The first song ever registered

Mike

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to hold any of this against me...

It's "Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles. Some of my friends loved the movie Can't Buy Me Love so much, they had a theme party where you were encouraged to dress up like your favorite character from the film. As we discussed the cultural significance of Patrick Dempsey over our favorite beverages, I kept spouting interesting tidbits about the song - like how it was one of the 5 Beatles songs to hold the top 5 chart positions at once, and how it was a rare song that started with the chorus. After enjoying more of my favorite beverages and ripping off my sleaves to complete the Patrick Dempsey look, I started thinking about putting this song information into some kind of database. So I put Filemaker on my Powerbook 2400 and started entering in song information. Of course, the first song had to be the one that gave me the idea in the first place.

I was a disc jockey, and the database was a wonderful show prep device, allowing me to access song information without digging through magazines and reference guides. Listeners loved hearing about the songs, so I put the database on line so anyone could enjoy it and contribute. A lot of people did, and we have Patrick Dempsey to thank. :thumbsup:

Carl

• 1 year later...

This story ought to be linked to the main page. It's like framing the first dollar bill in a business. Maybe a title -

-The birth of the fish-

I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to hold any of this against me...

It's "Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles. Some of my friends loved the movie Can't Buy Me Love so much, they had a theme party where you were encouraged to dress up like your favorite character from the film. As we discussed the cultural significance of Patrick Dempsey over our favorite beverages, I kept spouting interesting tidbits about the song - like how it was one of the 5 Beatles songs to hold the top 5 chart positions at once, and how it was a rare song that started with the chorus. After enjoying more of my favorite beverages and ripping off my sleaves to complete the Patrick Dempsey look, I started thinking about putting this song information into some kind of database. So I put Filemaker on my Powerbook 2400 and started entering in song information. Of course, the first song had to be the one that gave me the idea in the first place.

I was a disc jockey, and the database was a wonderful show prep device, allowing me to access song information without digging through magazines and reference guides. Listeners loved hearing about the songs, so I put the database on line so anyone could enjoy it and contribute. A lot of people did, and we have Patrick Dempsey to thank. :thumbsup:

Carl

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a random SF question. Does anyone else have a problem opening up their private topics from the My Fusion area? I have to click on "View Private Topics" about 10 times before it opens up. Everything else is fine...it's just that one link.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again thank Carl and his magnificent team of Greek gods who have made this board so flawless that the only thing I can complain about is as minute as one link not opening up with lightning fast speed.

This will be the second time today I have professed my love for Carl. I think I have a crush on the boss. :googly:

I have the flashing fgolder too...sometimes I must click five times or so before it disappears...

And everything´s fine for me... :) Only some thread which will go slow maybe (Random Thoughts right now) or the missing last post in Fun&Games... but just like Peaches, I can´t complain... ;)

I also seem to be having avatar troubles today. I tried to re-upload my avatar and was greeted by this message:

The following problems were found with this form:

The avatar was not uploaded. Often this is because the avatar upload directory is not writable on the server. Notify the site administrator of the issue.

Carl? Nikos? :stars:

It says it is set to 5.86 KB in the control panel for me :stars:

I figured out what one of the avatar problem was with me, I had right-clicked on a picture to see if it was hotlinked or linked to an image host, and clicked "block images from photobucket" erroneously. All I needed to do was unclick it - all sorted.