ATC's Lyrical Discussion: Week 6

Here's this weeks lyrics. I'm posting these because of recent discussions in the "Concert" forum.

"Can't You See" - The Marshall Tucker Band

I'm gonna take a freight train

Down at the station, Lord

I don't care where it goes

Gonna climb me a mountain

The highest mountain

Gonna jump off

Nobody gonna know

Can't you see

Whoa can't you see

What that woman, Lord

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

Can't you see

What that woman

She been doin' to me

I'm gonna find me

A hole in the wall

I'm gonna crawl inside and die

'cause that lady now

Mean ol' woman Lord

Done told me goodbye

Can't you see

Whoa can't you see

What that woman, Lord

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

Can't you see

What that woman

She been doin' to me

I'm gonna buy me a ticket now

As far as I can

Ain't never comin' back

Ride me a Southbound

All the way to Georgia now

'till the train run out of track

Can't you see

Whoa can't you see

What that woman, Lord

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

Can't you see

What that woman

She been doin' to me

Oh Lord

Can't you see

Whoa can't you see

What that woman, Lord

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

Whoa can't you see

What that woman

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

(Whoa she's such a crazy lady)

Can't you see

What that woman

(What that woman)

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

(Whoa I can't stand it)

Can't you see

What that woman

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

(I'm gonna take a freight train)

Can't you see

(Down at the station, Lord)

What that woman

(Ain't never comin' back)

She been doin' to me

Can't you see

(Gonna ride me a southbound)

Can't you see

(All the way to Georgia now)

What that woman

('til the train run out of track)

Great guitar work in it, but the lyrics are too reminiscent of the typical hillbilly country&western tunes that are all too abundant out there. They have three subjects - drinkin' yer beer, drivin' yer truck, and losin' yer woman. Sometimes they find a way to include all three AND throw in the fact that the woman took the beer and the truck when she left...and sometimes the dog.

I do, however, like the song because it's more rock that C&W.

There's not actually a dude named Marshall Tucker, is there? Would you happen to know where the band name originated?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I've always found this song to be insanely addictive. It's one of those songs that i listen to once, and then play back again and again and again...

"I'm gonna buy me a ticket now

As far as I can

Ain't never comin' back

Ride me a Southbound

All the way to Georgia now

'till the train run out of track"

my favorite line of the song. ditto to ATC's comments. awesome song! :thumbsup: :headphones:

Great guitar work in it, but the lyrics are too reminiscent of the typical hillbilly country&western tunes that are all too abundant out there. They have three subjects - drinkin' yer beer, drivin' yer truck, and losin' yer woman. Sometimes they find a way to include all three AND throw in the fact that the woman took the beer and the truck when she left...and sometimes the dog.

I do, however, like the song because it's more rock that C&W.

There's not actually a dude named Marshall Tucker, is there? Would you happen to know where the band name originated?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

There is no Marshall Tucker. According to Carl, they saw the name on a key ring and liked the name. I actually submitted this song to Songfacts for this last update. I was very happy to see it there!

But to Sammy's reply, Marshall Tucker Band doesn't generally fall into the typical Country and Western song form factor. Although they do have this happen on occassion, it's not the majority of their music. In one of their songs, they actually describe their music as Country-Blues, which I think is a much better description.

I love this song. It is hard to just read the lyrics and try not to sing along. I think the lyrics are more bluesy than country. I can totally see a blues guy strumming the guitar and singing this about the devil woman that done broke his heart.

Fantastic, ATC. I'm glad you didn't let these discussions fall by the wayside. :thumbsup:

[/quote

But to Sammy's reply, Marshall Tucker Band doesn't generally fall into the typical Country and Western song form factor. Although they do have this happen on occassion, it's not the majority of their music. In one of their songs, they actually describe their music as Country-Blues, which I think is a much better description.

I'm trying Peaches. Every now and then I hit a set of lyrics that everyone seems to be eager to form their opinion or at least say something. It's kind of hit or miss. But I'll keep plugging away.

And Carole, I think country-blues can sing whatever they want to.

I actually like the term Country-Blues much better to describe The Marshall Tucker Band. But those are 2 of the key ingredients to Southern Rock.

No, I said I do like their MUSIC. It's just that the lyrics, including the ones to the above tune, are very country & western-ish....a lot of them about losing the woman. They should write a few where they actually get to keep the woman AND have sex with her. Sex and debauchery makes for much better rock 'n' roll.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

No, I said I do like their MUSIC. It's just that the lyrics, including the ones to the above tune, are very country & western-ish....a lot of them about losing the woman. They should write a few where they actually get to keep the woman AND have sex with her. Sex and debauchery makes for much better rock 'n' roll.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Sammy, that's the best rock 'n' roll out there! We'll write a song about it when we move into the Vatican.