Before Sunrise

Ken

I rented this film last night after hearing a small blurb about it on NPR. What a film. I simply cannot believe that it has been around for ten years and I had never watched it. Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as Jesse and Celine, they are two travellers whose paths happen to cross on a train from Budapest to France. Jesse has to disembark in Vienna and asks Celine to spend the night walking around Vienna with him and taking in the sights. With each step and each word exchanged, the two fall deeper and irretrievably in love with one another. They talk about everything from sex, to their parents, music and television and we the viewer are drawn to them. Director Richard Linklater allows Hawke and Delphy the space to develop their characters and give them depth and texture. You care about them and want to know more. There isn't much in the way of action and absolutely no special effects here, rather, everything is in the dialogue. And as the viewer, we know that these two must part in the morning. How that is to be handles is answered in the equally-great "Before Sunset", which takes place nine years after. If you like films along these lines, you'll not be disapponted. Honest.

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

This movie came on HBO one night when I was about ready to go to bed. I couldn't stop watching. There are no special effects, very little drama, and very simple editing, but I couldn't take my eyes off it. This proves what good writing can do for a movie.

The sequel is in my Netflix queue, but I have to get through Donnie Darko and Reanimator first.

• 1 month later...

just watched before sunrise recently and loved it. (ethan hawke is the image of jeff buckley in that movie which made it all the more watchable!). the writing is wonderful. i love the idea that you can just fleetingly meet someone and have such an intense experience with them in the space of twenty four hours. can't wait to watch the second part, before sunset.

All this talk of Jeff Buckley has enticed me to buy his Grace CD on e-Bay. Was that a good choice? Gisela, you wouldn't steer me wrong now, would ya?

And as to Before Sunset...I was asleep before sunset. I found it to be boring. Before Sunrise was good.

i agree with diggs! and grace was the best choice of his catalogue as it was one of his few official releases before his death. the other releases are mostly live stuff and other obscure recordings mostly of interest to those who are already fans. as diggs says, give it a few listens. the most instantly accessible track is probably the cover of 'hallelujah' which jeff is most famous for. there are a few other covers on there as well. it's his own work that i particularly love though - 'so real', 'last goodbye', 'lover, you should've come over' (my current favourite song of all time), 'eternal life' and 'dream brother'. his lyrics are beautiful. please please please let me know what you think uncle joe, after a few listens!! i'm so proud of you!!!!!!! :) :) :)

'Next I suppose I should look into Tim Buckley'

Uncle, you surely should. I am amazed he isn't well known in the US, or indeed anywhere for that matter. If it helps to focus your listening pleasure, his early albums are a bit folky but the rest (bar his last one which was iffy) are wonderful fusions of folk, blues and whiteboy soul. Take your pick, probably best starting with a compilation as he produced a lot of music, and enjoy!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...