We hate Clear Channel!

scott

I called for help with this about a year ago, but things have gotten far, far worse.

What am I talking about? well I'm talkin' about the big conglomorated corporate evil that is media deregulation.

Last year the government passed laws that allow one company to own basically as many media outlets in a city (or given area) as they please. From a political aspect that sucked pretty hard core for me, but now it's suckin' hardcore for everyone, regardless of their political views (unless they are deaf)

Clear Channel owns my city, it controls everything, it is evil, it is wrong, it sucks a$$.

This post is brought on by the fact that today Clear Channel made a bold, evil move. Before today my local RnR station could basically do what it wanted, it just had to mention the name 'clear channel' every five seconds, well now Clear Channel has revamped my stations play list, it is now a 'classic' rock station, except it is evidently Satan's definition of classic rock, the stations playlist is now just full of supertramp and all the other wonders of the synthetic 80s, Loverboy is on the playlist, Tom Petty is off (hmmm I wonder why?) Nirvana is off, Men at Work is on, Audioslave and Rage is off, Foreigner is on. Led Zeppelin is on, but the only song that you have a chance of hearing by them is 'Stairway'. and that is the same for all the other classic bands, if you hear that they're gonna play Skynrd, you're in for hearing 'Freebird'.

So please join me in collectively saying 'F___ Clear Channel'

Amen Brother!

"Swing Low, Sweet Chariot!"

"We shall not be moved"

But, honestly, i know where your comin from. For us, its a LOCAL station. 104.3 WZYP. They think they rule world, they freakin sponsor everything they can. They are a Pop rock, hip hop whatever station. Basically, all the crappy music.

But, of course, with rap and stuff being so popular these days, they roll in the big dough with sponsorships all across alabama and tennesee. OOO...and then, they have the NERVE to steal music from our local Classic Rock station, one of the best stations ive ever heard. They stole the songs that the classic rock station plays most. TICKS ME OFF!!!

Ill be the first to sign your petition!

1. Paul Dube aka Psychocatholic

it is now a 'classic' rock station, except it is evidently Satan's definition of classic rock, the stations playlist is now just full of supertramp and all the other wonders of the synthetic 80s, Loverboy is on the playlist, Tom Petty is off (hmmm I wonder why?) Nirvana is off, Men at Work is on, Audioslave and Rage is off, Foreigner is on. Led Zeppelin is on, but the only song that you have a chance of hearing by them is 'Stairway'. and that is the same for all the other classic bands, if you hear that they're gonna play Skynrd, you're in for hearing 'Freebird'.

Welcome to Detroit WCSX.

Yeah it sucks Roger, but don't be apathetic about it, there is so much that people can do, protest, boycott, but if we all just thrive on apathy, nothing will be done, nothing will be accomplished, there is a strong underground following against the media conglomerates, they just need to get out there.

Wow, you lot have a choice of radio station? Down here where I live we have BBC stations, and then the local ones Pirate FM, Radio Cornwall, and thats it... no Classic Rock, 80's or anything.

Just middle of the road crap.

Hi Scott. Best way to hurt them is in the Hip Pocket - money. I don't think they'll take much notice of petitions BUT if their RATINGS drop ..... Encourage all your friends to change stations, assuming you can receive ones outside your City!

I hear ya scott, in fact i think we started talking about this subject in another thread...it started out by me asking about a version of Hey Joe that i heared on this new radio station i discovered in my area, and i LOVE it...it turns out it was i think the orginal version of Hey Joe done by a group called the Leaves...anyways, from that question it turned out how everyone was sick of the same ole same ole...i agree...before i discovered this station, the other classic rock stations played, you know, stairway to heaven, freebird, and etc...well you know what i mean...this station plays more of the obscure, but not too obscure stuff...you know those songs that are on great albums but just never get any air play...so where do I sign, WE ARE RIGHT BEHIND YA SCOTT!

Hi Scott. Best way to hurt them is in the Hip Pocket - money. I don't think they'll take much notice of petitions BUT if their RATINGS drop ..... Encourage all your friends to change stations, assuming you can receive ones outside your City!

Indeed. Today, the media, especially huge corporations like Clear Channel and FOX are a slave to ratings. So instead of a petition, tell everyone you know, or don't know even, to boycott it.

Oh by the way, help me by watching arrested development every sunday on FOX to get it higher ratings before it's cancelled! FOX sucks. They shut down many Simpsons sites for having images on them. They are money-whores. And yes, money-whore is the best word choice.

Scott....one way of boycotting the station is not giving them a listen. When home and on the PC, I would think WinAmp as a good alternate for listening to music. From there you can access almost any genre you may wish.

When not at a PC, another alternative would be satellite radio. I would look into that. Bottom line is, if the station loses their following of listeners because of a format change, they may revert back. Starting a website or online petition could help.

We have ClearChannel stations here in NY. Our classic rock station run by them is Q 104.3. It is one of the better classic rock stations I have ever listened to and hopefully it will never be changed!

I believe in the free market economy. That does not coincide with the belief that the free market belongs to the asswhole with the most money. Your chances are slim to take ad market share from ClearChannel, but grass roots guerilla tactics can be emotionally satisfying.

Sounds like a fortune cookie, no? Fact is, ClearChannel needs you and yours more than you need them. All broadcast radio moguls are quaking because of the advent of satellite radio which as yet hasn't fallen to fcc restriction.

Look to the sky and forget your local conglom. ClearChannel is black toast.

Today, the radio is obsolete anyways. It's no good for listening to music, most cars have a tape player or CD player. Not into tapes? For a pretty cheap price, you can get a tape that plugs into the headphone outlet of a portable CD player, and put the tape in the tape player, and you can play CD's through a tape player.

If you listen to the radio to find out about new music, don't bother, with any classic rock station really. I can find out about more music in a month at songfacts than a year listening to most rock radio stations. Even if you are lucky enough to hear a song youve never heard on a rock station, they probably won't say the name or artist of the song.