Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

ImThatGuyToo

I'm going to try to post this again, I accidentally posted while we were visiting 1970...

I recently got into CSN&Y, I got their first three albums. Let's discuss them! I want to know who they're influenced by, who they influenced, who their contemporaries are, their famous works, anything.

This post was more articulate the first time around, but you get the idea.

That must be "Crosby, Stills and Nash" (with just "helpless" with Neil Young, if I´m not wrong...), "Déjà Vu" and "Four way Street"... right?

Graham Nash is British, he was a member of the Hollies; Stephen Stills and Neil Young (from Canada) were with Buffalo Springfield and David Crosby was a member of the Byrds. They toured in 1969 and their second live performance was in the Woodstock Festival. I´ll let the others talk about the rest! :laughing:

I´m a big fan of CSN&Y, specially Graham Nash and, of course, :bow: :bow: :bow: NEIL YOUNG!!! :coolio:

I'm glad you re-posted this. I got into them in the 80s as CSN. I "found" them because of the album Daylight Again. I really loved the songs Southern Cross, Wasted on the Way and Into the Darkness. That inspired me to check out older songs of theirs as CSN and as CSN&Y and I grew to love them even more. I always thought it was amazing that all the members of the group contributed lyrically. Usually it seems to be one member of a group who is the songwriter. And their harmonies are just beautiful. I can't think of anyone else who can blend their voices together like that. Even when poor David was completely blitzed out of his skull, he still had the most angelic voice.

I was going to list the songs I like the most by them, but I couldn't narrow it down. Here are a few...

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

Helpessly Hoping

Our House

Southern Cross

Marrakesh Express

Teach Your Children

Wooden Ships

Just A Song Before I Go

Delta

Wasted on the Way

Daylight Again

Into the Darkness

Woodstock

Ohio

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

RonJon, that was their second gig... remember, they even say so in the movie and the album "This is our second gig...". Anyway, Neil Young joined and left wherever he wanted... and Graham nash did beautifull albums with David Crosby. Seems they were not very happy with Stephen Stills, who is "Jack" in the song "Chicago": "Don´t ask Jack to help you coz he´ll turn the other ear"...

It depends... when they sing Graham Nash´s songs they are mostly pop... David Crosby´s are somehow non-melodic, Neil Young is rock and Stephen Stills is... I know very little about him. "Marrakesh express", "Teach your Children", "Helplessly Hoping", "Love the one you´re with" or "Sea of Madness" are my faves. Yes, when they get together seems they become mostly folk/country...

Wow, this thread filled up with fans pretty quick...I'm surprised they haven't come up before. Edna, you're right about the albums, and this is the part that confuses me. For their first album, Crosby Stills & Nash, they're obviously CSN. For Deja Vu, since Helpless is assuredly Neil Young, they're automatically CSN&Y? And that carries forth through 4 Way Street as well?

A bit of trivia, Jimi Hendrix taugh Stephen Stills to play lead guitar. Artistfacts

The reason I started listening to them is because I heard Stephen Still's Treetop Flyer on a classic rock station, and it blew my mind.

I like all the songs mentioned, but I'd also like to add the song Black Queen.

The first album is just CS&N, recorded early in 1969, but Neil Young joins in one track, "Helpless". He joined the band in summer of 1969 and they started touring, Woodstock being their second live appearence. Stills and Young were together in Buffalo Springfield so they were friends... All four of them did also their own albums while being in CSN&Y...

RonJon, that was their second gig... remember, they even say so in the movie and the album "This is our second gig...". Anyway, Neil Young joined and left wherever he wanted... and Graham nash did beautifull albums with David Crosby. Seems they were not very happy with Stephen Stills, who is "Jack" in the song "Chicago": "Don´t ask Jack to help you coz he´ll turn the other ear"...

You're right, they say this is only their second gig. Hey I was one off, not bad. :doh:

Wow, this thread filled up with fans pretty quick...I'm surprised they haven't come up before. Edna, you're right about the albums, and this is the part that confuses me. For their first album, Crosby Stills & Nash, they're obviously CSN. For Deja Vu, since Helpless is assuredly Neil Young, they're automatically CSN&Y? And that carries forth through 4 Way Street as well?

A bit of trivia, Jimi Hendrix taugh Stephen Stills to play lead guitar. Artistfacts

The reason I started listening to them is because I heard Stephen Still's Treetop Flyer on a classic rock station, and it blew my mind.

I like all the songs mentioned, but I'd also like to add the song Black Queen.

Steven Stills auditioned for The Monkees back in 65 or 66 I guess. He told his good buddy Peter Tork about the auditions too. We know how that turned out.

My son cut off much of his long blonde hair a few weeks ago. I asked him why and he said it was getting to hard to maintain. I sang "Almost Cut My Hair" to him for the next couple days.

Almost Cut My Hair :afro:

Almost cut my hair, it happened just the other day.

It's getting? kinda long, I coulda said it wasn't in my way.

But I didn't and I wonder why, I feel like letting my freak flag fly,

cause I feel like I owe it to someone.

Must be because I had the flu' for Christmas and I'm not feeling up to par.

It increases my paranoia, like looking at my mirror and seeing a police car.

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear cause I missed myself this year.

I feel like I owe it to someone.

When I finally get myself together, I'm going to get down in that sunny southern weather.

And I find a place inside to laugh, separate the wheat from the chaff.

I feel like I owe it to someone.

Still more:

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young

Long Time Gone & Almost Cut My Hair

By being a musician who wrote songs from the heart, David Crosby, somewhat unintentionally became a political spokesman for his generation. The unwillingness of the older generation to seriously consider the lifestyle and political views of these "hippies" resulted in a high degree of paranoia in the late 1960's. Just by having long hair, love beads, and bizarre clothing a person was immediately labelled as a freak and drug user. This instantly subjected that person to various forms of persecution from mainstream Americans. Thus, it was the constant harassment from authority figures like the police which lead to the creation of the song "Almost cut my hair". Additionally, there was continual contempt for the younger generations political opinions and their support of specific politicians. This ultimately lead to the anguished lyrics in the song "Long time gone". Both songs were written by David Crosby and they will be the topic of today's show.

The song "Long time gone" was composed on the night that Bobby Kennedy was murdered. The lyrics were born out of Crosby's frustration over the deaths of the brothers John and Robert Kennedy, two men that represented to David, a positive change in the politics of America. As he saw it, these two men in their early political careers, had not been bought and sold by special interest groups in order to ascend to a position of power. Thus to paraphrase the song, it was a long time coming to get these trustworthy men in American politics and it will be a long time before we see their kind again. Incidentally, it was Crosby's political statement about the death of JFK at the Monterrey Pop Festival which finally lead to his dismissal from his former band, THE BYRDS. So now "Long time gone" a fiery statement from a man who saw his political ideals cut down by the deaths of the men that represented his hopes for America.

David Crosby almost cut his hair because he was tired of being hounded by authority figures. The reason he kept his hair long, was as an open expression of his freedom as an individual in a country that was supposed to honor the uniqueness of each person that lived here in the United States. This unedited, previously unreleased version of "Almost cut my hair" provides an unparalled view of the creation of a great song. You will hear the band begin in a tempo that David feels is too slow and he asks them to speed it up just a little bit. The band then proceeds to give an almost faithful rendition of the cut that was released on the CROSBY, STILLS, NASH, & YOUNG album "Deja Vu". After finishing the song, the band then moves into a freeform jam session that singularly demonstrates the creative processes that are necessary for the construction of a song that speaks for a generation of frustrated young Americans. As Neil Young states "It's really Crosby at what I think is his best. It's like all live, three guitars, bass, organ, and drums, and it's all live, and there are no overdubs." Here is "Almost cut my hair" a representation of a frustrated youth's need to express his individual freedom.

Crosby&Nash were playing yesterday in Madrid, I wasn´t there but I saw them on TV... I had a strange feeling... guess they grew older than I expected...

By the way, 60$ to see them (well, 60?, whis is more or les the same...) I didn´t have free tickets nor backstage passes nor money :laughing: :laughing: