Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles

Dance!

Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles

Mr. Bojangles

Dance

Okay, so a lot of people know this song, but I really enjoy its down-home country feel.

You're right. It is sad in many ways. However, he did have quite a career on stage and in movies. Are you aware that Bill Bojangles Robinson was a real person? He appeared as the romantic lead in a movie with Lena Horne in 1937's "One Mile From Heaven".

But Dance was his main claim to fame. He is credited with inspiring many dance careers and showing that black men can dance with white girls without the world coming to an end. His several movies with Shirley Temple are probably what he is best known for by most.There are many sites on Bojangles...here're a couple... MR. BOJANGLES

and.... BILL BOJANGLES ROBINSON

It's always reminded me of "The Ballad of Curtis Loew," which is one of my favorite Skynyrd tunes.

Such poignant lyrics. :puppyeyes:

That is a great song as well. I love songs that tell a story about someone that doesn't live the greatest life, but seems very content with what they have. Stories that can be sad and happy and inspiring at the same time. But the character always seems to die in the end of the song...

It makes me sad too... First time I heard it was by Bob Dylan. It´s been credited many times to Neil Diamond (I was it on many magazines... :doh: and they were payed for it!) who also did a good cover.

The song is so great country, I can't picture Bob Dylan doing a cover and definitely cannot picture Neil Diamond doing a cover.

Sammy Davis Jr. also did a version of this song, did he not? That's the only version I've ever heard.

I see it as a sad song about a man whose time in the spotlight has passed so he resorts to drinking and reminiscing about the "good old days".

Old time country singer Tom T Hall also did a cover. So who supposedly did it first? I knew the story of Mr. Bojangles, about him being a real person. It is sad, but that is what his life had evolved to, and he respected, and accepted that.

I didn't do a search but...from memory I know the very first time I heard the song it was by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I think they even wrote it. Sammy Davis did it much later, incorporating it into his act with a Bojanglesish dance routine. He did this for several years but not until after NGDB. He even credited NGDB with making the song popular. AMG will shed light on dates, writers, etc. I'll check later.

ATC said:

I'm not sure who actually recorded it first though.

and I said:

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did.

Wrong. Jerry Jeff Walker wrote and recorded it in 1968. The NGDB covered it in 1970 in their album "Uncle Charlie" and made it a hit.