National Holidays

Van Mozart

SOoooooo st pat day eh. well i don't really see it as a holiday but just a day to celebrate Being Irish. Which is cool but i have a question. they have a day celebrating irish, and a month celebrating black history but is there a holiday for most ethnic backrounds and i'm not talking about within the people but that a whole country celebrates if so please inform me. Peace

Edited by Guest
original title made no sense!

I'm not sure I understand your question but there are national holidays in most countries. In Greece we have two, one in October, where we celebrate not letting the italians invade during WWII and one in March, where we celebrate the revolution in 1821 against the turkish occupation.

Yeah i see that but here. Do we celabrate greek holidays as a country in america. not that i know of. SO why do we celebrate St.patricks day. I have the sneaking suspicion it is just to party and have an excuse to get drunk. Listen i'm not saying everyone who celebrates st. pat day is a drunk but seriously guys. Come on. And not all irish people are drunks okay so stop sterotyping. Peace :rockon:

July 14th is the National French Party... in 1792 people rushed into the streets and made some mess there... LA Révolution!!! That day they got "La Bastille", the prison (there was only one prisonner, but it´s symbolic)

and they had only just begun...

Argentina has its national party on July 9th (I´m not sure :stars:...) and it must be when they became independant from Spain... well, I guess so... any argentinian out there?

• 3 months later...

It isn't just the drinking , though . It's a great opportunity to see public fist-fights , people falling off chairs , totally red-eyed, stinking louts, trying to pick up much more sober women ...and last, but not least , the only green vomit outside of " The Exorcist " ! It's a venration of public chaos and disorder ... a dying 'artform' from our barbaric pagan past .... ::

WELL! st patrick'sday is the celebration of our patron saint. he was actuallywlesh, broght as a slave to ireland where he tendedsheep. he is credited for bringing christianity to ireland and the shamrock is his symbol because he used it to demonstrate how and object can have three parts (three leaves) and still be part of a whole, comparing it to the holy trinity. he appears as a character in a number of old irish stories and it is said he drove the snakes from ireland. we don't have any snakes but i don't think we ever did. the symbol of the snake is synonymous with the devil so i think that's why they tell that story. so that's why we celebrate st patrick's day. nowadays it is a national holiday, meaning work and school off so lots of people go out to celebrate. there are parades on the day and fireworks. but if you ask me the americans go way overboard celebrating, far more than the irish do. my american friends who have been to ireland for st patrick's day agree.

I couldn't agree , more , Soulgirl ... and you can put Canadians in that " going overboard " category, as well... but IT is a LONG, COLD winter , afterall , and ( sometimes) Spring is beginning to stir the blood in March ... we call it " cabin- fever" . ::

Two more days til Independence Day! My neighboorhood used to do really fun parties, but we kind of stopped doing that. We have been doing illegal fireworks since we stopped doing the parties, but last year, someone's house caught on fire. So this year, to discourage illegal fireworks, we decided to do a big party this year. We are playing baseball, and having a pie baking contest (how American), and a BBQ. There's going to be fireworks, but they are strongly discouraging anyone brings illegal fireworks. Legal ones can be fun too, though, if you put them in funny places.