Gilmour or Waters

Catherine

Mike (aka PinkFloyd1973)

I've been heavily into "Floyd" lately, and while Ive always loved them, I've never really read up on them much...until recently.

Got a question:

Who was the actual "lead" singer? ::

I see Waters' name on The Wall (of course, given that it's "his baby"), but Gilmour is listed more often than Waters it seems on other albums.

It depends on the "mood" of the song I suppose, in terms of who best suits the vocalist role, but IMO Gilmour is a bit smoother than Waters in most cases (well, except on Learning to Fly, which I thought was Waters at first).

Also, Gilmour would have done a great job singing Brain Damage and Eclipse...he sang most of Dark Side of the Moon anyway.

I don't think they had an official lead singer, they just listed "Vocals" next to their names. I love both their voices and they sing really good songs but i think its funny when one guy tries to sing a song that the other guy used to sing.

I did some research, and it seems that David Gilmour was the vocalist on 80% of Pink Floyd's songs recorded, but Roger Water provide most of the lyrics that were sung!

Upon listening more carefully, I discovered that they do actually sound quite a bit alike...with David being the better sounding of the two, but it is very hard to tell a great deal of the time! Comfortably numb, in which they take turns singing...David blows Roger right out of the water.

Ha ha...that pun was purely unintended. ::

in "comfortably numb" roger waters sings the "...hello, is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home?..." type of lyrics, i guess he's the doctor/manager in the song. david gilmour sings the "...i have become, comfortably numb..." type of lines, inside Pinks head i suppose.

David Gilmour has the less harsh sounding voice, "Us and Them" is a good example. What they lost when Waters left was his composing, which might explain why Momentary Lapse of Reason was the last CD I bought by them. It's a great CD even if Waters isn't on it. Like many of their albums the whole thing is good not just a song or two.

upon reading this post it is my sincere wish that you go and buy 'the division bell' - have a look on ebay yer can get it now for two or three quid and its got a good few belters on there (all sung by gilmour bar one)....

i think that waters and gilmour sound totally different, waters has a very harsh sounding vocal, whereas gilmour has a softer, easier on the ear tone to his voice.......when i first got into floyd i used to say 'waters can't sing' and he cant really but neither can Dylan! ha, ha, ha well, as we all know it aint the voice its what and how you put across what your saying......but if i had to choose gilmour is definately the better of the two vocally - having sai that my favourite floyd record is (waters real baby!) 'the final cut' and waters sings 11 of the 12 tracks there so......but when gilmour sings - its normally a gem....'time', 'us and them', 'young lust', 'not now john', 'dogs' etc, etc, etc.......

Reading up on the band, the general consensus seems to be that Roger Waters is a "creative genius" but a "total a$$h*le" and "a big, gloomy cry baby"! Not much liked on a personal level, is he? :(

Waters_portrait.jpg

David Gilmour, on the other hand, seems to be loved by all! I didnt even know what they looked like until recently, but David Gilmour actually looks just like my dad -- another great guy! :)

David_Gilmour.jpg

My favorite David song is "On the Turning Away"...it sends chills up and down my spine -- his voice is so amazing it'll bring ya to tears!

Dark Side of the Moon: I had a hard time telling the difference in vocals:

Gilmour/Wright: Breathe, Us and Them, and Breathe Reprise

Gilmour: Money (really? I thought this was Roger)

Waters: Brain Damage and Eclipse (I thought this was Dave) ::

HEY YOU, 1979 - from THE WALL

Lyrics/Music: Waters; Vocals: Gilmour & Waters

Waters

Hey You!

Out there in the cold

getting lonely, getting old, can you feel me

Hey you!

Standing in the aisles

with itchy feet and fading smiles, can you feel me

Hey You! Don't help them to bury the light

Don't give in without a fight

Waters

Hey you!

Out there on your own

sitting naked by the phone, would you touch me

Hey you! With your ear against the wall

waiting for someone to call out, would you touch me

Gilmour and Waters

Hey you! Would you help me to carry the stone

Open your heart, I'm coming home

Waters

But it was only fantasy

The wall was to high, as you can see

No matter how he tried he could not break free

And the worms ate into his brain

Gilmour

Hey you! Out there on the road

doing what you're told, can you help me

Hey you! Out there beyond the wall

breaking bottles in the hall, can you help me

Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all

Together we stand, divided we fall

David also sings "Young Lust" and "Run Like Hell" is Waters AND Gilmours. Yeah, okay...can you tell the difference? ::

Gilmour "Run Like Hell"...that is one cool tune:"You better paint your face up in your favorite disguise; with your button-down lips and your roller blind eyes"...

What a nice guy! :)

January 2002

LONDON (AP) - David Gilmour is giving the proceeds from the sale of his London house to a charity.

Gilmour sold the home to Earl Spencer - brother of the late Princess Diana - for $6.48 million, and gave the money to Crisis, which helps homeless people, The Sunday Telegraph reported. "I don't need the money and I just thought it would be a good thing to do,'' the paper quoted him as saying. ``I've had that house for nearly 20 years. It's made a fat profit and I've scarcely used it for the last six or seven years."

Gilmour, 54, lives in a farmhouse in West Sussex and owns a house in Greece. The Independent newspaper reported that he'd originally bought the London home for $430,000. But Gilmour said he'd grown tired of having too many expensive possessions.

"You collect Ferraris and then you've got to collect people to look after your Ferraris, and you've got to collect buildings to house the Ferraris," The Sunday Telegraph quoted him as saying. "Life gets very complicated. And eventually, at least in my case, you think 'I don't need this stuff.' And suddenly life gets simpler."

Yeah, hearing Gilmour interviewed, he sounds very normal, and just cool about everything. Really nice. Like a big-hearted stoner. Roger Waters, on the other hand seems to me like a prick. I love him. I see a lot of myself in him. Like the way he said he wouldn't release The Wall unless Rick Wright left the band. Or had Dave Gilmour's face printed all over his toilet paper. It's f*cking hilarious. Sounds like something I would do. I bet though if I ever met Roger, we wouldn't get along at all.

Syd Barrett!

Hi Catherine, I totally missed this thread, hope you've been well, I've been mostly hanging out at Rush message boards lately, like minds, y'know. Anyway, yeah I like the responses you've gotten here, glad to see you delving into Pink Floyds interviews, Roger's not a bad guy, I think he just let his vision take over and he thought since he formed Floyd, and David was the Syd sub, (if you will), that he was creator and master of Floyd, that's not true though, Never was. First of all, if any one band member ever personified Floyd it was Syd, he was a creative genius and best vocalist of any of them. Also Nick and Richard surely contributed equally as well.

My favorite Pink Floyd song is Time, post Waters, it's Coming back to life.

Mike

Hey Mike! It was good to hear from you! I haven't been around much myself for a few months, as I've been busy -- at home and at the office. I hope all is well with you, too! Coming back to so many new people makes me feel like a the newbie!

While, I've never heard Syd sing, I've read about how much of a creative genius he was.

pp1.jpg%5CdbImages%5C24723_2.jpg

Recently I read a newspaper article featuring Syd from a few (or more) years back -- poor guy...too many Mandax / LSD induced breakdowns.

What surprised me what that it was not David Gilmour's but Roy Harper's vocals "Have a Cigar". While it is a phenomenal song, for some reason, because I discovered it wasn't David singing, the song somehow now seems "foreign" -- for lack of a better term.

Interestingly, when David Gilmour released his first solo album in 1978, one of the songs that he wrote but did not use at the time, became the Pink Floyd classic "Comfortably Numb".

My apologies it's David Jon Gilmour,CBE. knight.gif

In November 2003, David was made Knights Commander in The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Upon receiving a CBE for services to music, David joked that the Queen had probably never even listened to Pink Floyd. "I suspect that if she listened to Pink Floyd, it was one of her children or grandchildren playing it, and she was more likely the one to say 'turn it off'"!

Yeah, from what I hear, Roger Waters had lost his voice, and Roy Harper happened to be recording that day, so they asked him to sing. Also, I feel really bad for Syd. I remember reading he got so bad they just stopped picking him up on the way to gigs. Rick Wright, his roomate at the time, would have to lie and saying he was going out to pick up a pack of cigarettes, then go out and play a gig. Then come back the next morning.

Wow, looking above at that picture of Syd...you know that's going to happen to all of us someday: the aging; not a mental breakdown (well, depending of course on how many kids we have to drive us into that state of mind)

At 36 w/ 1 child, I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago half the time. The hammer of the Geritol God -- you can't duck its strike!

"Old", regardless of a person's age, is a term that calls to mind those that are frail, helpless, haven't use of all their faculties, and is in poor health.

- Syd, born January 6, 1946, is only 59 years old

Due to Syd's mental status, he actually (and sadly) meets the criteria of "old"

David, born March 6, 1946, just turned 59 this month

- The youngest member of the band ~ and the most "Time"less

Rick Wright, born July 28, 1945, will be 60 this year

- Not quite close enough to being elderly yet

"Elderly" implies a person whose age is 65 or older.

- Nick Mason, born January 27, 1944, is 61 years old

- Roger Waters, born September 6, 1943, turns 62 this year

...teetering just on the edge of elderly , as shocking as it is to think of them in those terms

I really like watching the Making of The Dark Side of the Moon, yeah they are older, but they really rocked, and i'll bet they still would. Syd doesn't look so old.

syd12tm.jpg

I love Pink Floyd, they have a certain class and style I have not seen in any other band.