Queen takes heat over Rome Concert

RonJonSurfer

Queen Attacked Over Rome Gig

Reformed rock group Queen has faced a barrage of criticism in Italy for failing to cancel their Rome concert Monday night, as the nation mourns the death of Pope John Paul II.

Civil Protection Chief Guido Bertolaso, who has been appointed to oversee the Italian capital's arrangements for the late pontiff's funeral on Friday, believed organizers should have postponed the gig in respect to the Polish-born pope, who died on Saturday.

Bertolaso said Monday, hours before the concert was due to take place, "The decision of not postponing the Queen concert scheduled this evening in Rome was made in bad taste."

"I wish the concert had been cancelled to respect what happened. I think that in this moment of pain and prayer a concert should not be held in our capital - with all due respect to what others believe."

Despite admitting he was a fan of the "We Will Rock You" stars; Bertolaso was disappointed with the band's decision.

Original Queen members Roger Taylor and Brian May have embarked on a European comeback tour with former Free rocker Paul Rodgers replacing late frontman Freddie Mercury.

this is all I could find..are there any translators in the house? (I know there is).

Niente lutto, i Queen trionfano a Roma La festa rock è stata comunque aperta con un minuto di silenzio in segno di rispetto. Aperta al Palalottomatica la tournée italiana STRUMENTIVERSIONE STAMPABILEI PIU' LETTIINVIA QUESTO ARTICOLO

Al centro Paul Rodgers, il nuovo cantante dei Queen (Ansa)

ROMA - Inglesi, laici, iconoclasti e fedeli a uno dei loro classici («The Show Must Go On», lo spettacolo deve continuare), i Queen superstiti e redivivi hanno aperto ieri sera al Palalottomatica di Roma la loro tournée italiana che toccherà stasera Milano, il 7 Firenze e l?8 Pesaro. In netto contrasto con l?atmosfera che regnava a San Pietro e nel resto del mondo, si è svolta una festa rock in piena regola. Il capo della protezione civile Guido Bertolaso aveva cercato di convincere gli organizzatori (Claudio Trotta di Barley Arts) a sospendere il concerto per rispetto alla morte del Papa.

IL VIDEO

Ma i Queen e gli organizzatori avevano fatto orecchie da mercante. «Non spostarlo è stata una scelta di pessimo gusto - ha commentato Bertolaso -. Si facciano pure il loro concerto e spero che non ci vada nessuno». In realtà l?affluenza è stata massiccia e il successo trionfale. E gli organizzatori hanno risposto a Bertolaso con un comunicato letto prima del concerto: «Al Papa piaceva la musica e non crediamo che la musica dei Queen sia un disturbo. Tuttavia con rispetto al mondo cattolico vi chiediamo un minuto di raccoglimento». Reazione del pubblico, equamente diviso fra giovani e mezza età? «Se avessero sospeso il concerto sarebbe stato comprensibile, ma buttare un biglietto da 50 euro sembrava eccessivo».

Dopo il minuto di silenzio, il via allo show. Paul Rodgers, il sostituto di Freddie Mercury, giacca bianca e pantaloni neri con banda argentata, scatena subito il delirio su «Tie Your Mother Down». Sulla carta l?idea di una tournée dei Queen senza Mercury appariva disastrosa: come pensare agli Stones senza Jagger, agli U2 senza Bono, ai Nirvana senza Cobain. Non è possibile fare un paragone fra Mercury e il suo sostituto che però non ha deluso. Sul piano tecnico l?ex cantante dei Free e dei Bad Company ha tutte le carte in regola: presenza, voce, cultura, storia e sa suonare anche bene la chitarra come ha dimostrato in «Crazy Little Thing Called Love». Non ha la personalità eclettica della «regina» Mercury. Ma nei brani fortemente caratterizzati come «I Want to Break Free» funziona alla grande pur nel dilemma irrisolto nello show fra essere artista originale e/o sosia.

Le immagini dei Queen clicca su una foto per andare alla galleria

Ha ragione chi vede nello show un patinatissimo karaoke. Già, ma che karaoke! Perchè fin da subito la gente dimentica che sul palco non ci sono più i Queen, ma due di loro Brian May e Roger Taylor, e viene travolta dalla bellezza di un repertorio da «Radio Gaga» a «A Kind of Magic» a «We Are the Champions». Una scaletta in cui non c?è niente da buttare.

Rodgers ha cercato di assecondare il mito in tutti i modi: ha afferrato il microfono trasformandolo in un simbolo fallico come faceva l?originale, ha cercato di trasmettere alla gente quella follia contagiosa. Ma alla fine, su «Bohemian Rhapsody» lascia il posto a un Mercury in video.

Mario Luzzatto Fegiz

05 aprile 2005

Hmmm...this is it translated using an online translator:

Nothing mourning, the Queen triumph in Rome The party rock was however open with a minute of silence in mark of respect. Open to the Palalottomatica the Italian tour

To the center Paul Rodgers, the novelty singing some Queen (italian associated press agency) ROME - English, laymen, iconoclasti and faithful to one of their classics («The Show Must Go On», the show should continue), the surviving and reborn Queen have open last night to the Palalottomatica of Rome their Italian tour that will touch tonight Milan, 7 Florence and the 8 Pesaro. In net contrast with the atmosphere that it reigned to San Pietro and in the remainder of the world, is itself carried out a party in full rock rule. The head of the civil protection Guido Bertolaso had wanted to convince the organizers (Claudio Between of Barley Arts) to suspend the concert for with respect to the death of the Pope.

THE VIDEO

But the Queen and the organizers had done ears from merchant. «Not to move it was it a choice of awful flavor - annotated Bertolaso -. Itself facciano too their concert and I hope that do not go us no». In reality the flow was bulky and the triumphant success. And the organizers answered to Bertolaso with a communiqué read before the concert: «To The Pope pleased the music and we do not believe that the music of the Queen is a trouble. Nevertheless with with respect to the catholic world we wonder a minute of concentration». Reaction of the public, fairly divided between youngsters and half hour age? «If they had suspended the concert would have been comprehensible, but to throw a cards from 50 euro seemed ecessive». After the minute of silence, the road to the show. Paul Rodgers, the substitute of Freddie Mercury, white jacket and black pants with silver band, incites immediately the delirium on «Tie Your Mother Down». On the card the idea of a tour of the Queen without Mercury appeared disastrous: how to think to the Stones without Jagger, to the U2 without Drindes, to the Nirvana without Cobain. It is not possible to do a comparison between Mercury and its substitute that however did not disappoint. On the technical plan the former singer of the Free and of the Bad Company has all the cards in rule: presence, voice, culture, story and knows to play also well the guitar how showed in «Crazy Little Thing Called Love». It has not the eclectic personality of the «queen» Mercury. But in the pieces strong characterized like «THE Want to Break Free» works to the large one simply in the dilemma irrisolto in the show between to be original artist and/or double.

The images of the Queen clicks on a photograph to go the arcade

It has reason who sees in the show a glazed karaoke. Already, but that karaoke! Why since immediately the forgetful people that on the platform there is not more the Queen, but two of them Brian May and Roger Taylor, and comes overwhelmed from the beauty of a repertory from «Radio Gaga» to «TO Kind of Magic» to «We Are the Champions». A staircase in which there is not nothing to throw. Rodgers wanted to go along with the myth in all of the manners: grasped the microphone trasformandolo in a symbol I fail how did the original, wanted to transmit the that people insanity contagious. But to the end, on «Bohemian Rhapsody» leaves the place to a Mercury in video.