problem with server?

_Laurie_

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 35

SQL ERROR: Thu, Jul 07 2005 13:20:32 -0700 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 45

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 104

SQL ERROR: Thu, Jul 07 2005 13:20:32 -0700 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 130

Main Index | Search | Who's Online | FAQ | Register | Login | Songfacts Home

You need to register to post and reply to messages.

If you have already registered on Songfacts, please login.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 104

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 130

The dreaded too many connections. Every now and then, something goes wacky and the database ties up, which won't allow anyone to access the site. We'll keep an eye on this and do our best to solve the problem. Thanks for letting us know.

Yesterday (about 2 PM songfacts time) I just had this:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Error Information

Error Message:  The file "" was not found or was disabled due to security restrictions.

Error Code:  -9984

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday (about 2 PM songfacts time) I just had this:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Error Information

Error Message: The file "" was not found or was disabled due to security restrictions.

Error Code: -9984

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edna - I'm so glad I saw this post of yours. I got this error message most of the day today - I tried to get on about 5 or 6 times earlier in the day.

I thought it was because of my posts about downloading - I'm really a terrible conspiracy theorist and I'm glad it wasn't just me. ( I hope it wasn't just me!) Are you secretly working for the AG and just trying to lure me into complacency? Edna?

We had this problem Wednesday and Thursday while I was keeping an eye on the site, so I had a developer on call all day Friday so when it happened, he could take a look and see what's going on (Ever take your car to the mechanic and he can't do anything because he can't recreate the problem? Same idea.)

I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with the boards. The main site gets pounded with queries, and there might be a bad piece of code somewhere or a setting that is off.

When you do a search, it opens a connection, then quickly closes it when the search is over (Survivor, 1984). The problem occurs when these searches don't close properly, which ties up the server until it dies. We'll keep digging until we find the problem. The good news is that along the way, we're getting everything optimized, which means the site is working very well when it's, well, working.

I thought it was because of my posts about downloading - I'm really a terrible conspiracy theorist and I'm glad it wasn't just me. ( I hope it wasn't just me!)

No, it wasn´t just you, Audioslave!! And besides, we ALL get paranoid as soon as the site is down, thinking it´s our own computer!! :laughing: :laughing:

Or something you´ve done in the past...? :shades: ;)

I got into SF in the morning, had the same error an hour later but I didn´t check until today. Seems it goes... :P

Carl wrote:

We'll keep digging until we find the problem. The good news is that along the way, we're getting everything optimized, which means the site is working very well when it's, well, working.

Thanks, Carl. :thumbsup:

Here's a Medal of Merit for achievement in the performance of web magic. (Don't pay any attention to the year, it was on sale in the bargain bin).

wizweb.gif

Thanks Peaches. Fortunately, there are some really good people who help us out. A lot of technical folks like working on Songfacts.

Here's the latest -

We made some changes to the Top 10 list that would allow us better song tracking and make it more efficient, but it caused some problems, which made for some outages the last few days. We adjusted it to take a load off the server - it will update about once an hour instead of constantly.

Songfacts gets a lot of traffic, so we have to keep an eye on things. We should be in pretty good shape, but there's a good chance we'll make some code changes that should help out long term.