Mitch Hedberg Dies

brightatnight

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5323039.html

St. Paul comedian Mitch Hedberg, a cult favorite on college campuses, died Wednesday while traveling on the East Coast between shows.

The cause of death was not immediately known, but Hedberg's troubles with drugs were a staple of his act. His busy touring schedule had become erratic in recent weeks. He had failed to appear for a weeklong engagement at Richmond, Va.'s Funny Bones comedy club, according to the club's spokesperson, Jessi Plucknett.

I found this on E-Online news:

PASSING: Mitch Hedberg, a funnyman who got his first big break on The Late Show with David Letterman and went on to appear in MTV's Comikaze, Comedy Central's Comedy Product, and NBC's Comedy Showcase, died March 30, reportedly after suffering a heart attack. He was 37.

I am so sad and so shocked. Mitch always made me laugh.

I am so sad. The first time I saw him was on some Comedy Central special and I honestly cried I was laughing so hard. Here are some of his funniest quotes...JR, I think you'd enjoy the first one.

I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Boy, you really like Tide."

I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

I got in an argument with a girlfriend inside of a tent. That's a bad place for an argument, because I tried to walk out, and had to slam the flap.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

I used to do drugs. I still do drugs. But I used to, too.

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

I like cinnimon rolls, but I don't always have time to make a pan. That's why I wish they would sell cinnimon roll incense. After all, I'd rather light a stick and have my roommate wake up with false hopes.

I opened-up a yogurt, underneath the lid it said, "Please try again." because they were having a contest that I was unaware of. I thought maybe I opened the yogurt wrong. ...Or maybe Yoplait was trying to inspire me... "Come on Mitchell, don't give up!" An inspirational message from your friends at Yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend: Don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

RIP, Mitch...

I got in an argument with a girlfriend inside of a tent. That's a bad place for an argument, because I tried to walk out, and had to slam the flap

Yup, that's the guy! He was funny.

The way he told this one when I saw it, he said he got into an argument with his girlfriend, and since he couldn't slam the tent flap, he "pulled the zipper up really, really fast."

LOL. Man, that's too bad.

I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

I opened-up a yogurt, underneath the lid it said, "Please try again." because they were having a contest that I was unaware of. I thought maybe I opened the yogurt wrong. ...Or maybe Yoplait was trying to inspire me... "Come on Mitchell, don't give up!" An inspirational message from your friends at Yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top.

I hadn't heard those before. Mitch was on David Letterman 10 times, and Dave liked him so much he once quoted his routine later in the show. We'll miss you Mitch.