Blue's Suggestions

Hey, jman. Excellent choice of a genre to explore - blues is my favorite. There are several regular posters here who are great resources for blues music suggestions. For example, there are some old threads you would probably enjoy here and here.

I particularly recommend Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, B.B. King and Muddy Waters. That's just for starters! ::

If you want to hear some rockers playing the blues listen to Johnny Winter, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc. Red House by Hendrix (any version you find) is wonderful.

Jimmy Page doing I Can't Quit You is pretty hot too.

Clapton with Derek & the Dominos cooks.

Johnny Winter...any album.

I would definitely recommend Rory Gallagher. In the Music of Choice, list 5 I think, I wrote a review about one of his albums. It is rocking blues. I think he rocks harder than Clapton, and he blues bluer than Clapton. One of his best albums to get is "Irish Tour '74." The live ones are the best. For the best studio album, I would say "Tattoo"

Jimi Hendix - The BBC sessions. It's a great 2 disc set of Jimi's performances with The Experience, and many of their live performances on a BBC channel, or BBC radio station. It's got a lot of great blues songs, and two that are on the album 3 times, they are "Driving South" and "Hey Joe." The reason they are on there 3 times each is because they show how Jimi changed from a popular, more bluesy famous artist in Brittain, and how later he just got more wild and experimental. Some highlights of the album are "Sunshine of Your Love" "Hey Joe" "Driving South" and "Day Tripper."

Hendrix does not get nearly enough credit for his blues material. Everyone focuses on the amazing, electric licks they don't always see the other side.

Red House, and Catfish Blues, are probably the best known, but there's lots more. The acoustic versions of Angel and Castles in the Sand take on a blues feel. I have a bootleg "Jimi, At Home By Himself". Great. :rockon:

• 6 months later...

I had seen a San Francisco/Bay Area group some year's back called 'The Bluejeans' & I highly recommend them. They had at least 1 CD out called 'A Night at the Saloon'& there is a few avail. on Amazon.com if interested. My copy is still on regular rotation even today! :jack: