Frank Sinatra

Weellll...kind of.

The song is actually originally from a 1937 musical called 'Babes in Arms' and was written by the famous duo Rodgers and Hart.

Back in the 30s, the word tramp sort of meant what it means today, but without the added obvious sexual inuendo. It implied that the girl thought she was better than she actually was, and liked to put on a show just to impress people. Thats what the song is about..but I'd guess that Frank knew exactly what it also meant!!

The same for me, he surrounded himself with top-notch arrangers with the likes of Nelson Riddle, Billy May and Gordon Jenkins for consistently high quality album releases. IMO, there were less high quality albums at Reprise even though he set the bar very high for any vocalist during any period. I guess it's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I think the whole reason Frank started Reprise is so that he and his buddies like Deano could have more control over his work - they could choose the songs they sang, choose the arrangers etc. But still, I think the work may have been a bit inferior.

A lot has been written about the superior quality of the Capitol period and I agree - "Songs for Young Lovers", a 10" LP I found at the Salvation Army shop for a buck is awesome! I also have a 7" ep from his Columbia period too which is quite good. But I cannot comment about the Reprise period as I do not know much about his work then, outside of "New York New York".

Nancy Sinatra was also that label - I wonder why?

From what I hear, Frank was in a bit of financial trouble in 1962 and sold his interest in the Reprise label to Warner Brothers, thus creating the Warner-Reprise brand. Just a little bit of useless trivia for y'all.