Earworms

What are the worst songs to get stuck in your head, whether they are so catchy they just won't go away, or if the lyrics are SO bad you would cut out the earworm part of your brain never to hear that song again.

I hate having Kung Foo Fighting stuck in my head cause it makes me laugh, and then I look weird laughing at nothing. Ditto Escape (The Pina Colada Song).

Wind Beneath My Wings. It's so over the top and I cry when I hear it.

Anything by any of the pop princesses, Britney, Christina, Jessica. Same with boy band tunes.

and my worst earworm-You Light Up My Life. I don't think I have to explain why it's bad to have that song stuck in your head. :stars:

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an earworm this morning. It was so bad, yet so weird.

Information from the 80s cafe enabled me to complete this post, so I'm happy about that. But on with the show..

It was five years ago, that I read an article in the UK-wide newspaper The Guardian. Great paper, dam'-near impossible crossword. This was the week that Christina Aguilera came to the fore with her debut single, Genie In A Bottle, and she who was then unmarried and secretly going by the name of Britney Spears, was attempting to win the hearts of thousands upon thousands of the young, impressionable youth by wearing a school uniform. Good times.

Anyway, the hook of this song gets in my head. The title repeats over and over upon horrendously tender pre-teen rock vocals.

And it gets in my head. And again, and again.

As I've previously stated about this song, the plan was that it got to number one and pulled the UK pop scene apart. I was one of a select few hundred who got their hands upon a copy. It's since become a prized artefact in a collection, as I'm one of the few who still owns it.

And it gets in my head, again, again, again. How I wish it would stop.

But it won't. Excrement occurs.

Yours, as ever, but probably with more to come as more songs come into my head.

Matt

Ah yes, another crazy story to tell.

My darling former girlfriend, Mel, Westlife fan that she is, was, and forever shall be, had a habit of wrecking "the moment" between us. Having just broken a dwelling kiss in the backyard of my house, we figured we should head out to hers.

With me being thirteen at the time, and she a mere eleven, we had to employ the help of my mother to drive us there.

We set out in the car, eyes closed, lips forever interlocked, as was the custom prior to my discovery of the Internet.

Cruisin' we set out to do, and cruisin' we did.

Back then, CD singles were all that caught Mel's eye. She'd just been on a four-week long trip to Australia with her mother, her sister, and her father, and bought herself a seven-track CD single with a 220-second long interview at the end with their former manager, Ronan (codename Rodent) Keating.

I drifted off to sleep eventually, guided by Ms. Massey's honey-drenched soprano ramblings to the vague tune of Swear It Again, while I, like others, was thinking "F*** this song." Swear indeed I did.

Three weeks later I came around to Mel's house. Thankfully now she'd acquired some new CDs, including The Offspring, Groove Armada, and those two-hit wonders, The Honeyz.

As she held me in her arms, she quoted some words which will stay with me ever since.

"Some people say

that everything has got its place in time

even the day must give way to the night

but I'm not buying

cos in your eyes

I see a love that burns eternally

and if you see how beautiful you are to me

you'll know I'm not lying

sure there'll be times we wanna say goodbye

but even if we try

there are something's in this life won't be denied

won't be denied"

More of the same, I'm afraid, but for that moment, we had found peace.

It wasn't until I phoned her this evening that she reminded me of this story. And 'pon my life, never will I forget that day.

Retrospectively tearful

Matt

• 2 months later...

A lot of New Wave from the 80's gets stuck in my head easily, such as Turning Japanese, Rock Me Amadeus, Tarzan Boy, etc. I've always tried to steer as far away from that type of music as possible so it doesn't repeat itself in my head over & over again. Whoever writes it though, does a good job at making something that sticks.

There's no one song, but on my honeymoon we went on a tour of Volcanoes Park in Hawaii and that whole day I had "Walking on the Moon" stuck in my head.

Most recently, I had the song "Rock your Body" stuck in my head for weeks!!!!

I hate how everytime they show a CD compilation of Dance Hits on tv, those short 10 second samples get stuck in my head for what seems like an eternity. And as soon as they're out of the clear, another Dance CD commercial comes along & it's like Deja Vu.

I hate how everytime they show a CD compilation of Dance Hits on tv, those short 10 second samples get stuck in my head for what seems like an eternity. And as soon as they're out of the clear, another Dance CD commercial comes along & it's like Deja Vu.

That happens to me too, with the dance ones and with the Totally Hits ones. The worst one was in the late '80's with this commercial with two hippies: "Is that Freedom Rock, man?" "Yeah, man" "Well, turn it up, man!!"

• 2 years later...

With me it's usually a song I can't stand. I hear it on the radio, think This is horrible and then it's stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Right now it's All I Need Is A Miracle, even though I'm listening to something completely different right now.

just after reading that I have that song too... :crazy:

Thank You Fintan! }:(