Classic Rock Reincarnated

Batman

In which songs have you heard really direct influence on newer artists. I don't mean stuff like "Modest Mouse wouldn't be here without Chuck Berry, so Chuck Berry." I mean stuff like songs or bands that sound really similar to older songs or bands.

One that comes to mind right away, and probably other peoples minds quickly, is Boston's "More Than a Feeling" and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Just listen to the chorus, the guitar is just a little higher pitched in "More Than a Feeling."

Another good example, although neither song is classic rock, is Oasis's "Wonderwall" which has the exact same chord structure during the verses at least. Same chords, same progression, same everything!

You can clearly hear a BIG Ramones influence in the music of The Offspring, Green Day, Rancid, etc. Those bands are successful in a way The Ramones never were. It is like The Ramones did all the hard work, pioneering a new sound, and all these other bands are now selling the millions of records The Ramones should have sold. Bands such as Metallica, Pearl Jam, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns n' Roses and Rob Zombie have all publicly acknowledged the impact and influence The Ramones have had on their own careers. Nirvana even payed tribute to The Ramones on their album 'In Utero' (the Hey! Wait! chorus of 'Heart Shaped Box' was a lift of the Wait! Now! shout in The Ramones 'I Just Want To Have Something To Do').

So I think music owes a damn lot to The Ramones. As Johnny Ramone himself said: "I always dwell on the fact that we could have been better. But I feel The Ramones were the most influential American rock band. And that's pretty good. I'm sure a lot of other people out there think something different, but let them name the bands. You have The Doors and The Beach Boys, great bands. But name the other bands that came out of being influenced by them."

True, the Doors influenced the dark grunge music. But as for sound, nobody after them sounds like the doors. Although they aren't incredibly influential soundwise, they were very unique.

The whole "Stoner Metal" movement of the nineties that is still continuing today is heavily influenced by 70's heavy punk and 70's heavy metal. In a stoner metal album, you will hear a lot of influence by Black Sabbath, early Blue Oyster Cult and the Dead Kennedys. More metal than punk though. Stoner metal is the name now given to todays real hard rock bands. These bands include Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet (early days), Nebula, Queens of the Stone Age, and Sleep.

The whole "Stoner Metal" movement of the nineties that is still continuing today is heavily influenced by 70's heavy punk and 70's heavy metal.

Isn't Heavy Metal a product of the sixties? I believe Steppenwolf was the first group to use the term in Born To Be Wild.

True, the Doors influenced the dark grunge music. But as for sound, nobody after them sounds like the doors. Although they aren't incredibly influential soundwise, they were very unique.

I agree with Batman and Johnny Ramone. Soundwise, the Doors are very unique, a great band. But you can't hear their sound in any modern day bands. They may have been an influence on grunge bands coming out of Seattle artistically or lyrically but soundwise they owe more to the Ramones. And the sound is what I'm getting at. :thumbsup:

I wouldn´t say Joy Division is classic rock at all, and I didn´t listen to Interpol... but grunge bands do really sound like 60´s music and garage band are also very similar.

I mean, they might sound like classic rock, but classic is older, in any case...

I hear almost no difference between Phish and the Grateful Dead!

The Grateful Dead were undoubtedly an influence on Phish. They are alike in that they're both improvisational jam bands with very devoted fans, but their overall sounds are different.

Phish has more of a jazz base, whereas the Dead is more folksy. Lyrically they're different as well, with Robert Hunters songs generally being serious and deep. Phish's songs are more silly and tounge in cheek.

I would say they're kindred spirits, but if they sound a whole lot alike to you, then you haven't listened to them very much.

I agree with Batman and Johnny Ramone. Soundwise, the Doors are very unique, a great band. But you can't hear their sound in any modern day bands. They may have been an influence on grunge bands coming out of Seattle artistically or lyrically but soundwise they owe more to the Ramones. And the sound is what I'm getting at. :thumbsup:

With the Ramones, though, it's kind of hard to see their influence, since right after they became big, the eighties happened, which sounds nothing like punk. I would say punk music was more of a changing of the guard, rock-wise. Putting rock back in the hands of youth rebellion, seeing as bands like Led Zeppelin and Yes were hardly rebellious music. For the record, I like Led Zeppelin and Yes, and don't like the Ramones. That doesn't stop the Ramones from being influential, of course.

I would say they're kindred spirits, but if they sound a whole lot alike to you, then you haven't listened to them very much.

Well, I haven't listened to a whole song by either, just snippets. Perhaps I should hear more.

After The Ramones got big? The Ramones never got big. They never had a top 40 album or a single that went gold. They had such a huge impact and they weren't popular like Led Zeppelin. I think that makes their far-reaching influence even more incredible. They were a band in a million. :bow:

And Batman, you said you didn't like The Ramones. I think to make a judgement on their influence you need to listen to them extensivley and really know their music. :)

So I think their influence is easily heard in records by bands such as Green Day, The Spazzys, The Offspring and scores of other 90's alternative bands. These bands owe a direct debt to the Ramones. ::

After The Ramones got big? The Ramones never got big. They never had a top 40 album or a single that went gold. They had such a huge impact and they weren't popular like Led Zeppelin. I think that makes their far-reaching influence even more incredible. They were a band in a million. :bow:

And Batman, you said you didn't like The Ramones. I think to make a judgement on their influence you need to listen to them extensivley and really know their music. :)

So I think their influence is easily heard in records by bands such as Green Day, The Spazzys, The Offspring and scores of other 90's alternative bands. These bands owe a direct debt to the Ramones. ::

Really, they never had a top forty hit? Not even Blitzkrieg Bop? And about me not liking them, It's not because I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, I just don't like their sound much. It is just too simple for my liking. I do realize they are a big influence though

it immediatly made me think of Velvet Underground's "The Gift".

You mean "I´m just a gift to the women of this world, etc?" That´s a great song in an incredible album, "Coney Island Baby", Lou Reed, 1976. It´s no longer the VU but anyway, it´s like Van Morrison and Them, you can´t think of one without the other...