PETA and The Pretenders

RonJonSurfer

Chrissie Hynde Slams Benetton For Animal Cruelty

Singer Chrissie Hynde has attacked fashion retailer Benetton over the wool it uses to manufacture its clothes.

The Pretenders star, who is an ardent animal rights campaigner, has attacked the company's chairman Luciano Benetton for importing merino wool from Australia.

Her letter to the Benetton boss states: "I was deeply upset to learn from my friends at People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) about the extreme suffering of merino lambs and sheep in the Australian wool industry."

"It saddens me to learn that Benetton, a company that I have always thought of as holding high standards of human and animal welfare, has refused to stop buying cruelly obtained Australian wool."

This is not the first time that Hynde has targeted a high street fashion retailer - she spent time in jail after joining PETA in storming the original GAP store in New York.

the worst i've heard is the use of foetal lamb's wool by D&G because apparently it's very soft

Do you mean that the lamb is aborted so that they can take the wool? That's pretty nasty.

You all know my feelings about PETA ( ), but I am curious what is meant by cruelty in the wool industry. Are the sheep kept in inhumane conditions? Otherwise, I don't know what she means by cruelly obtained wool, since it doesn't hurt the sheep to be shorn.

Do you mean that the lamb is aborted so that they can take the wool? That's pretty nasty.

You all know my feelings about PETA ( ), but I am curious what is meant by cruelty in the wool industry. Are the sheep kept in inhumane conditions? Otherwise, I don't know what she means by cruelly obtained wool, since it doesn't hurt the sheep to be shorn.

yeah, they are aborted to get the wool, here's the article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1512955,00.html

personally, i agree with some of the things animal activists are about (i always tell my mom i'll spray her fur coats!), but they are generally extremists, some of them are very scary and have ruined many people in my line of work

but I am curious what is meant by cruelty in the wool industry

Probably mulesing.

"Ranchers perform a barbaric operation-called "mulesing"-where they force live sheep onto their backs, restrain their legs between metal bars, and, without any painkillers whatsoever, slice dinner-plate-sized chunks of flesh from around their tail area. This is done to cause smooth, scarred skin that can't harbor fly eggs. Ironically, the exposed, bloody wounds themselves often get flystrike before they heal."

Poor sheep

From Save The Sheep.