Who reminds you of classic rock today?

Rjoepenk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third Eye Blind, Fountains of Wayne, Something Corporate? I must not be on the same wavelength, care to explain?

I'd say Jet, The Strokes, and the White Stripes.

I think something corporate because of their piano influence. Older Fountains of Wayne, not that Stacey's Mom crap. And I think 3eB has some of the best arrangements for their era.

I can see the Something Corporate. Admittedly, all I've heard from Fountains of Wayne is Stacey's Mom. I'll trust you on that one. 3eb however, I've heard a lot from, and yes they have good arrangements, and they're talented, but I just don't see the classic touch. What sort of bands do they remind you of? I've always thought of them as solid late-ninties pop-rock, which I never really connected with the classic rock era.

Indeed, the Shins. To me they sound like a more folksy version of the Beach Boys. I heard some of their songs in the car of someone in my carpool, and one on the movie "Garden State."

So far, I've only heard 2 songs by them, but the song "Take Your Mama" by the Scissor Sisters sounds a lot like Elton John and David Bowie. Stuff you'd hear on 70's AM radio, says my mom.

Every 'Soundtrack of Our Lives' song sounds like three classics at once. Same with most of Ryan Adams...he references every band you ever heard in the 70's. The Darkness are just a first division pub band....but they are fun :happybanana: Kings of Leon :coolio: and brilliant live too...Molly's Chamber's gonna change your miiiiiind ::

how are the polyphonic spree anything like classic rock???

A lot of stuff kind of reminds me of the Beatles, and Chicago, like chord progressions and riffs. It's not an exact match for classic rock, but it reminds me of classic rock. And after all, that is the title of this thread.

The killers? Some of the songs . . . believe me natilae, maybe . . .the killers are a bit of a stretch . . . definetly Jet . a Dj at the radio station made a joke about how beatles - ish it was. he put on british accents and talked in that breathy way the beatles did

I was watching the Britt awards the other night and saw some interesting groups, i've never heard of before...one group was Scissor Sisters????very strange but i liked their sound, reminds me of the 80's i guess....

then there's a girl named Joss Stone that was on...she's only 18 and what a voice she has...reminds me alot of Janis Joplin, she has a very soulful voice...

• 4 weeks later...

While the sound is very different, the Killers' guitar style is very similar to Edge's from U2, in that they play the guitar in a way that relies on resonance, or echo. The guitar is slower than the tempo of the song. I don't really like that style though, it's kind of boring.