I Started A Joke - The Bee Gees

Foxy

Does anyone know who the song 'I Started A Joke' by the Bee Gees is about?

"I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,

But I didn?t see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,

Oh, if I?d only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,

And I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I?d said.

Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,

Oh, if I?d only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,

And I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I?d said.

?til I finally died, which started the whole world living,

Oh, if I?d only seen that the joke was one me."

Bee Gees and the Ancient Greeks... where´s the link? :laughing:

I haven´t read the links yet, but I heard that song since I was...7, 8, 9? and I always thought that the guy had done something wrong, he behave like a bad and foolish person and now it all came down against him. Everyday´s bussiness!

Maybe he was fooling some girl?

I love the Bee Gees... not that song, tough...

Oh, now that I read the links I guess Plato should sue the Bee Gees and ask all the royalties on that song... :shades:

I still believe he´s talking about how great he thoght he was, he despiced people and women, he cheated and the joke he started was his own stupid behaviour. Like in "Yesterday, when I was young" (Matt Monro?)...

"The bed that you make is the one you gotta lie on" (That´s Dire Straits quoting a popular phrase)

Tss, bad boy... he surely talks about a woman...

As far as the review goes, you'd better put on your hip waders because both truly are deep! ::

I'll bet the lady that wrote that review got an A in philosophy, based on sheer b.s. value. That being said, I still think it was eloquently written and can see her point. I'd give her an A for b.s!

Have to agree with you, Edna. Aren't most Bee Gees songs about women - or love or whatever?

I haven´t read the links yet, but I heard that song since I was...7, 8, 9? and I always thought that the guy had done something wrong, he behave like a bad and foolish person and now it all came down against him. Everyday´s bussiness!

Maybe he was fooling some girl?

I love the Bee Gees... not that song, tough...

Oh, now that I read the links I guess Plato should sue the Bee Gees and ask all the royalties on that song... :shades:

I still believe he´s talking about how great he thoght he was, he despiced people and women, he cheated and the joke he started was his own stupid behaviour. Like in "Yesterday, when I was young" (Matt Monro?)...

"The bed that you make is the one you gotta lie on" (That´s Dire Straits quoting a popular phrase)

I think if you listen to the high pitched sheep-like bleats that are hit in this song...you'll soon realize what the Bee Gees and Ancient Greeks had in common. I apologize in advance for the poor taste I demonstrated in commenting on how The Brothers Gibb attain their "high end" notes. :angel:

My sister is 18 years younger than I, and she told me she was always very impressed by this song... she heard it coz I had it playing and she specially remembers that part where they sing "IIIIIIIIIIII loked at the skyyyyy..." :laughing: :laughing:

I tried to introduce my sister to all kind of music I loved but seems it didn´t work! :laughing: :headphones: