Yet another suggestion

Brian

Is it possible to bump threads with new replies to the top of the list?

For example, Eggplant posted posted a thred about 'AFI to pick 100 songs' in the movies and film thread, back in Nov 2003. I just replied to it, but the thread is still stuck on the second page.

Bumping threads with recent activity to the top of the page will be a tremendous benefit. For one... it keeps active threads at the top of the list, while other threads with no replies can fall into the archives.

Thanks for considering to my suggestion. :)

You must of read my mind pdxchump!

A lot of the time, an old thread will be bumped just to have another reply cast it away in the lost pages where people like me won't see.

Lots of good older threads but it's hard to answer them when one doesn't see them.

IMO, if it's good enough to bump then it's good enough to be on the top of the page, like all threads that have just been replied to should be. This is the first forum that I've seen work like this (not have a new reply to an older thread at the top of the page). But, I don't let it bother me because I love this site too much. ::

The not so good threads can go away while the good threads stay for new members to reply to. I'm sure that a lot of good threads would still be going if not for the dull ones that keep pushing them out, which makes one forget about them.

Also, time and time again new members will start new threads that have already been discussed extensively. Is there any way to merge already talked about topics with the original threads?

IMO, if it's good enough to bump then it's good enough to be on the top of the page, like all threads that have just been replied to should be. This is the first forum that I've seen work like this (not have a new reply to an older thread at the top of the page). But, I don't let it bother me because I love this site too much. ::

Also, time and time again new members will start new threads that have already been discussed extensively. Is there any way to merge already talked about topics with the original threads?

Thanks for the reply Marcus. I too love this site, and dont let it bother me.

I think if active threads were bumped to the top, that alone would prevent most double posts on the same subject.

Anyway, I just thought it would be a good feature to have. At least now I know I am not alone in my logic. ::

Ok you guys, we considered your suggestion and decided to implement it. The threads should now display according to the time stamp of the most recent post, instead of when the thread was created. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup: Everyone let us know what you think!

:) Sara

Ok you guys, we considered your suggestion and decided to implement it. The threads should now display according to the time stamp of the most recent post, instead of when the thread was created. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup: Everyone let us know what you think!

:) Sara

OK that weird, my reply to this message didnt get posted.

Anyways, I am soooo excited about this change!!! I love it love it love it! :D

Thanks a whole bunch!!

• 2 weeks later...

The new-time-reply-to-post change is great. I've found myself answering to threads that most likely would have gone unnoticed being in the archives so to speak.

What I'm really liking is the seemingly busier boards as of late. When I registered it seemed a bit slower, possibly just a fluke, but now it, at times, seems like real time.

I'm still thinking that this site has yet to become as big as it will. The solid foundation is there, Carl and Sarah, easy going moderators and friendly members.

Let's not forget wonderful music discussions and reference. The possibilities are endless!

I like it too, it was a good idea! It's interesting how personal experience can make perceptions of the same thing very different. I had never been active on another board and thought it was great simply that the threads with new posts were a different color. To visitors that have used other boards and saw a better way to do it, our system needed improvement. :googly: Ohh, I see a spring board.... :laughing:

It's good to be reminded once in a while that there's no telling when, how or why a person will perceive an event, statement or opinion in a particular way but to respect that we all have different viewpoints and reasons for them. Similarly, there's a difference between being too "politically correct" or "afraid to offend" and taking care to be clear, respectful and thoughtful in how we communicate. We may all do well to keep this in mind :)

Thanks to everyone who's a part of these boards, as Muzik mentioned, there's no telling where we can go from here and it's an exciting prospect!

:thumbsup: Sara

I can't wait to see what this site is like in a year or so...

100,000 members, always in the news, one of the most visited sites ever!

Well maybe not that much. ::

OMG, I can see it now... a year from now Jayson is the first person to reach 5,000 posts and is given the heralded title of 'Shamu', and becomes the 'coolest whale in the ocean'! :)