Top 10 Forgotten Classic Rock Albums

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old Chad&Jeremy album. Guess it must be a real forgotten record (and a classic too, as it´s not a rarity...) coz I can´t even find their songs on google nor allmusic... They sing "There but for fortune", "In the early morning rain", "Should I", "The girl who sang the blues" and many others.

Maybe it´s a compilation (it´s called "I have dreamed", after one of the songs) or maybe it was only released in the UK...? I know it´s a rather known album, as I saw it a couple of times in some old records shop, and also in some friend´s places...

...or maybe I should put this in the "Questions and Answers" thread?

AMUSED TO DEATH - ROGER WATERS. possibly the finest solo album ever. incredible. someone back me up on this please? it drives me mad that no one else seems to know or like it.....there's just me and the guy that got me into it! peace and love to Dave 'Kade' Cheale for turning me onto Floyd

i reckon i own nearly a thousand cd albums! - so amazingly, well to me anyway, i haven't heard any of these?! - which one do you recommend? in fact name three and within a month i'll have em all and ill post reviews of em..... beg your pardon, ive got love 'forever changes' which of course is absolutely marvellous...

i reckon i own nearly a thousand cd albums! - so amazingly, well to me anyway, i haven't heard any of these?! - which one do you recommend? in fact name three and within a month i'll have em all and ill post reviews of em..... beg your pardon, ive got love 'forever changes' which of course is absolutely marvellous...

C'mon...for the team, get 'em all and review them. I find it hard to pick 3. Traffic, Badfinger and Blind Faith were probably the most commercially successful of the bunch. Take 3 others if you want...you can't go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Edna - I didn't know that Shes about a Mover was by Doug Sahn - I do remember that one Uncle Joe. We must have similar tastes. I also love Love/Arthur Lee - Anyone consider Moby Grape a forgotten classic? And for the teeny bopper in all of us how about Tommy James and the Shondells - I know there's been several covers of Crimson and Clover -(or was that Mony Mony?) but they had several other hits as well. My favorite (and remember I was about 10 or 11 when this came out) was "I think we're alone Now". And who could forget Gary Puckett and the Union Gap? Not so forgotten but The Lovin' Spoonful were great also - Summer in the City and Do You Believe in Magic are 2 of my favorites. :headphones:

Here's some background on Sir Doug.

Mendocino was another hit, very big locally (Mendocino is a coastal village about 150 miles north of San Francisco).

Mendocino, Mendocino,

Where life's such a groove

You blow your mind in the morning.

We used to walk through the park,

Make love along the way in Mendocino.

Like I told ya, can you dig it?

If you wanna groove, I'll be glad to have you.

I love you so, please don't go,

Please stay here with me in Mendocino.

The song also appears on the 2004 "Deluxe" edition of the Easy Rider soundtrack(?) on a second disc that adds an assortment of classic rock from the psychedelic era that were not part of the movie.

Here's some background on Moby Grape, from the e-book version of Fuzz Acid & Flowers

One of San Francisco's best loved bands, Moby Grape were formed in Marin County and soon attracted a large Bay Area following. Miller and Stevenson had previously played with Marsh Gas, an earlier Marin County outfit, and Lewis and Mosley with Joel Scott Hill and The Strangers. Newkirk had also played with Lewis in Peter and the Wolves. Lewis had also played in a surf band called The Cornells. Skip Spence, of course, had been the original drummer with Jefferson Airplane, but left the band because he wanted to play guitar. The band were soon offered a recording contract by Columbia and their classic first LP was issued in 1967. The album also contained a full colour poster of the band. However, the record company disasterously launched them in an unprecedented blaze of publicity and released the album's ten tracks as 'A' or 'B' sides of five singles simultaneously. There were some fine tracks on the album. Hard rockers like Hey Grandma and Omaha (complete with psychedelic intro) appear alongside laid back tracks like Someday, 8:05 and Sitting By The Window. The group featured three lead guitarists and all sang. The end result was a structured album with diverse vocal harmonies and some fine interweaving acid guitar work. Sadly they were overexposed and both their album and singles sales were bitterly disappointing.

The next album Wow contained a number of short compositions with melodic guitar work, and the opening tracks on each side, The Place And The Time and He, both contained orchestral arrangements which was uncommon among San Franciscan bands at that time (although in England groups like The Beatles and The Moody Blues were using them regularly). One track, featuring Lou Waxman and his orchestra and starring Arthur Godfrey on banjo and ukelele has to be played at 78 rpm! In The USA only, a free bonus album Grape Jam was issued with Wow, and this featured Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper on keyboards. Commercially, Wow made little impact - the group could not recover from their earlier over-exposure. Towards the end of 1968 they split - but by 1969 they had reformed again as a foursome without Skip Spence. They released the competent Moby Grape '69 and did a series of live gigs, but generated little interest outside of California. So 1970 saw them split for the second time and Mosley left for good to join the Marines

Ultimately Moby Grape never attained their true potential on record, but their first two albums are recommended as offering a glimpse of their real ability.

Skip Spence sadly died on April 16th 1999.

(Vernon Joynson/Stephane Rebeschini/Chris Williams)

And more lowdown from allmusic.com

Mendocino was another hit, very big locally

Not only locally, Bazooka... I remember that song, it´s from 69 or 1970... I didn´t know who sang it but I also remember it was even translated into french, spanish and italian and was a huge summer hit.

I´ve just looked among my old singles, it´s still there... I didn´t even know who that band was.

The Grassroots were a fantastic band. John Candy starred in a movie called Uncle Buck, late 80's. He is walking through a packed house party filled with a bunch of 17-19 year old kids. They are blasting the newest music of the day and Candy is bopping thru the crowd doing a little dance step, trying to fit in, he says's "Hey who is this The Grassroots?" I guess you have to see the movie, but that line cracks me up every time.

:happybanana:

That´s a kind of "Home Alone", I guess? Or it´s a movie with McAuley Culkin... they might be showing it on TV one of these days... That must be one of the few reminders of the Grassroots, I thought nobody remembered them...

It's a hilarious movie, one of Candy's lesser known efforts. Culkin is in it..it is pre-Home Alone. It's always on TV....there is a cameo by Mike Starr, one of my favorite character actors, he plays a drunk clown coming to do a kids birthday party...that is an amazingly funny scene.

I love Candy (Buck) and Culkin's (Miles) exchange...

Miles: Where do you live?

Buck: In the city.

Miles: You have a house?

Buck: Apartment.

Miles: Own or rent?

Buck: Rent.

Miles: What do you do for a living?

Buck: Lots of things.

Miles: Where's your office?

Buck: I don't have one.

Miles: How come?

Buck: I don't need one.

Miles: Where's your wife?

Buck: Don't have one.

Buck: It's a long story.

Miles: You have kids?

Buck: No I don't.

Buck: It's an even longer story.

Miles: Are you my Dad's brother?

Buck: What's your record for consecutive questions asked?

Miles: 38.

Buck: I'm your Dad's brother alright.

Miles: You have much more hair in your nose than my Dad.

Buck: How nice of you to notice.

Miles: I'm a kid - that's my job.

Anyone consider Moby Grape a forgotten classic?

Moby Grape is a little dated-sounding. The softer songs are "folky", almost to the point of Peter, Paul & Mary, but other tracks remind me of Buffalo Springfield.

The rocker Omaha is still a classic, and made this list of "songs that shaped Rock" from an old thread. Other artists have cited it as noteworthy.