Free Jazz

nobody_home

I know this message board concerns mostly rock music and many posters probably don't listen to jazz, but I have a question concerning free jazz. I understand the concept behind free jazz (diminished dependence on formal constraints) and what it is about, but why was it considered such an accomplishment and innovative idea? Isn?t it really just a bunch of guys playing unorganized random notes without any regard to form or structure? That?s like the equivalent of a poet writing random words on a piece of paper and calling it a poem, or a painter throwing random globs of paint on a canvas and calling it a painting. It's unsound.

I've been to quite a few 'free jazz' nights at a club back home, where random members of the audience who could play or sing were able to 'jam' with band members and other audience members. The thing with freestyle jazz is - it either works really well or it doesn't work at all.

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. It's so rare that all the music and the vibe and/or the voice just blend and flow and crescendo and dissipate leaving the crowd in awe of what had just been witnessed. Never to happen again, unintentional, accidental brilliance.

This is, of course, just my opinion.