Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs

OLD 55

Old 55, thanks for taking the time to compile this list of songs we think should have been included on RSM's top 500 list. It's very interesting to see the diversity of opinion. I'm glad to see that you included Walk Don't Run by the Ventures on your list of inclusions. I love the Ventures, but it never occurred to me to put one of their tunes on my list of inclusions. The first album I ever bought was their 10th Anniversary disc. I still have it although some of the tracks are a little the worse for wear. In total, I have 10 Ventures albums/CD's. Nokie Edwards and Gerry McGee are/were great guitarists.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I'm just here to reset the 'Last Post' date, you can ignore me and carry on...

:)

Hi Sara. The ONLY trouble is, I notice that my TWO POSTS from yesterday have disappeared! ONE was a very long post acknowledging, replying to comments and thanking Invis, Batman and CanAm - sorry my friends. I'll have to have another go at answering the points you made. Not right now, because I'm too tee'd off!

The second was a reply to edna and showing Brian Wilson's Top 10 (+ Ozzy Osbourne's).

I'm a TERRIBLE TYPIST and it took me about an hour to do those. NOT HAPPY!

:thumbsdown:

CURRENT LIST OF SUGGESTED INCLUSIONS TO THE TOP 500

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION: MEN AND LADIES AT WORK !!!)

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago (1970) CanAm

American Pie - Don McLean (1971) Jimmy1104

Apache (I)- The Shadows (1960) Invisible r

Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult (1988) katie sane

Benny & The Jets - Elton John (1974) CanAm

Brain Damage - Pink Floyd (1973) Batman

Break On Through - Doors (1967) Invisible r

Cherry Bomb - John Mellencamp (1987) CanAm

Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin (1969) Batman

Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones (1973) edna

December 1963 (Oh What A Night) - 4 Seasons (1975) Old55

Do It Again - Steely Dan (1972) CanAm

Don't Answer Me - Alan Parsons Project (1984) edna

Don't Think Twice It's Alright - Peter, Paul And Mary (1963) Old55

Drive - Cars (1984) Old55

Eclipse - Pink Floyd (1973) Batman

Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen (1978) Batman

Father To Son - Queen (1974) Batman

Frankenstein (I) - Edgar Winter Group (1973) Batman

If You Leave Me Now - Chicago (1976) Old55

(Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (1980) Old55

Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison (1959) Old55

La Grange - ZZ Top (1974) CanAm

Life In The Fast Lane - The Eagles (1977) CanAm

Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi (1986) Old55

Lullaby - Cure (1989) Inviible r

Long Train Running - The Doobie Brothers (1973) CanAm

Needles And Pins - Searchers (1964) Old55

Old Days - Chicago (1975) CanAm

One - Metallica (1989) katie sane

Pipeline (I) - Chantays (1963) Old55

Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan (1974) CanAm

Rock and Roll Never Forgets - Bob Seger (1977) CanAm

Roundabout - Yes (1972) Batman

San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers... ) - Scott McKenzie (1967) Old55

Seven Seas Of Rhye - Queen (1974) Batman

Sleepwalk (I) - Santo & Johnny Farina (1959) Old55

Space Oddity - David Bowie (1969) Invisible r

Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix (1967) Batman

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (1979) CanAm

Take Good Care Of My Baby - Bobby Vee (1961) Old55

Time Of The Season - Zombies (1969) katie sane

Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler (1983) Old55

Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie (1981) Old55

Walk - Don't Run (I) - Ventures (1960) Old55

What A Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers (1979) Old55

Where Is My Mind - Pixies (1988) Invisible r

Who's Crying Now - Journey (1984) CanAm

You're So Vain - Carly Simon (1972) edna

(I) = INSTRUMENTAL.

TO BE ADDED - (COULD YOU PLEASE ADD THE YEAR FOR MORE SUGGESTED INCLUSIONS TO THE LIST? - ESPECIALLY ALBUM TRACKS. THANKS) !

Jimmy, Boris and DJKat's suggestions.

Turn The Page - Bob Seger (19 ) CanAm

Early Morning Rain - Gordon Lightfoot (19 ) CanAm

:guitar:

Thanks Edna, you're very kind. :) I haven't tried to do anything more here while the Site is running so slow. I had a full page Post ready about a week ago and lost it!

CanAm, I haven't heard Gordon Lightfoot's version of "Early Mornin' Rain", only Peter, Paul And Mary's. Of course he wrote it and "(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me" which they covered also. Both great songs. :)

I am all for more Beatles songs! In fact I think they left a few key ones out. There are just so many great songs by The Beatles, and I don't think that it is bias on the part of Rolling Stone Magazine. The Beatles are one of a select group of prolific artists that besides having a monumental impact on the world, consistently produced high quality material and evolved as artists.

And I have a few more songs to add to our already great list:

Revolution - The Beatles (1968)

Helter Skelter - The Beatles (1968)

Starman - David Bowie (1972)

Rebel, Rebel - David Bowie (1974)

53rd & 3rd - The Ramones (1976)

Rockaway Beach - The Ramones (1977)

Night Moves - Bob Seger (1976)

All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks (1964)

The Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (1970)

I'm sorry but I think that 23 songs covers their impact quite well, I don't think more is necessary, its more than twice as many as elvis, the stones etc. as for key songs being left out, the same applies for other artists as well in my opinion

I don't. They're better than Elvis and The Rolling Stones anyways (though I do love both of them too :bow: :bow:). The reason they have more songs in the Top 500 must be because they are more popular. Otherwise Elvis and The Stones would have been in it more.

Of course there were key songs left out by other artists, I've added a heap myself, and that's the point of this whole thread isn't it? To discuss which songs should have made it into the Top 500?? :thumbsup:

Hi Karhul and Sammy. How about giving us YOUR TOP TENS 1955-2005? NOT just your Ten Favorite Songs, but songs you reckon rank as the BEST of all time !

HERE'S MINE AGAIN:

MY TOP SONGS OF THE ROCK ERA - 1955 TO NOW

WITH ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE (RSM)POSITIONS

1. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - Righteous Brothers (1964) RSM # 34

Perfectly produced by Phil Spector, Perfect Vocals, Perfect Backup Vocals, Perfect Instrumentation. Every time I hear it I listen for something which could have been done better, but I can never find ANYTHING!

2. She Loves You - Beatles (1963) RSM # 64

THE song that immediately identifies the EARLY Beatles.

3. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel (1970) RSM # 47

Paul Simon's Greatest songwriting triumph + Art Garfunkel's soaring vocals + magnificent production and instrumentation make this the Greatest song of the 70s.

4. (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock -Bill Haley and his Comets (1955) RSM # 158

5. Crying - Roy Orbison (1961) RSM # 69

6. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley (1956) RSM # 197

7. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin (1971) RSM # 31

8. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys (1966) RSM # 6

9. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones (1965) RSM # 2

10. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (1975) RSM # 163

11. Hotel California - Eagles (1971) RSM # 49

12. The Great Pretender - Platters (1956) RSM # 351

13. Runaway - Del Shannon (1961) RSM # 466

(Still working on 14-500).

MORE songs I reckon should be in the 500-

Day After Day - Badfinger (1971)

Hello, Goodbye - Beatles (1967)

Take My Breath Away - Berlin (1986)

So Long - Fischer Z (1980)

I think its too hard to give a top 10. After you get past 5, you get stuck and just pick songs you like, not your fave really, so here's my defenite top 5 (In order).

1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin.

2. Hotel California - The Eagles.

3. Layla - Eric Clapton.

4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen.

5. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix.

Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult (1988) katie sane

That is a great song, but it's not 1988, its 1974. It's on the album "Secret Treaties." It was released on "Imaginos" in 1988, but it was first released on "Secret Treaties."

Anyways, here are some more suggestions:

Blue Oyster Cult - Godzilla 77

She Loves You - Beatles (1963)

OldFyf, I guess you´re the only person who´d agree with me about this song. I don´t remember if I listed it among my ten faves (guess not...) but actually I think that song is an icon... there´s rock and pop After and Before "She loves you yeah yeah yeah yeaaaaaah..." ...and of course, add it to my list!!!

I´m sure Karhul means the original "Layla" (Dereck & the Dominos), I also call it "Clapton"...

OldFyf, I guess you´re the only person who´d agree with me about this song. I don´t remember if I listed it among my ten faves (guess not...) but actually I think that song is an icon... there´s rock and pop After and Before "She loves you yeah yeah yeah yeaaaaaah..." ...and of course, add it to my list!!!

I´m sure Karhul means the original "Layla" (Dereck & the Dominos), I call it "Clapton" too...

I´m sure Karhul means the original "Layla" (Dereck & the Dominos), I call it "Clapton" too...

My suggestion of "One Nation Under A Groove" in the Music of Choice has inspired me to add these songs by Funkadelic.

Groovallegience

Who Says A Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!

Cholly (Funk Gettin' Ready to Roll!)

Lunchmeataphobia (Think, It Aint Illegal Yet!)

Maggot Brain

All were released in 1979, I think

Thanks Batman and Edna. So "Astronomy" was a re-release!Yes, I think Karhul would mean Derek and the Dominoes too - and Edna you put "She Loves You" at #1 on your list.

I've mentioned that our grandchildren are staying with us and I don't get much access to the computer, but I DO intend to follow up this thread by rehashing the list of inclusions that we're compiling!

Also, we'll have to think about "bumping a few off" RSM's list. You can access it on the FIRST POST in this thread.

Any suggestions there? (please don't drop one because you don't know it though).

Maybe they're a U.S. icon (?), but I can't understand Sly and thr Family Stone getting 6 songs in the 500. I'd bump at least 4 of them. Also, I don't think any song before 1955 (beginning of the Rock Era) should be included; RSM have included a token 10, which I'm going to drop - even though some of them are really good songs. BUT..you have to draw the line somewhere!

I would agree with you and Old too Edna!!! 'She Loves You' is a great, great song. I think writing your own top ten is so hard because you have to remember that this is the top ten GREATEST songs of all time, not just your favourite top ten songs.

Also, we'll have to think about "bumping a few off" RSM's list. You can access it on the FIRST POST in this thread.

Any suggestions there? (please don't drop one because you don't know it though).

Maybe they're a U.S. icon (?), but I can't understand Sly and thr Family Stone getting 6 songs in the 500. I'd bump at least 4 of them. Also, I don't think any song before 1955 (beginning of the Rock Era) should be included; RSM have included a token 10, which I'm going to drop - even though some of them are really good songs. BUT..you have to draw the line somewhere!

Old, I was thinking the same things. I am not a huge fan of Sly & The Family Stone, so maybe I am biased, but I didn't think that they were worthy of six big places on the countdown. I am going to get out my copy of Rolling Stone later and check out others I think shoulda been left out too.