Jesus Christ Superstar

RonJonSurfer

I consider JCS a rock masterpiece. Lyrics, music, musicians and vocals are all wonderful. They had a pretty good little story to work with too.

Ian Gillan, Victor Brox, Murray Head, Mike D'Abo and Yvonne Elliman sing their heads out. All of those folks went on to critical (or had) critical acclaim in the rock world. Gillan from Deep Purple. Brox (See the story that follows), Murray "One Night In Bangkok" Head, Mike D'Abo of Manfred Mann and Yvonne Elliman who scored a hit from Superstar with "I Don't Know How To Love Him".

There have been many recorded versions of JCS as well as countless theatre productions. I never get tired of the songs or the play.

I would love to hear any storys, opinions, questions, etc. about Jesus Christ Superstar.

Now a little about Victor Brox:

British blues legend and pioneer Victor Brox has been described by Jimi Hendrix and Tina Turner as their favourite white blues singer and his list of collaborations reads like a who's who of the blues, rock and classic British popular music. He has played with legends such as Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillian (Deep Purple), Charlie Mingus, Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix), Memphis Slim, Dr. John, Keith Moon (The Who), and studied under blues pioneers such as Big Bill Broonzy, Bo Diddley, Brownie McGhee, Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Walter and Screaming Jay Hawkins.

Other internationally acclaimed artist Victor has worked with include Alexis Korner, Ainsley Dunbar, Bill Coleman, Lord David Sutch, Tete Montelieu, T.T.Swanston, Marzetta Watts and Nico.

Brox has also appeared and performed in the Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber original "Jesus Christ, Superstar" with Deep Purple (click here for more info) and one of his Ainsley Dunbar Retaliation albums was produced by fellow pioneer John Mayall.

"Victor Brox is one of Britain's greatest ever blues vocalists ranking alongside the likes of Chris Youlden, Joe Cocker and Steve Marriot at their best. This has been endorsed by Jimi Hendrix who was a great fan of Victor jamming and playing with him and the Ainsley Dunbar Retaliation on many occasions."

Barrel House Blues Club (UK)

That's a good idea, Peaches. Keep in mind that the movie version is not comparable to the original album/play..IMO. I actually didn't care much for the movie.

I'd recommend listening to the original rock opera with the cast listed above by RonJon. Awesome!

I loved Brox as Caiaphus (sp?).

Your timing couldn't be better. This may sound odd coming from an atheist (who believes in Jesus) but every year on Good Friday I listen to the entire opera. It's been a tradition since the 70's.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know."

That's a good idea, Peaches. Keep in mind that the movie version is not comparable to the original album/play..IMO. I actually didn't care much for the movie.

I'd recommend listening to the original rock opera with the cast listed above by RonJon. Awesome!

I loved Brox as Caiaphus (sp?).

Your timing couldn't be better. This may sound odd coming from an atheist (who believes in Jesus) but every year on Good Friday I listen to the entire opera. It's been a tradition since the 70's.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know."

I do the exact same thing. It has been a tradition for me to listen on Good Friday every year. I also do all the lead vocals including Yvonne Elliman's!!!

The movie is not to be compared with the original recording. The difference is night and day.

There are threads on Songfacts about religion, controversial recordings, rock operas, movie themes, etc. JCS could fit almost anywhere. I think Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice hit a homerun right out of the box with Superstar.

I have a friend who is fanatical about JCS. He finds and collects different versions that have been recorded. He shares them with me and many are fine. But I think the original is a classic rock effort for the ages.

Home run indeed! A grand-slam.

Have you ever heard the their original cast recording of JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT? It too is awesome, though not many know of it. And most that do, know only of the Donny Osmond version (which isn't all that bad).

I have seen a movie version which must of been made in the 70's. In it they are driving around the desert in a Kombi van and they are all dressed as hippies. They used to make us watch this every easter at school.

Also, when I was in kindergarten we sang a song out of this for a paraliturgy. It was that Hosanna one. I remember that everyone loved singing it. :)

I have seen a movie version which must of been made in the 70's. In it they are driving around the desert in a Kombi van and they are all dressed as hippies. They used to make us watch this every easter at school.

Also, when I was in kindergarten we sang a song out of this for a paraliturgy. It was that Hosanna one. I remember that everyone loved singing it. :)

This one??

(Crowd)

Hosanna Heysanna Sanna Sanna Ho

Sanna Hey Sanna Ho Sanna

Hey J C, J C won't you smile at me?

Sanna Ho Sanna Hey Superstar

(Caiaphas)

Tell the rabble to be quiet

We anticipate a riot

This common crowd

Is much too loud

Tell the mob who sing your song

That they are fools and they are wrong

They are a curse

They should disperse

(Crowd)

Sanna Hey Sanna Ho Sanna

Hey J C, J C you're alright by me

(Jesus)

Why waste your breath moaning at the crowd?

Nothing can be done to stop the shouting

If ev'ry tongue was still the noise would still continue

The rocks and stones themselves would start to sing:

(Crowd, with Jesus)

Sanna Hey Sanna Ho Sanna

Hey J C, J C won't you fight for me?

That's the one RonJon.

What's the title?

I like 'I Don't Know How To Love Him' too Edna. What's the other one Mary Magdalene sings? Is it called 'Everything's Alright'???

It's just called "Hosanna" and the Mary Magdalene songs are "I Don't Know How To Love Him" and "Everything's Alright".

By the way, when Judas breaks out into a pained version of "I Don't Know How To Love Him" it is really chilling.

Older Version filmed in Jerusalem is way better. A good friend of mine just played Judas in it. I like Jesus Christ Superstar cause it centers around Judas. Judas gets top billing i believe on Broadway for this play. Im one of those guys that have memorized every word of every song from JCS. My Favorite song from it is probably King Herods Song.

The guy who played Herod (name slipped mind) Well...hes the only guy to have ever really made it in movies and tv. Remember the principal from Billy Madison?? That was him.

Must Die Must Die this Jesus must Die. Jesus Must Jesus Must Jesus Must DIIIIIIIIIE!

Have you ever heard the their original cast recording of JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT? It too is awesome, though not many know of it. And most that do, know only of the Donny Osmond version (which isn't all that bad).

I love the Donny Osmond version! I have it on tape and I think it's just awesome. I've loved it for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I used to have every song memorized.

Jacob! Jacob and sons! :rockon:

Hahahaha, the only religious story I enjoy.

Although you have to admit that "Herod's Song" is just plain fun. This is by far my most favorite muscial of all time. I have both the original cast soundtrack, the movie soundtrack and the movie on VHS, in addition to the sheet music book for piano. It's become tradition to only play that during Holy Week if we're on the piano.

I would love to see this live on stage. I was going to go when it was revived on Broadway a few years ago, but the timing didn't work out. Hopefully I'll catch one of the many touring groups that are going around these days.

Although you have to admit that "Herod's Song" is just plain fun. This is by far my most favorite muscial of all time. I have both the original cast soundtrack, the movie soundtrack and the movie on VHS, in addition to the sheet music book for piano. It's become tradition to only play that during Holy Week if we're on the piano.

I would love to see this live on stage. I was going to go when it was revived on Broadway a few years ago, but the timing didn't work out. Hopefully I'll catch one of the many touring groups that are going around these days.

The songs work in any level of production. go see it, even if it's the local high school version. Then again, it's probably banned in highschools because of the religious aspects. go see a local theatre group then, you'll love it.