Classical music suggestions?

Brian

If I like 'adagio for strings' and 'Ode to Joy' what else will I like? Any suggestions along either of those lines?

Also, what conductor would you suggest for Mozart's Requiem? I have had a few Requiem CD's in my wish list on Amazon. But not really sure which one to buy.

Also, any 'ESSENTIAL CLASSICAL MUSIC SUGGESTIONS' will always be apprecitated.

Thanks in advance! :)

My favorite classical piece is

Dvorak, the Symphony No.9 ("From the New World" 1893)

I remember my parents getting me the conductor's score (sheet music for the orchestra) and a baton so I could be the guest conductor from my living room.

Also maybe check out the compilation bins(after xyz in the classical section) at the local cd store. Like best of Bach, or Mozart. Or the cd section at Costco. I've seen stuff like 'Breakfast with Bach'.

The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra is a highly regarded group.

Ravel's "Bolero", Vivaldi "Le Quattro Stagioni", Mozart "Symphony #25 in G" George Winston "Variations on the Kanon" (Originally Pachelbel)" Andrea Boccelli (I know, it's opera, I'm still including it here), "Con Ti Partiro". More, but these are some favorites....

Ken.

The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra is a highly regarded group.

Ah your killing me.... do you know Herbert Von Karajan? My friend turned me onto this composer. I ended up buying the DVD "Ludwig Van Beethoven Symphony No. 9 Choral" and love it. It is performed by the Berlin Philharmic Symphony. That's why I love "Ode to Joy" so much!

Sadly that is about the extent of my classical knowledge.

Might I recommend Rossini's "The Barber of Seville" - the overture is lovely. Oh yeah, and check out the FULL 11 minutes of his "William Tell" overture as well - I had no idea it was such a stunning and cinematic piece.

Hector Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique" is nice too. This one is a bit out of left field but it is worth looking for.

I personally like Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor by Bach and any of John Dowland's pieces for lute. Both John Williams (Aussie classical guitarist) and Jan Akkerman have played this music on their albums. Also if you can find Segovia's transcription of Bach's Chaconne, (or even John Williams version on "Virtuoso works for Guitar" on Sony Masterworks) it is a lovely piece worth listening to.

Thanks Amy, and Ken. Amy.... ewww Tchaikovsky has always been a composer I wanted to get into. And Ken, your suggestion of "Con Ti Partiro" even though its opera is still a great suggestion. This song actually has dramatic effect for me.... while working at Caesars in Vegas, I went to the Bellaggio on a lunch break. As you probably do or do not know the fountains at the Bellaggio sychronize music to water shows. Anyway, go figure, the first water show I was blown away by was the duet with Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman Con Ti Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye). Man that water show stopped me dead in my feet. Sooo many times, So many times, I wish I could go back in time and witness that show all over again.

Thanks for your suggestions... keep them coming by the way.! :)

Ken already mentioned several of my favorites :) I don't know classical music very well but if you like cello (which I love!) Yo-yo Ma is a great choice :thumbsup: These are more traditional than classical, but he plays on 2 albums: Appalachian Journey and Appalachia Waltz that are great - I don't actually own them (I should!) but have heard pieces and love the music. You can listen to samples on Amazon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

For something rare and different

search for

William Russo: Three Pieces For Blues Band And Symphony Orchestra Op.50 Part 2 [The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra conducted by Seiji Ozawa with the Siegel-Schwall Band.]

This was one side of an LP released by Deutsche Grammophon in 1973 (The other side being Leonard Bernstien: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story) but I think it has been repackaged in other ways at other times on other labels.

Erik Satie. He also wrote my favourite classical piece, "Gymnopédie No. 1"

I have about 5 versions here at home and recently purchased Dominic Miller's CD and his interpretation is my favourite (as of now).

If anyone wants to hear just the first few bars played over and over, click this site (it's a game) and then click 'start'. I suggest NOT to crank your speakers BEFORE you click start.

Fav Classical Song

Man, do I remember this piece or what? I learned to play it when I was six. I hate the other Gymnopédies, for some reason, I've played No. 2, certainly...

Gymnopédie 1 is wonderful, though. All those G maj7 chords. It's kinda difficult to play when your left hand isn't working properly to strike those chords, though.

Good mem'ries, ne'ertheless!

Love and mercy

Erik Satie. He also wrote my favourite classical piece, "Gymnopédie No. 1"

If you enjoy Mozart you will surely enjoy a little known composer named Schroter. He was one of Mozart's favorites. I highly recommend his Concerto for Piano/Klavier & Orchestra. Op.3. No. 3. recorded by brilliant pianist Murray Perahia. The CD also contains 3 Mozart piano concertos. The album is titled: "Mozart/Schroter Piano Concertos"-Perahia. The disc is manufactured by CBS Masterworks. Read the wonderful liner notes explaining the Mozart/Schorter connection.