Your Favorite Cult TV Shows

Batman

do you think "six feet under" is mainstream? i don't know anyone else that watches it! yet i know there are lots of pages of discussion on imdb.

I've never heard of it. I suppose it is a cult show.

What about Star Trek? Its ratings were poor during its initial run, but thanks to the efforts of its hard core fans and syndication, it has spawned (to date) 4 spin off series, an animated series and 10 feature films (not to mention a plethora of novels, technical manuals and even a Klingon dictionary). STAR TREK RULES!!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!!

This is the kind of stuff I mean when I say cult show. Star Trek is the definition of a cult show.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two shows I wish were still on the air are Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Mystery Science Theater 3000. SGCtC was the talkshow cartoon where they'd just rip on the guests. MST2K played old, terribly bad movies while a guy and his two robot friends would add cynical commentary and funny one-liners.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast...i almost forgot about that show altogether. glad you refreshed my memory!

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 was pure genius. i have most of the DVD collection.

The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone

are two of my favorites :jester:

Twilight Zone is awesome! For my generation, definitely a cult show, I don't know anyone else besides my little brother that likes it. It's becuase today people don't like things that are psychologically scary or creepy, everyone likes things that are bloody or things that jump out and scare you for a second. TZ isn't really scary anymore, but it is still a very intelligent and usually cleverly written show.

In case my explanation of how Trigger Happy TV is different than other hidden camera shows didn't make sense, here is Dom Jolly's take on it (the star of it)

think the joy ot it is that it's me making a fool of myself rather than, I hope, other people. People don't get pissed off, it's more a case of, "What's going on?"

In America, though, I think the mood shifted from that to making a fool of others

It's been gone a while, and it's fans are "Mooseheads." It's been suggested that it's a steal of "Twin Peaks," but "Northern Exposure" and Cicely, AK are great places to visit. Speaking of Great Britain, how could you have forgotten Patrick McGoohan? "Danger Man" and "The Prisoner" have huge cult followings. As for The Great White North, there was a minor hit with: Winston Rekert, Dixie Seatle, Jonathan Welsh, and Ken Pogue. I'm speaking of that "bargain basement James Bond," "Adderly," where the "Department of Miscellaneous Affairs" got dragged into great peril weekly, much to the displeasure of "Major Clack." As for that "X-Files" fan, stay out of the shadows, because you might run into "Carl Kolchak" and one of his scoops that go BUMP! in the night. "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" didn't have an FBI badge or any kind of firearm to face down his many demons! Going back to Albion, "The Avengers" has survived color and cast changes, and even Ralph Fiennes attempt to "do Steed." :coolio:

Hawaii 5-0 ? Hogan's Heros ? Night Gallery ? Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman ? Rat Patrol ? Barney Millar ? Space 1999 ? U.F.O. ? Battlestar Galactica ? Thunderbirds ? Captain Scarlet ? Rocky and Bullwinkle--still genius! Soap ? And definately, bluesboy, SCTV, the BEST N.American satire/parody series ever ! No question.

What about Freaks and Geeks? It was on about 5 years ago: a very short-lived TV show about high school in the 80s. Linda Cardenilli and James Franco were in it, among others. The actors were great and there were excellent soundtrack choices.

Yet another excellent show that was cancelled far too soon. :(

Monty Python's Flying Circus is another incredibly funny cult classic.

How about their 90's Canadian troupe counterpart Kids in the Hall. Proved that the British weren't the only ones who could still make cross-dressing funny. I think they still show reruns on Comedy Central.

Does the Avengers qualify as a cult classic? I absolutely love this show. By today's standards it is probably quite hokey, but it was really quite innovative at the time. Although Honor Blackman was very good and Linda Thorson was OK, the series was at its peak with the incomparable Diana Rigg as the leather clad Mrs. Peel. I was about 6 or 7 when I first saw the Avengers with Diana Rigg, and I had the biggest crush on Mrs. Peel. I was devastated when she left the series. I love the unspoken sexual tension between Mrs. Peel and John Steed.

Has anyone ever heard of a British series called Survivors or The Survivors? It aired during the early or mid 70's. It told the story of a group of people in Britain who survived a pandemic that wiped out most of the earth's inhabitants. Some of them band together and form a commune. They scour the countryside searching for food, supplies and like-minded people while trying to prevent bands of thugs from destroying what they are trying to build. It starred Carolyn Seymour, among others. I would love to find out if the series is available on video or DVD.

:)

Sticking with the Canadian theme there was ?Four on the Floor? a short lived sketch comedy show in the mid 80?s with some of the funniest, most off-the-wall skits ever. Another great cult classic sketch show was ?SCTV? with John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Catherine O?Hara and the two greatest brothers ever, Bob and Doug McKenzie ? Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas.

Don't touch that dial! Don't touch that one either! And stop touching yourself! SCTV is on the air!

How about ?Beachcombers?, it ran throughout the 70?s and 80?s. I want to live on a houseboat, what an awesome show. There was also ?The Littlest Hobo?

"There's a voice that keeps on calling me.

Down the road. That's where I'll always be.

Oh, every stop I make, I make a new friend.

Can't stay for long. Just turn around, and I'm gone again.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down.

Until tomorrow, I'll just keep movin' on.

So, if you want to join me for awhile,

just grab your hat, and we'll travel light. That's hobo style.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down.

Until tomorrow, I'll just keep movin' on.

Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home."

And we sure cant forget Richard Dean Anderson and MacGyver, the things he could do with that Swiss Army Knife!

Oo yeah the Dr Who series is being shown in Britain first (obviously since it's british) I believe according to my Canadian friend that it's being shown on CBS very soon,so look out for it! it's great! I love it,specifically because Saturday tv was crap before lol,DR Who is befor my time,so I've never seen it till now.

I also like Sex & the City,Friends,Only Fools & Horses,Charmed! Ooo..and Smallville. Faulty Towers is excellent too!