Is Metal DEAD?

Van Mozart

I Have Wondered this for Some time, is Metal Dead? Well I Think in some ways it is when rebllious bands sellout to the man*Cough Slipknot Cough Vol.3Cough* then I think we can say metal is mostly dead. Are only Hope is bands that must not be mentioned because if they gain too much attention they might sellout. So Find A awxsome band and tellonly a select few. For The Love Of Metal! Peace

I agree with Trampled. There are only like 2 modern metal bands I find worth my time: The Darkness(which is very glam rockish and a lot of people don't like the high vocals, but I like 'em) and Velvet Revolver (which is GNR minus Axl, not nearly as good as GNR was but still it's Slash so YES!).

:rockon:

Stick with the classics like Maiden, Slayer, Sepultura, and such. I can't think of any recent band that could live up to true headbanging. M2 has a Headbangers' Ball show, but KORN and Slipknot are not my idea of raw music with strength.

There are a few somewhat new decent metal bands: Shadows Fall, Children of Bodom, listened to a few Shadows falls' songs, pretty good, they have some nice solos(which is good to hear from a new metal band). Haven't heard anything from Children of Bodom but they're supposed to be very good(for a new band.)

Yes I do think most of metal is dead and I place the blame on grunge for thinking that you don't need guitar solo's and I also place the blame on Metallica, when they cut their hair and went into the mainstream, that opened the floodgates for the nu-metal bands like korn, slipknot, limp bizkit etc. Then other bands saw that angst sells and started to make albums just for the money(which goes back to the hair metal bands.)

As everyone else said the only good metal left are the old bands: Maiden, Judas Priest, OLD Metallica, Sabbath etc.

I believe that the European metal scene is much stronger than our North American scene. By stronger that means: more bands, more fans, more tours and festivals and better access to new metal through the media. In contrast, North America does not really have a TRUE metal scene at all. A string of Ozzfests does not constitute a metal scene, mainly because most of the bands on it aren't metal anyway. That's the problem over here. Things are based on trends and what's supposedly "in." I'm sure this is a problem everywhere but it is amplified over here as a result of crap like MTV dominating what's supposed to be cool (to me they define un-cool). That is not to say that there are not cool bands over here - for example there's Nevermore, Iced Earth, Annihilator, Steel Prophet, Kamelot, Crimson Glory, Jag Panzer, Virgin Steele, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Monstrosity, Testament, etc. etc. etc... However, talk to almost any of these bands about how they are doing in North America as opposed to Europe and you'll see that their primary reason for survival is the European scene. Many of these bands don't even do proper tours in North America!! I do feel that good music is not only ageless it's country-less. It's just that the band's from some countries are doing a lot more than others.

In Europe the metal scene has what I view as some very strong elements such as the melodic death metal scene with bands like In Flames, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquility. Then there is the large power metal scene with bands like Stratovarius, Helloween, Rhapsody and newcomers Sonata Arctica. Of course, we cannot forget the godfathers of metal - they are also from Europe. They are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I could go on and name 100's of other bands so please forgive me if I've skipped over your favorite band.

metal is definately NOT dead, and I'm not just saying that as a defensive fan, it really lives on. And as for this whole ongoing comment on modern metal, are you guys crazy? Let me suggest a few people: cradle of filth, morbid angel, nile, deicide, akercocke, dimmu borgir... although i will agree that some of the newer stuff is pretty much butchered versions of the old, such as the mix of rap and metal, but... ok... the darkness? mhmmm, they're not metal they're a disgrace to any catagory you put them in, and let me just be the one to tell you, they're 'rock' and there is a huge difference. but, whatever so, Oh, wait let me not forget that as to the main phrase 'is metal dead?' Europe is currently going through thier metal revolution like we did in the 80's. metal is alive and well.. what am i saying, metal is immortal...

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Hmmm..it's definetly not dead, but I agree that all those bands that were listed are just crappy death metal, that sounds like distorted screaming sounds into the microphone.

When someone says metal, I think of these bands:

Judas Priest, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Nazareth, Cinderella, W.A.S.P, Napalm Death, Accept, AC/DC, Warrant, Black Sabbath, Anthrax, Motorhead, Vyper, Motley Crue, Saint Vitus, etc..

I love most metal, hair metal, death metal, 80's metal. it's all good and while i agree that some metal bands are keeping true to the religon of metal. I believe that metal is on the verge of ruin when bands like slipknot disgrace metals name it kills metal. peace

also, the way metal is treated they think if we listen to new metal we're depressed and need help. And if we listen to old metal they think we're stoners. it sickens me but who cares if these people judge people by there music and generalizing and other crap then do we really want to be part of that? No. Some people might be shallow and judge like that but i'm not. I judge on the person and they're soul. Some of my best friends are considered socially unacceptable to most people well that is dumb. Sorry I'm off on a rant. I'll go now. Peace :rockon:

Speaking of metal, Ozzfest this year looks to have one of its most metalist "i know it's not a word but it works" line-ups in years.

BLACK SABBATH, IRON MAIDEN, ROB ZOMBIE, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SHADOWS FALL, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, AS I LAY DYING, MASTODON, THE HAUNTED, IN FLAMES, ARCH ENEMY, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, BURY YOUR DEAD, SOILWORK, TRIVIUM, IT DIES TODAY and A DOZEN FURIES

Speaking of metal, Ozzfest this year looks to have one of its most metalist "i know it's not a word but it works" line-ups in years.

BLACK SABBATH, IRON MAIDEN, ROB ZOMBIE, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SHADOWS FALL, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, AS I LAY DYING, MASTODON, THE HAUNTED, IN FLAMES, ARCH ENEMY, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, BURY YOUR DEAD, SOILWORK, TRIVIUM, IT DIES TODAY and A DOZEN FURIES

IRON MAIDEN?!?!!??!!?! Did I really read that right?! :rockon:

But metal is on the verge of destruction and people need to realize that. Metalheads Unite! We need a metal revival back to the olden days of awesome when metal was true from the soul. Today's Metal is mostly besids a few bands destroying it even more. SAVE THE METAL!!! peace

• 2 weeks later...

Van mozart,

Metal is dead as the dodo, but will still draw crowds to museums.

The eighties stuff was the same expression of emotion we unlocked in the 70's.

The whole 'big emotion' and 'world issue' driving it lost impetus in the 1990's.

Everything switched to the individual- hence the reality Tv boom we see now.

So issues for a metal fan in the day, Nuclear war, the devil, hard living etc.... are now small issues alongside whether some kid's phone is smaller than that other kid's who is looking at him.

The small good news is for a generation whose greatest imagination is 'who gets voted of survivor each week'- is that fashions and styles will have to recycle very quickly to keep them interested.

So I'd say we will see metal back from time to time.

Karl.