Oldest Music You Like

Batman

What is the oldest music you like to listen to?

I actually don't really listen to much before the Brittish invasion. And even early Beatles I don't really like. I would say that around 1965 is when music started getting really good in my opinion, particularly with the Who's "A Quick One/Happy Jack."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some Beethoven. Symphonies 1-9.

If you mean more contemporary, you can't miss with Big Band. Those cats can get after it.

:laughing:

What about Mozart? I think he had Beethoven by a few decades. Of course, he did start earlier being a prodigy and all. I'm particularly fond of his concertos. ;)

Oldest music? That would be Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons, Op. 8" by The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood, director. There might be something a bit older on a Christopher Parkening CD, but I'm not up on who wrote which Galliard. :guitar:

I love Opera... that´s not classic... as for classic music, I love Tachikovski and Lizt. When I was young I had the typical classic records all youngs had: Vivaldi´s Four Seasons and Adaggio di Albinoni.

My parents always listened to classic music and my father-in-law had one of the biggest classic music records collection of Spain.

As for classic rock, I guess Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis are the ones I prefer.

When i was younger I used to fall asleep listening to Johann Stauss my then favourite composer. Apparently I liked Handel before that but I can't remember, I like Beethoven too. Mozart= prodigy, Beethoven= genius. I Pick B over M. And I loved Thunder and Lightening by Strauss... ah... the first signs of liking rock!!

In terms of classical music, most of my favourite pieces were written by the "Romantic" composers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Some of my favourite composers are Satie, Ravel, Grieg, Faure, Puccini, Borodin and the king of them all, Debussy. Claire de Lune, Reverie and The Girl With The Flaxen Hair are some of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. I'm also fond of the Baroque composers, particularly Handel, Vivaldi and Pachelbel. Mendelssohn is another of my favourite composers and The Planets by Holst is one of my favourite orchestral pieces. I agree with Jr. about Big Band music. Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey et al (not Weird Al) could really swing. Some fantastic music was written in the 1930's and 1940's (Begin The Beguine, Stardust, Long Ago And Far Away, Sophisticated Lady etc.) and I love the crooners like Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Dick Haymes.

As far as rock n roll music, I don't like too much from before the Beatles came on the scene except for Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, The Everly Brothers and Elvis.

:guitar:

Rock and Roll Music

Chuck Berry

Just let me hear some of that

Rock and roll music,

Any old way you choose it;

It?s got a back beat, you can?t lose it,

Any old time you use it.

It?s gotta be rock and roll music,

If you want to dance with me,

If you want to dance with me.

I?ve got no kick againt modern jazz,

Unless they try to play it too darn fast;

And change the beauty of the melody,

Until they sounded like a symphony,

That?s why I go for that

Rock and roll music ...

I took my loved one over cross the tracks

So she can hear my man await a sax,

I must admit the have a rockin? band,

Man they were going like a hurricane

That?s why I go for that

Rock and roll music .....

Way down south they gave a jubilee,

The jockey folks they had a jamboree,

They?re drinkin? homebrew from a water cup,

The folks dancin? they all got shook up

And started playin? that

Rock and roll music ....

Don?t care to hear ?em play a tango,

I?m in the mood to dig a mambo;

It?s way to early for a congo,

So keep a rockin? that piano

So I can hear some of that

Rock and roll music ...

That´s a statement from prehistoric rock and roll! :thumbsup: :drummer: :drummer:

An I won´t post "Roll Over Beethoven" but it´s also talking about classic music...

It was 4th grade...i remember goin into the garage and seein a couple records, so i dusted off the record player and listened to Eddie Duchin. At first, i hated it, but i really started to like it. Then i got out a record nobody will believe. It was an irish record, full of irish folk songs and military songs. Since then, ive secretly grown fond of Irish Folk Music. And Scottish Bagpipes.

It was 4th grade...i remember goin into the garage and seein a couple records, so i dusted off the record player and listened to Eddie Duchin. At first, i hated it, but i really started to like it. Then i got out a record nobody will believe. It was an irish record, full of irish folk songs and military songs. Since then, ive secretly grown fond of Irish Folk Music. And Scottish Bagpipes.

I like Irish folk too! I didn't really mention that, because the songs I listen to are more recent, but the actual music is very old.

It may not be the oldest, but I remember that when " The Sting" came out, I learned to appreciate Scott Joplin and Ragtime music. Every hack learning the piano at that time (myself included ) HAD to have a version of ' The Entertainer ' in their repertoire. :: :laughing: