precisely the reason that bands cover classic rock material and and try to make it their own. I never see the Goo Goo Dolls thanking Rodge Hodson of Supertramp for essentially giving the Goo Goo Dolls a chart topping hit. That's Supertramp's song.

FYI, anybody who is into Supertramp get Even in the Quietest Moments. Its awesome, Downstream, Fools Overture, and Babaji are the standout Tracks.

Dude.... supertramp blows.

But that is your opinion and I respect that, so no need to fight.

I'd have to disagree with the 'no one even comes close' thing, 'cuz there is some stuff out there that is amazing, I am currently in love with the Killers and 'Mr. Brightside' is one of my fave songs right now, it's so majestic and flowing.

I can't really explain why it is that I like the Killers, I suppose it's the majestic sound, it's not really something that I'd usually be into (I like feedback, lots and lots of feedback) so I'm by no means trying to force the Killers on anyone, it's just my own personal fave at the moment.

I suppose it's the majestic sound

Well, if you are, here's some amazing music (as

You're probably familiar with the songs suggested below, but this is what I reccommemnd.

Speed of Sound-Colplay

let it Be-The Beatles

Regatta de Blance-The Police

Touch of Grey-The Grateful Dead

Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd

Life's a Gas-T. Rex

Solsbury Hill-Peter Gabriel

I Know What I Like, ILike What I Know (In Your Wardrobe)-Genesis

that's a fraction of the good stuff. There's a lot more and, trust me, its all good.