Best Endings - READ RULES OF THREAD

Batman

READ THESE SUPER COOL THREAD RULES:

1. Spoilers are OK, but you need to start off the post with "SPOILER AHEAD" or something like that.

2. It would also be a good idea to mention the movie along with the spoiler warning. Nobody likes the ending given away to a movie.

3. Don't assume just because the movie is a classic, everyones seen it and knows the ending.

SPOILER AHEAD!

So anyways, I think that "One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest" has one of the best endings. The movie as a whole until the ending is kind of lighthearted. Then the ending with the guys suicide is really heavy and unexpected. In fact, an unhappy ending in any way was really unexpected. And then of course there was the cheif smothering McMurphy and running away. Great ending!

Sixth Sense...Shamalayan got the ending perfectly here. Sadly not since, though.

Alien...I can watch Sigourney Weaver in her bra and panties fighting "Mother" over and over again.

The Thing (original version)..the arc of electricity was brilliant.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind...Beam me up, Scotty!

An Affair To Remember (Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr version). A tear jerker to remember.

The Shining...."Heeeeere's Johnny"!

Dr. Zhivago...no spoiler...see it for yourself.

An Affair To Remember (Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr version). A tear jerker to remember.

Oh, Lord, what a movie! Why don't we have a hanky waving crying graemlin? I'm still mad at Warren and Annette for having the cojones to remake it.

RACHEL! I can't believe I forgot Fight Club. I was floored by the ending. Absolutely freaking floored.

I liked it because I'm a fan of Milos Forman (the director). He directed The Fireman's Ball, One Flew Over The Cuckooo's Nest, The Loves Of A Blonde (kinda New Wavish there), but is better known in the US for Amadeus and People Vs. Larry Flynt. Having read De Laclos's novel, though, all versions are sort of spoiled to some degree. Personally, I think Colin Firth was much better cast as the Vicomte. I just couldn't see Malkovich as the playboy antihero. Glenn Close looked too old to be the Marquise. I'm just going by looks alone. Adaptation-wise, both take their liberties, but not too much (at least not as much as other versions). You can't be a stickler since films are to be seen as separate from the books. I can tell you both are far better than Cruel Intentions. That one was purely made as a teen flick to display the latest teen stars (I'm not much of a Reese Witherspoon fan either... her chin scares me :puppyeyes: ).

The book is interesting. It was written in the form of letters. It reminded me of other books from the time which were written in the same form, namely that Abelard and Eloise book (worth flipping through if you ever get the time) and the beginning of Frankenstein and all of Dracula.

The Sixth Sense

The Crying Game

Sleuth - plot twist upon plot twist upon plot twist.

The Usual Suspects

Spoiler Alert!!!

Dial M for Murder - is he going to open the door or isn't he? The expression on Ray Milland's face when he realizes the jig is up, is one of the most eloquent in the history of film. :coolio:

The Crying Game

The movie could have ended better if they had cut the very last scene (I'd say about 5-10 minutes of it). Neil Jordan made another, less famous weird movie about a taboo relationship. If you liked The Crying Game, you should see The Miracle.

"Get Shorty " such a clever, satisfying piece that you are actually watching the credits hoping for a sequel -- very rare.

Brian DePalma did a little trick like that in Body Double ;) I think you will like it, not only for its kitsch references to Hitchcock and 80s pop culture, but also for this same sort of "twist". So many twists to win a go-go marathon :)

"A Man For All Seasons" : Thomas Moore's defence of his position is brilliant and his acceptance of his fate so noble, that the inevitable is not at all unhappy.

"Patton" : Riding his white horse and reflecting on his shortcomings...the anachronistic warrior. Gregory Peck's speach at the end of "MacArthur" was good as well.