Popular guitarists

I'm just browsing some of my friends MSN Messenger profiles and I have come across some names I don't reconize. I now that they are muscians though. I was wondering if you guys good give me a little bit of info about them...what band they played in, when they came out, ect. Here are the names:

Yngwie Malmsteen

Zakk Wylde

Tony Iommi

Joe Perry

Thats it. Thanks!

Malmsteen is the most overrated guitarist of all time. Seriously. He plays the same 6 notes over and over, with 16 different effect boxes under his foot. I know. I watched him do it from 10 feet away. OVERRATED. All done with effects.

Malmsteen is the most overrated guitarist of all time. Seriously. He plays the same 6 notes over and over, with 16 different effect boxes under his foot. I know. I watched him do it from 10 feet away. OVERRATED. All done with effects.

Yeah, I never got him. I've just had someone yapping in my ear about how great Malmsteen is and personally I can't see the appeal. :thumbsdown:

Trampled,

All four of the guitarists you mention deserve a round of applause for their guitar playing abilities. You'll hear opinions from both sides attesting to how great they were or how over-rated they were, since everyone's personal tastes differ.

The bottom line is they all contributed greatly to the bands they were with and should be recognized for their playing abilities and contributions to the music that we listen to today.

Here's some info on all four guitarists, including songs and albums they played on.

I enjoyed all of them and have no favorite. I think they all deserve tremendous credit for making great music for us fans to listen to.

Also, did you know that both Toni Iommi and Yngwie Malmsteen overcame major physical setbacks to continue their playing?

Both succeeded to continue with great success and us grateful fans are glad that they did.

Toni Iommi, who sliced off the fingers of his right hand in a machine accident and continued playing with plastic tips attached to his fingers is guitarist for the band, Black Sabbath. The band was extremely succesful and had many different singers over the years including their original singer, Ozzy Osbourne and also Ronnie James Dio. Listen to his great guitar riffs and leads and you will see why Tony Iommi is one of the top hard rock performers and influential guitarists of the 70's and 80's.

For some of Black Sabbath's best work, check out the albums "Paranoid" from the 70's with singer Ozzy Osbourne and "Heaven And Hell" from the 80's with singer Ronnie James Dio. Early 70's Black Sabbath hits can be found on "We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll", released in 1975. Also, those songs and more can be found on a 2 CD package titled "Symptom Of The Universe: The Original Black Sabbath" (1970-1978) released in 2002.

Iommi has also recorded a few albums as a solo artist.

Check out the song, "Goodbye Lament" from the album, Iommi.

Joe Perry, guitarist for Aerosmith. With many gold and platinum albums during the '70s (including their most successful of the '70s, "Toys In The Attic"), the band faded out in the early 80's as a result of drugs and alcohol. They made a comeback in the late 80's and made their way back to the top of the charts and were just as popular, if not more, as they were in the 70's.

Perry left the band in 1979 to form the Joe Perry Project and rejoined Aerosmith again in 1984. Both Perry and singer, Stephen Tyler entered drug rehabilitation programs in 1985, and recorded the highly successful album, "Permanent Vacation" in 1987, followed by the equally popular albums, "Pump" in 1989 and "Get A Grip" in 1993.

Their early hits can be found on "Aerosmith's Greatest Hits", released in 1980 and their later hits can be found on "Big Ones", released in 1994. Still recording today, the band is popular world-wide.

Zakk Wylde was introduced as Ozzy Osbourne's new lead guitarist in 1987. The group released the following albums between 1988 and 1993 with Wylde as guitarist: "No Rest For The Wicked" (1988), "Just Say Ozzy" (1990 live EP), "No More Tears" (1991), and "Live And Loud" (1993 live double album).

Wylde left Ozzy in 1994 to form his own band. After only one album, Wylde's group, Pride & Glory disbanded. Wylde then released his first solo album, "Book Of Shadows" in 1996 and "Sonic Brew" in 1999.

He returned to Ozzy's band when Ozzy's current guitarist wasn't working out and played guitar on Ozzy's studio album releases, "Down To Earth" (2001) and also "Ozzmosis" (2005), while continuing to work on his solo material, releasing 2 more solo albums.

Some of the more popular songs from Ozzy, with Zakk Wylde on guitar are:

"Miracle Man" from the album, No Rest For The Wicked,

"Mama I'm Coming Home" and "No More Tears" from the album, No More Tears.

"Dreamer" from the album, Down To Earth.

"Perry Mason" and "See You On The Other Side" from the album, Ozzmosis.

He then went on to form the duo, Black Label Society. Check out their songs, "Stillborn" from the album, The Blessed Hellride, "Suicide Messiah" from the album, Mafia and "Concrete Jungle" from the album, "Shot To Hell".

Yngwie Malmsteen (pronounced "ing-vay"), born and raised in Sweden, started playing guitar when he was 7 years old. He practiced obsessively, honing his skills at playing scales and riffs of rock and classical music, developing his trademark lightning-fast appregios known as "shredding".

At 18, he came to the US, joined the band "Steeler" and recorded one album with them.

He then joined "Alcatrazz", but not being satisfied, he formed his own band, Yngwie J. Malmsteen's "Rising Force". Their first album, titled "Rising Force" was released in 1984. It was a mostly instrumental guitar album (only 2 of the 8 songs have vocals), spotlighting his guitar work and lightning-fast technique. The album was a huge success and received a grammy nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance. He was also voted Best New Talent in several reader's polls, Best Rock Guitarist the year after, and "Rising Force" became Album Of The Year. The guitar solo in the song "Black Star" from this album was listed as one of the top 25 solos of all time in Guitar World magazine.

In the following years, Malmsteen released 2 more albums.

Then, in 1987, he crashed his car and was nearly killed from a blood clot in his brain. He also damaged the nerves leading to his picking hand. Through therapy, he regained the use of his hand and released the highly successsful album Odysseyin 1988, which included the hit, "Heaven Tonight".

He has released many albums over the years.

After "Rising Force" disbanded, Malmsteen formed a new band in Sweden and continued releasing albums.

Some people say Malmsteen was over-technical and that he lacked emotion in his playing, simply because he plays fast. Because you hear a flurry of notes doesn't mean there is no emotion. Speed, if used effectively (which Malmsteen does), can be very emotional.

You can hear a good mix of songs from Malmsteen's first album and more, up to 1990 on the CD from Polygram Records "The Yngwie Malmsteen Collection", released 1991.

I hope this helps you get acquainted with these fine guitarists.

• 2 weeks later...