Forum Phobias

_jr_

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a fear of big water. I'm ok as long as I can see the shoreline. Once we get out where it's just water all way round, I freak.

I'm not a good swimmer, so if the vessel goes down, I'm going to drown, no matter what. At least if I can see the shoreline, I know I'm swimming in the right direction, even though I'm going to die.

Out there where you can't see land, I could be swimming away from it. The thought terrifies me.

I don't know what that is in terms of phobias, but that's my big one.

That's not a problem for me. I love being in the middle of the lake with water all around. What terrifies me is flying at top speed across the water, even with an experienced driver. Same with going super fast on a country highway. Only opposite. I can drive superfast and feel fine. Anyone else and I freak.

I used to be really scared of cars, probably because i was in a car accident (sitting in the front on someone else with no seatbelt on, could've died!). that is one of the reasons why i haven't learned to drive yet.

can i just say that i know this is all a bit of fun, but phobias are really dehabilitating, which is why they are defined as "a morbid fear". i used to think i was agoraphobic, but then i realised how strong an emotion it really is and figured i was just shy. so most tof the things people have listed probably don't really apply.

Same with going super fast on a country highway. Only opposite. I can drive superfast and feel fine. Anyone else and I freak.

my mom is like that. i can remember being in grammar school, when my mom had to drive me (i went to Catholic school, we had no bus). and she would drive 75 mph over this backwoods road with curves so sharp that you had to brace yourself against the seat if you didn't want to fly out the door. however, i drive 70 on the highway, and she complains that i'm going too fast.

I have a modified form of Entomophobia. I have a profound aversion to grasshoppers and locusts. One summer, while driving through North Dakota, a large, intact specimen became lodged under one of my car's windshield wipers. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road and closed my eyes while my buddy extricated the disgusting creature and tossed its carcass into the ditch. YUKKK!

I guess most politicians suffer from ergasiophobia and phronemophobia. Or maybe this is a case of me displaying my politicophobia.

In my dictionary, a phobia is defined as an exaggerated, irrational and inexplicable fear of something. It seems to me that carcinophobia, aglophobia(fear of pain) and rhabdophobia(fear of being severely punished or beaten by a rod) are anything but irrational or inexplicable.

One thing is certain, Miami Sammy clearly does not suffer from eurotophobia or venustraphobia.

Certainly: Scolionophobia- Fear of school.

Scoleciphobia- Fear of worms.

Poinephobia- Fear of punishment.

Myrmecophobia- Fear of ants

with no doubt: Insectophobia - Fear of insects

Helminthophobia- Fear of being infested with worms. *shivers*

Dishabiliophobia- Fear of undressing in front of someone.

Didaskaleinophobia- Fear of going to school.

Catagelophobia- Fear of being ridiculed

Atychiphobia- Fear of failure

Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.

• 9 months later...

DO YOU HAVE A PHOBIA?:

Fear of Fear? Counterphobia

Fear of Phobias? Phobophobia

Are you afraid of Old People? Gerontophobia

Well...tough...i dont have a cure, but you can look at this site for all the phobias documented in the world.

Phobias! Look at the Fear! Check the name!

Unless of course...you have a fear of Phobias...then dont look at that site...and if you do...please, sign a waiver. I take no responsibility!

I actually have been diagnosed with Lilapsophobia...its the fear of Tornadoes.

I also have a fear of snakes...Ophidiophobia

Now...whats your fear?

Thanks for that link, psycho. Now I know what my phobias are actually called, may I be the first to the "confessional"?

Astraphobia / Astrapophobia/ Brontophobia / Keraunophobia: all mean "fear of thunder and lightning"

Spheksophobia: fear of wasps

Aye, for your penance say Three Hail Marys and a Doxology. May Buddy Christ bless you.

And on that note... the fear of Priests or sacred things- Hierophobia.

Edna...some phobias might be in the same subject.

i.e. Roaches...are under Creepy, crawly things- Herpetophobia

edna, i have the same, don't worry, but see, it's not an irrational fear, they are just disgusting, so i don't know if it counts as a phobia.

haven't we had this topic before? I have claustophobia and taphobia. and the advantage of understanding what each phobia means :P maybe fear of cockroaches is katsaridophobia