Oldest Music You Like

Batman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maddy, any favorite groups?

I like The Skyliners, The Rivieras, The Flamingos, Lee Andrews and The Hearts, The Avalons, The Moonglows, The Harptones, The Demensions, The Jive Five, The Sheppards, The Passions, The Chimes, The Classics, The Paragons, The Earls, Billy and the Essentials,The Four J's, etc., etc.

I guess I must like 50s music best, Pop, R&B, Doo Wop, Rock and Roll, even though I think the 60s were the best decade musically in my lifetime, and the Big Band era was great. Bob Dylan said something to this effect in the 60s - "if we never wrote another song we'd have plenty to last us now".

I like harmony groups like the McGuire Sisters, Four Aces, Four Lads, Diamonds etc. best. :)

Dum dum dum dum, dum be doobee dum. They were great. Like the Skyliners "Since I Don't Have You" also. Jesse Belvin (Cliques, Shields) is another of my favourites.

And the GREAT Ivory Joe Hunter of course. :thumbsup:

White singers took his songs, copied them note for note, and had Hits with them. :thumbsdown:

Oldest stuff I've gone out of my way to buy would be Beethovan's "Moonlight Sonata." I also like Chopin's "Mazurka in A-" and Dvorak's "Symphony No. 9." Jazz would be Louis Armstrong's "West End Blues." Rock would probably be Buddy Holly. I've never really caught on to Elvis :elvis:. IMO his music hasn't aged well :jack:, and the fact that he didn't write his own songs depreciates my respect for him.

the oldest stuff i like is buddy holly ... so i guess that's mid-late 50s ... but my favorite stuff probably falls from 1965-1969 or 1970, that time period ... two of my favorite songs -- the yardbirds "over under sideways down," the who "i can't explain," came in '65 / '66, and then the beach boys Pet Sounds album ... woah. so, yeh, long story short, i love the mid-60s.

• 1 month later...

..Ella Fitzgerald singing George Gershwin ("Someone To Watch Over Me"), Vera Lynn singing all the WWII songs, and a tenor by the name of John McCormack from the 'teens and twenties of the 20th century...

This was some of the music my parents played from the time I can remember.

Lateboomer...

My Dad had fairly eclectic taste in music and the oldest stuff I ever listen to are probably the ones he played when I was just a little girl - Mario Lanza's "The Kiss" was his favorite, and he loved Frankie Laine, Roy Orbison, Hank Sr., Patsy Cline, Mahalia Jackson, Jimmie Rogers, Nat King Cole, Bill Withers, Tennessee Ernie Ford - (16 Tons) and Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John, Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Harry James and Rosemary Clooney. The Girl From Ipanema - by Stan Getz was a particular favorite for me, as was anything by Johnny Cash. When Folsom Prison Blues came out we must have heard it every weekend for a year. I still love those songs and artists. (And now with the internet they're not quite so hard to find.) As far as rock goes I guess Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry are my earliest favorites. Hey - I love htis thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good grief... all this talk about classical music ~ I'm not worthy!! :bow:

I WISH that I liked classical music... it would be so... well... classy! But alas, I can say the oldest music I like is the stuff of my mom's that I used to play on the record player when I was little... "Sixteen Tons" ~ Tennessee Ernie Ford; "Don't Be Cruel" ~ Elvis... you get the picture.

I do love Renaissance music. Does that count?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...