Favorite Miniseries

PSYCHOcatholic

Whats your favorite Mini series? Any mini series you have seen? Any thoughts about mini series?

Lol, im tryin to fire up conversation in Films and Music. It seems to be dying. So...lets talk Mini Series!

My favorite mini series of all time is The Tenth Kingdom. It would be followed up by Taken by Steven Speilburg. Then...Band of Brothers. :rockon: :happybanana: :thumbsup:

For pure 80's over-the-topness: Lace

Phoebe Cates changes her accent every other sentence,

and when she says "Which one of you sluts is my mother?"

I get all "ooh it's on now girlfriends!"

This one is good, but I thought it was a tv movie instead of a series. The look of the whole movie is very 80s: neon and pastels galore. For a moment I thought Brian DePalma directed this, but it was some unknown director =:P

• 2 months later...

My favorite one is "The 10th Kingdom

10th Kingdom wins hands down! I have it on DVD and have stayed up till all hours of the morning with my roommate watching it in its entirety.

I also like:

I, Claudis (flashbacks to Latin class in HS)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (well, since other people put movie groups in)

Indiana JOnes

Roots.

I remember they did a funny miniseries called "Fresno" that centered around the raisin industry. It was supposed to be a spoof of prime-time soaps. I watched it all, but never cared for it. They reran it later with a laugh track, and that made it worse.

The upcoming "Into The West" looks interesting, in a "Centennial" kind of way. Then there's "Foyle's War" and "Island at War" for those pondering the grey parts of The Greatest Generation's biggest challenge. Speaking of long form Miniseries, NHK of Japan turns out 18-52 episode historical dramas from their past. A previous one concerned the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate/the Samurai class in the 19th century through the exploits of a group of "regulators" who were known as "Shinesengumi." The current Taiga drama pits two noble families against each other in a "War of the Roses"-like struggle in the 12th Century by examining the life of the youngest Genji/Minamoto brother, the dashing military genius "Yoshitsune." Speaking of not-exactly foreign miniseries, how about PBS' Gonzalez' family tales in "The American Family"? :beatnik:

I like those Japanese dramas. Not the historical ones, but the regular 30-50 episode shows they air. The writers are clearly superior to anything Hollywood has turned out in decades. They have a way of getting the viewer involved in the fictional lives of the characters. The manga artists are almost as effective. I will mention one more production from the US: Wild Palms. Very weird, very in the style of Lynch's Twin Peaks. I liked it despite having Jim Belushi in the lead :beatnik: Australia's Spellbinder and Canada's Degrassi rank pretty high up there. These were television shows, but with an ending. Last, but not least, the best animated series to come from the 80s:

Ulysses_Title2.jpg