Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs

OLD 55

Jimmy and yourselves have a lot of good points I'd like to try and expand on. One of them is the lack of songs by some GREAT 70s Bands (Chicago, America, E.L.O., Dire Straits Etc Etc.) which you mentioned.

There's no doubt their judges have some "Golden Haired" artists whom they believe can do no wrong. I think they worship Phil Spector, Brian Wilson and Bob Dylan - who I'm NOT knocking. My #1 Song is Phil Spector produced. Also, Sly and the Family Stone??? James Brown, I could understand, but I don't get that. I've just bought a double CD of theirs to see HOW they managed to get 6 songs in the 500.

ALSO, as Jimmy said, were they doing ROCK songs OR songs of the ROCK ERA??? Just browsing through quickly, you couldn't call these ROCK songs, could you?:

Dancing Queen, Lean On Me, In My Room, I Fall To Pieces, Love Shack, Heartbreaker, Baby Love, Killing Me Softly, Band Of Gold, It's Too Late, + +

I tend to find many a disagreement with their list as well. I find Dylan overrated on this list, all be him an amazingly prominent figure and decent song to boot. Like a Rolling Stone is not the #1 Rock Song, nor is it the #1 Song of the Rock Era, whichever way you want to look at the list. As A DJ put it on Q104.3 "You can't rock out to Like a Rolling Stone, it just doesn't work." Which is totally true.

They overlooked some very prominent and influencial artists. I'm going to use the example of Warren Zevon. How could they not include him on their list???! I mean aside from his own career which spannd over three decades, he also wrote songs for Linda Rondstant and many others. He also hepled boost the careers of Linda Rondstant, Mic Fleetwood, and the Rolling Stones.

This list only skimmed the surface of great artists and songs. I think that we need to find a more reliable source to compile this list.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jimmy. GREAT Post DJ.

:thumbsup:

This list only skimmed the surface of great artists and songs. I think that we need to find a more reliable source to compile this list.

I AGREE ! How about WE have a go at doing one here ?

For starters, I suggest we head up 2 lists: -

A. Nominations for Songs that we feel SHOULD have been included (we have a few already).

B. Nominations for Songs that we feel DON'T deserve to be there.

I'll check tomorrow (Aus Time) for your thoughts on those

and commence the Lists.

:sleepy: :guitar:

ROLLING STONE'S 500 GREATEST SONGS OF THE ROCK ERA:

NOMINATIONS FOR SONGS TO BE POSSIBLY INCLUDED

I JUST SPENT AN HOUR ON IT AND LOST THE INFO> I"M SO TICKED OFF, I'LL COME BACK TO IT LATER!

I was going through Jimmy's list. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock" is there, but you're right - "American Pie" isn't. THAT'S RIDICULOUS!

P.S. I'm doing it as Songs Of The Rock Era, so all you closet Carpenters fans can include them in your lists. (They Long To Be) Close To You will be in MY Top 25.

:guitar:

Hi Katie. I'd be the worst typist of all time, and I had most of the suggested additions done when I lost the lot. AAAgh. You were at the top with One/ Metallica (1989) and Astronomy/ Blue Oyster Cult (1988) - I must try to listen to that sometime, don't know it - so now I'll add Time Of The Season/ Zombies (1969) too. I know it well.

:coolio:

Oh oh... "96 Tears" by ? & the Mysterians is #210... well, alright... but, did they ever heard about Carly Simon? Non related to Paul Simon but daughter of Simon of Simon&Schuster... She´s not on the list... or else I went half blind. So, how can we trust this if "You´re so vain" is not on the list?

Carole King has just one song...

"Solitaire" or "Say Goodbye to Love" (Carpenters) are non-existant too... I didn´t see Bob Seger on the list this time, though maybe he has 1 (ONE) song... No CARS... he he he...

LIST OF SUGGESTED INCLUSIONS TO THE TOP 500

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION: MEN AND LADIES AT WORK !!!)

American Pie - Don McLean (1971) Jimmy1104

Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult (1988) katie sane

Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones (1973) edna

December 1963 (Oh What A Night) - 4 Seasons (1975) Old55

Don't Answer Me - Alan Parsons Project (1984) edna

Drive - Cars (1984) Old55

If You Leave Me Now - Chicago (1976) Old55

(Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (1980) Old55

Needles And Pins - Searchers (1964) Old55

One - Metallica (1989) katie sane

Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison (1959) Old55

Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi (1986) Old55

Pipeline - Chantays (1963) Old55

San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) - Scott McKenzie (1967) Old55

Sleepwalk Santo & Johnny Farina (1959) Old55

Time Of The Season - Zombies (1969) katie sane

Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler (1983) Old55

Walk - Don't Run - Ventures (1960) Old55

What A Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers (1979) Old55

You're So Vain - Carly Sinon (1972) edna

This is tough, and constantly changing, but...

My Top Ten Of The Rock Era.

1. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

2. Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

3. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused

4. Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing

5. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

6. Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls

7. Jimi Hendrix - Spanish Castle Magic

8. Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

9. Beatles - Hey Jude

10. Pink Floyd - Brain Damage/Eclipse

Songs that should have been on the RS list:

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group. I didn't notice it on there. Edgar Winter Group was a great classic rock group, and this song was hard rocking and experimental. I saw it live on The Old Grey Whistle Test and it was amazing, with the drum solo, and saxaphone, and keyboards with Edgar doing the cool effects.

Seven Seas of Rhye - Queen, I didn't see this one there. I think that besides Bohemian Rhapsody, this song best shows what Queen is all about. Heavy guitars, great vocals, goofiness, and majestic sounding.

Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix. This song has one of the best intros of all time. One of Jimi's best songs, period.

Yes - Roundabout. I can't believe this wasn't on there. I can't believe it so much, that I think I probably just skipped over it accidentally. Anyways, this is one of Yes's best songs. It combines funk and their prog rock. The keyboards are really amazing on this song.

I don't think Hey Ya! By Outkast should have been on there. It's catchy, and nothing more.

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT!

TEN ACTS THAT ROLLING STONE BELIEVE CAN DO NO WRONG (MUSICALLY)

1. Phil Spector (Producer)

2. Bob Dylan

3. Brian Wilson

4. Sly And The Family Stone

5. The Clash

6. Led Zeppelin

7. Nirvana

8. Jimi Hendrix

9. Bob Marley

10.Al Green

This DOESN'T mean I don't like the above ! I just think they could have recorded ANYTHING and it would have been included.

ALSO, there's only ONE Instrumental? A fine one, "Green Onions"/ Booker T. and the M.G.s, but how about "Sleepwalk"/ Santo & Johnny - almost every good guitarist has a version of that on one of their albums.

And all the great Surfing Songs of the 60s, EG the legendary "Pipeline"/ The Chantays.

Thanks for the input Batman and Pete. You can see I agree with you about Instrumentals Batman, but I have different thoughts about Jimi. My favorite song of his is "The Wind Cries Mary", so I guess I'm pretty conservative !

I don't know much about Little Feat, Pete, but I'll try to download that song and have a listen to it.

:guitar:

Thanks Katie. I think it was a bit of a case of Hero - Worship by whoever finalised the List, which I'm sure was NOT a concensus of all the voters.

I know you have the RSM Magazine which gives a few sample Top Tens. Wouldn't Brian Wilson's have to be the most biased of any? 1 to 5 are all Phil Spector produced songs, and 6 to 10 are all Beach Boys' songs!

:headphones:

I know you have the RSM Magazine which gives a few sample Top Tens. Wouldn't Brian Wilson's have to be the most biased of any? 1 to 5 are all Phil Spector produced songs, and 6 to 10 are all Beach Boys' songs!

I can´t believe this... :o

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT!

TEN ACTS THAT ROLLING STONE BELIEVE CAN DO NO WRONG (MUSICALLY)

1. Phil Spector (Producer)

2. Bob Dylan

3. Brian Wilson

4. Sly And The Family Stone

5. The Clash

6. Led Zeppelin

7. Nirvana

8. Jimi Hendrix

9. Bob Marley

10.Al Green

This DOESN'T mean I don't like the above ! I just think they could have recorded ANYTHING and it would have been included.

you dont think the beatles are infallible according to all music magazines?

Here are some of the songs I believe should have been included on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the top 500 songs of all time.

La Grange - ZZ Top

Do It Again - Steely Dan

Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan

Turn The Page - Bob Seger

Rock and Roll Never Forgets - Bob Seger

Life In The Fast Lane - The Eagles

Benny & The Jets - Elton John

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

Old Days - Chicago

Who's Crying Now? - Journey

Cherry Bomb - John Mellencamp

Long Train Running - The Doobie Brothers

Early Morning Rain - Gordon Lightfoot

I agree with Pete about Little Feat. They are a very good band. You should check them out Old 55.

How did James Brown merit so many songs on the list?

Thanks Katie. I think it was a bit of a case of Hero - Worship by whoever finalised the List, which I'm sure was NOT a concensus of all the voters.

I am looking at that right now! But we all know Brian Wilson has a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock!! :laughing:

I am looking at that right now! But we all know Brian Wilson has a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock!! :laughing:

Katie, do you think we should speak English instead of Strine ? ALL people who haven't been to Oz think we have Kangaroos jumping around the main streets and Koalas on the light poles. :laughing:

" A few kangaroos short in the top paddock" roughly translated = "got a few screws loose", "not a full quid", "20c in the dollar", "not the sharpest knife in the drawer", "silly as a two bob watch", "mad as a cut snake", "silly as a wheel"- in other words, a Dopey Bugger.

LIST OF SUGGESTED INCLUSIONS TO THE TOP 500

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION: MEN AND LADIES AT WORK !!!)

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago (1970) CanAm

American Pie - Don McLean (1971) Jimmy1104

Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult (1988) katie sane

Benny & The Jets - Elton John (1974) CanAm

Cherry Bomb - John Mellencamp (1987) CanAm

Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones (1973) edna

December 1963 (Oh What A Night) - 4 Seasons (1975) Old55

Do It Again - Steely Dan (1972) CanAm

Don't Answer Me - Alan Parsons Project (1984) edna

Don't Think Twice It's Alright - Peter, Paul And Mary (1963) Old55

Drive - Cars (1984) Old55

Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen (1978) Batman

Frankenstein (I) - Edgar Winter Group (1973) Batman

If You Leave Me Now - Chicago (1976) Old55

(Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (1980) Old55

Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison (1959) Old55

La Grange - ZZ Top (1974) CanAm

Life In The Fast Lane - The Eagles (1977) CanAm

Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi (1986) Old55

Long Train Running - The Doobie Brothers (1973) CanAm

Needles And Pins - Searchers (1964) Old55

Old Days - Chicago (1975) CanAm

One - Metallica (1989) katie sane

Pipeline (I) - Chantays (1963) Old55

Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan (1974) CanAm

Rock and Roll Never Forgets - Bob Seger (1977) CanAm

San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) - Scott McKenzie (1967) Old55

Seven Seas Of Rhye - Queen (1974) Batman

Sleepwalk(I) - Santo & Johnny Farina (1959) Old55

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (1979) CanAm

Time Of The Season - Zombies (1969) katie sane

Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler (1983) Old55

Walk - Don't Run (I) - Ventures (1960) Old55

What A Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers (1979) Old55

Who's Crying Now - Journey (1984) CanAm

You're So Vain - Carly Simon (1972) edna

TO BE ADDED - (COULD YOU PLEASE ADD THE YEAR FOR MORE SUGGESTED INCLUSIONS TO THE LIST? - ESPECIALLY ALBUM TRACKS. THANKS) !

Turn The Page - Bob Seger (19 ) CanAm

Early Morning Rain - Gordon Lightfoot (19 ) CanAm

Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin (19 ) Batman

Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix (19 ) Batman

Brain Damage/Eclipse - Pink Floyd Batman

Roundabout - Yes (19 ) Batman

+ ONES FROM Jimmy, Boris and DJKat

:help:

Old55, here are the years. I'm not sure if they are the years the singles came out, but I know this is when the albums came out, which is close enough

Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin 1969

Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix 1967

Brain Damage/Eclipse - Pink Floyd 1973

Roundabout - Yes 1972

Thanks Invisible and Batman. I'll add those ones to the list.

Invis I think if you saw the makeup of the list of voters you'd see why there aren't too many new songs. There's a lot of old 60s guys and gals in there (some older than me), so they're naturally going to lean towards that decade. Point taken on The Beatles, but gee they had a lot of GREAT songs. Same with Elvis of course.

The only reason I know some of today's songs are because they're remakes of, or samples from , 60s and 70s songs, eg "Nasty Girl" is a remake of "Sugar Sugar"/ The Archies.

An English music magazine "Uncut" interviewed the great songwriting team of Holland/Dozier/Holland last year, and I found this snippet very interesting:

INTERVIEWER: "Would you say that breakbeats and samples have now replaced the art of creative songwriting. And most girl singers sound the same. It's homogenised pap".

EDDIE HOLLAND: "They even look the same! When you listened to, say, Martha Reeves or Diana Ross, you heard a unique voice and you wouldn't ever confuse them with a dozen others on the scene. Other problem is, hardly anyone is writing really great songs".

:coolio: