Only 1 Song.....

If you could listen to only one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?????

(mine would be Sade< By Your Side)

Not that it is my favorite song in the world, but I could listen to that song over and over again, and not get tired of it.......

THANKS! =:P

For me it has to be "She Bang" by William Hung!

NOT!!!!

Actually the most played song EVAR in my collection is Take it Back, by Pink Floyd. I still listen to that song as much now as when it first came out! NO JOKE!

Imagine me with a broomstick for a microphone, sliding around the kitchen floor in my socks and screaming at the TOP of my lungs --

Permanent Vacation

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Cruised into a bar on the shore

Her picture graced the grime on the door

She a long lost love at first bite

Baby maybe you're wrong but you know it's all right

That's right

Backstage we're having the time

Of our lives until somebody say

Forgive me if I seem out of line

Then she whipped out her gun

And tried to blow me away

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

So never judge a book by it's cover

Or who you gonna love by your lover

Love put me wise to her love in disguise

She had the body of a venus

Lord imagine my surprise

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Baby let me follow you down

Let me take a peek dear

Do me, do me, do me, all night

Turn the other cheek dear

Do me, do me, do me, sue me

What a funky lady

She like it like it like it like that

He was a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude, dude, dude, dude looks like a lady

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

But seriously --

ONE SONG?!!!

That's like the question ...you're chin high in a pile of dung and someone throws a bucket of pig guts at you -- do you duck? :laughing:

Next question!

Costellogirl,whats your favourite EC album ? For me, its a tough choice between Imperial Bedroom and Brutal Youth, and I also love the one he did with Bert Bacharach! He's one of my favourite artists of all time, and I've seen him live more than anyone else, twenty two times since 1978!

Costellogirl,whats your favourite EC album ? For me, its a tough choice between Imperial Bedroom and Brutal Youth, and I also love the one he did with Bert Bacharach! He's one of my favourite artists of all time, and I've seen him live more than anyone else, twenty two times since 1978!

You are so lucky to have seen him live! He is my favorite celebrity second only to my future husband

David Letterman.

I've only been an EC fan for a few years so I have a bit to catch up on as far as listening to all his albums. I love This Year's Model and When I Was Cruel. I really love the songs "Alison," "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,"

"Poor Fractured Atlas," "Two Little Hitlers," and

"Less Than Zero."

I could never narrow it down to one song. But I could easily take it from a shortlist of those tracks which, if I had that single track on CD, for the rest of my life, no money nor means to buy any other, I can give that due consideration.

First among several equals is a little oddity. I'm sure I've mentioned it around before somewhere, but doubtless y'all fell asleep before I was finished rambling.

Dennis Wilson was perhaps THE underrated force of The Beach Boys. At times stage leader, at times propulsive drummer, at times the tenderest of keyboard players, and at times the most achingly beautiful lead vocals.

Not only that, but he knew about music. Alas he is the guy who, amongst the genius of brothers Brian and Carl Wilson, took up the drums because The Beach Boys didn't have a drummer at the time (the drumming on the early tracks, Surfin', Luau, etc was all done by Brian, of all people) Dennis, at 15, had to learn to play the drums.

Along came the pressure of having to be a good musician, and the heart behind everything that The Beach Boys stood for. He, of all of them, was the only one who could surf (Brian states that although he had tried it as a young lad, and after Denny's death, he never could get into it).

Stories give Dennis the persona of being the guy who, by the time he was fifteen, was smoking, drinking, taking rather heavy drugs, and by this age had already gotten a girl in the neighbourhood pregnant for what were at those times vast sums of money.

Back in the recording studio (or real life as the Wilson brothers all knew it for so long), they were recording. And recording. And recording.

Ten years later, they started somewhat of a renaissance. Two South African guys, Blondie Chaplin, a keyboardist and guitarist and Rikki Fataar, a drummer, from a South African group Flame joined the band.

Along came Denny's incredibly sensitive self. Demoted to vocalist, as he was, he performed two tracks off the second half of this album.

The latter, a sweet lullaby to his princess, Cuddle Up, is an emotional piece in itself. With piano from Daryl Dragon, and the prettiest of violin arrangements, it's hard not to like.

But then, the criminally underlooked. You can't really call it emotional. Heart-rendingly beautiful is more on the money. The cracks in his voice are obvious.

"Look at me, funny face" he cries. "That's not you, a wrinkled nose, a tear". The violin lines are now descending into pure beauty. "You're crying". Small gap in the melody while they decide to change keys.

"Rest your head

Cry on me

Don't be afraid, I'll stay with you"

Building up and up, I'm not afraid, as a grown man, to admit that the song has me wiping the tears from my eyes.

"I know you'll make it

And you'll make it good, and you'll make it good

And you'll make it good."

Fantastic interplay, if ever one gets here, of instrument and voice. One of the prettiest things I've ever heard is when Denny's voice rises again.

"All of my life, I haven't known much

All I know is what I feel

And what I feel"

Tiny echo, "And what I feel"

"And what I feel" - "And what I feel" (more echo this time)

"Love.." The chords are still not moving so quickly. But the feeling is still there. It builds up, and comes back down to a dramatic climax.

Smiling, as always

Matt

That is the hardest question I have ever had to answer, other than "can you walk and chew gum at the same time?"

this is off topic, but a fun fact about that quote, was it was origonaly "fart and chew gum at the same time." But they made the guy who said it (I forgot who said it) censor it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I agree with Musictime,

A really bad song, sung over and over.

Because after one time hearing it, knowing it was coming 'round again, Id go nuts.

I have a particular band that drives me nuts, but If I said it was Led Zeppelin, somebody would say bad things about me.

:puppyeyes:

This raises a fundamental musical question.

If the only songs which existed were really... REALLY bad songs... we're talking songs like Kelis' Milkshake, Aaron Carter's travesty of a cover version in Surfin' USA, and She's Like The Wind by Patrick Swayze... these songs would be the only songs we'd have to judge quality of music on.

The question being raised is, are songs like Mundian To Bach Ke by Panjabi MC too esoteric for some chart listeners' musical tastes? In the same vain, any song which is unfamiliar in that sense to musical taste, which neither is loved nor hated, but is viewed upon with a listening ear and done with in whichever way one sees fit.

Is it therefore correct to say that we base GREAT tunes on our favourite songs by our favourite artists?

What if we had no sense of right, wrong, what if all that we had to base our musical opinions on were the only two songs which existed, Kelis' Milkshake and Aaron Carter's Surfin' USA. Patrick Swayze's She's Like the Wind, und so weiter.

Is it only possible to choose these songs because of the comparisons we're (naturally) drawing with our favourites compared with some of our most despised tracks?

Any thoughts?

Love and mercy

Matt

For me it would be a song that I can't stand. If I could only hear one song the rest of my life I would go crazy and better it be a terrible one that drives me insane than a song that I love and would learn to hate. :P

That's a great synopsis MuzikTyme!

However, I don't think I could listen to Wham's "Wake me up before you go go" over and over and over :stars: but not demeaning your stance at all. :)

Like most responses, it's hard to narrow down just to one tune let alone 100. At this time, I gotta go with my favourite classical piece ... Gymnopedie No. 1 - preferably Dominic Miller's version, although I love the piano versions performed by many pianists.

Ant

It would need to be a long song so that it wouldn't get repetitive. I mean it's going to get repetitive anyway but a long song would be less.

My first thought was the live version of Dazed and Confused that's 26 minutes.

Then I remembered that the whole first side of Rush's 2112 is one song. Or at least that's how my CD player reads it. It's 20 minutes long and although it is sort of broken up in parts it's considered one song. It's kind of a sad song lyrically though, and it might depress me to listen to it over and over forever.

Hey Jude is seven minutes, but the 'na, nas' would sooner or later cause me to just lose it.

This is a tough question. I said in my 'bio' that if stranded on a desert island with only one group to listen to I would want it to be the Beatles, but just one song? I think any song would sooner or later cause me to lose it if that was all I had to listen to.

The scenario of only having one song to listen to forever is starting to frighten me. No music at all. That's frightening also. I'm going to stop thinking about this.

• 2 months later...

Like most responses, it's hard to narrow down just to one tune let alone 100. At this time, I gotta go with my favourite classical piece ... Gymnopedie No. 1 - preferably Dominic Miller's version, although I love the piano versions performed by many pianists.

Ant

This is an excellent choice. Erik Satie <3

This is an excellent choice. Erik Satie <3

I was reading this thread (again) and thought Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1" then realized I already replied a while back. :D

I have 4 cds with different versions but I'm going with Dominic Miller (former guitarist for Sting).

If anyone is not sure about this great composition, just click here BUT you won't hear it until you click 'play'... yes, it's a game but you don't need to play it. NOTE: it's only the first few bars repeated and not the entire tune.

Clicky Clicky