Chicago

Jugband_Blues

I recently started listening to Chicago, and have found them to be excellant, with their own distinctive sound and quality to their music. Upon some research I've seen that they are not in the Rock and Roll HOF, despite:

13 platinum albums

5 #1 albums

20 top 10 singles

5 #1 singles

over 120 million record sales

I was just wondering how everyone else liked Chicago, and if they have any idea how they're not in the hall.

I very much like the music of Chicago. My favourite Chicago tunes are Poem For The People, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, Old Days and Call On Me. While I agree with Bluesboy that Chicago's early material was their best, I don't agree that Peter Cetera's influence ruined the band. If you like the sytle of music that Chicago plays(lots of brass and woodwinds), check out Lighthouse (particularly their early material) and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Sure the first Chicago albums were the best ones. All the classic songs like "25 or 6 to 4", "Does anybody know what time it is?", etc... and a song that was in the second album, "At the sunrise"... I remember when they were called "Chicago Transit Authority"... I lost my old records in some moving or divorce, as usual... I had to get me some cds...

I'm sad to say that I own a couple of Chicago albums after Peter Cetera.....I was a teenager and into that sappy stuff. Still, on Chicago 17, there's a song called "Remember the feeling" that I think is really pretty.

As for their old stuff, "25 or 6 to 4" rocks!!!!

Say what you will about Peter Cetera, but the man had/has an appealingly distinctive voice, could sing excellent harmonies, a good songwriter and was a better than average bassist for Chicago. The entire band got way too comercial after about the Chicago 8 album. Today they are all just the shell of a great memory.

My personal favorites:

Lowdown

Searchin' For So Long

And so what was the meaning, Jr?

edna, if you're reading this, you are within easy reach of the facts.

I was puzzled just like jr.

The best explanation I found in my research is that it is about being up at 3:34 or 3:35 a.m. [twenty-five or (twenty-)six to four] with lyric writer's block.

Have you heard the one about George Harrison's Bluejay Way? The song is supposedly pretty much just a literal report of Harrison getting tired waiting for friends who couldn't find the house (on Bluejay Way) one foggy night in L.A. It's funny that it was made to sound so heavy and ominous.

25 or 6 to 4 is one of the more interesting songs on Songfacts, and it gets a lot of hits.

The only band I can think of that had such a hard swing from fantastic ("Beginnings") to craptastic ("Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry") is Jefferson Airplane (listening to "White Rabbit" vs. "We Built This City" is like watching Ali fighting Foreman and then watching him fight Larry Holmes when he should have been home watching Matlock).

A great disc to buy if you can find it is Chicago's Live At Carnegie Hall. Excellent stuff with the band near their peak.

The Chicago/Earth, Wind and Fire tour is a good one. Sara and I saw it last summer and had a great time.

If you see me walking by, and the tears are in my eyes... you know what to do.

Well....Peter Cetera has had more success individually than the band has since he left! He (and Roy Orbison) have the most distinctive voice(s) in Pop Music.

Maybe that's my trouble - I like POP, which is short for POPULAR. . I've never really considered Chicago as a ROCK Band anyhow.

"If You Leave Me Now" is in a League of it's own and "Hard For me To Say I'm Sorry" is not far behind it. My favorite Chicago song WITHOUT PC on lead vocals is "Saturday In The Park".

Some of you guys would have probably voted him out in the first round of "American Idol" from the sound of your posts.

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT!

Jefferson Airplane (listening to "White Rabbit" vs. "We Built This City") Starship.

Well, what was left of the original band were no longer freaked out flower children in 1985. Also Mickey Thomas sounds a bit different to Grace Slick. (I can't believe it - she's older than me). You should've used the beautiful song "Sara" as an example, Carl, instead of the schmaltzy "City" and you may have gotten a few arguments.

And so what was the meaning, Jr?

bazooka's got it, edna.

Anyway, here are the lyrics. They fit with the explanation, anyway.

Waiting for the break of day

Searching for something to say

Dancing lights againnst the sky

Giving up I close my eyes

Sitting cross-legged on the floor

25 or 6 to 4

Staring blindly into space

Getting up to splash my face

Wanting just to stay awake

Wondering how much I can take

Should have tried to do some more

25 or 6 to 4

Solo

Feeling like I ought to sleep

Spinning room is sinking deep

Searching for something to say

Waiting for the break of day

25 or 6 to 4

25 or 6 to 4

Seems to me it could also have something to do with the ending of a relationship, as well as trying to write a song. I suppose it's open to interpretation in that regard.