Ethnic Backgrouds

TrampledUnderFoot

My maternal grandfather's people were from Wales.

The Welsh language as written is nearly decipherable in modern English terms: the name of the tiny town my people came from contained 12 consonants and one vowel.

So small was the town that there was only one family name, Evan.

To lend convenience to identification, the function of the family head was appellated, and so my family was called Evan the Cook, the closest neighbor Evan the Mill, and so on.

The schoolteacher's name was Evan the Stick....

Now I remember that besides all my background mix, I´ve lived and settled down in three different countries, which makes me a nowhere woman... there´s no two members of my family having exactly the same accent, citizenship, place of birth, place of death, etc...

My dad's parents were born and raised in Ireland, and my mom's grandparents were born and raised in Germany. So I suppose if you don't count "American" as a background, I'm 1/2 Irish, half German. There is also some Polish in there somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I always feel stupid saying I'm "1/2 Irish" though, because everyone seems to think they are Irish, and I don't want to seem like one of those people who say "Oh yeah, I've got some ancient ancestors from there...I think"

This is a very interesting thread! And the one Marc started too ("Your Heritage")... guess Levis is the only "pure" songfactor!!! :laughing: :laughing: Go Radhi! ;) :rockon:

Could you imagine if I was pure, 100% XXX? I'd be like everclear. It's better with XXX-lite :beatnik:

Hello All..

well...my grandparents on my mother's side and father's side both came from italy, but my parents were born in the good ole USA..my dad's family is from Rome, and my mom's family is from Naples....she is a light skinned and strawberry blonde italian...believe it or not!...and that's about it!!!.....unfortunately i dont know much italian, whenever my parents got mad at me, they would swear in italian, and all i understood from my grandmother was manja, manja,...however you spell it...it means eat eat...she said i was always too skinny.... ::

Although raised in Canada, I was born in Scotland as were my sister and father. My mother was born in Canada but her mother was born in Lancashire. My maternal grandfather's ancestors came to Canada from Scotland in the early 19th century. On my father's side our Scottish roots go back at least as far as the 16th century.

:shades:

I'm 100% Polish!

i'm extremely proud of my heritage. My mom is all Polish (both her parents were from Poland, though she was born in the US) and my dad immigrated from Poland when he was 25 or 28, i'm not sure. most of my relatives still live in Poland, and i speak Polish fairly fluently. it used to be my first language.

it's the pure-breds you need to watch out for...