ATC's Lyrical Discussion: Week 1

So I've noticed that the only way to peak everyone's interest is to create an actual subject for everyone to discuss. So I'm going to start something new. Similar to "Book of the Month", this will be the "Lyric of the Week".

At the beginning of each week I'll post a new set of lyrics for everyone to discuss. But instead of making a note of what the artist was thinking, come up with your own opinions. What do you think the song is about? How does the song make you feel? Does it relate to you in any way? I'm going to make these lyrics somewhat non-mainstream so that only a very select few have actually heard the song which makes the discussion more interesting and much more opinionated. But please, do not use this time to bash others' opinions. This is meant to be an open discussion.

I'll post the lyrics in a minute.

P.S. Feel free to PM me with a set of lyrics you'd like to see discussed as well (not something well known).

"It'll Shine When It Shines" by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

The old cat on the roof

He could stand a little push

'Cause he's got nine good lives to live

But like my momma said

You only live 'til you're dead

And you got to give and give and give

There's a pebble in the pond

Goin' on and on,

Makin' waves and tides and ripples and rings

There's a leaf in the wind

That don't know where to end

Chasin' days and ways and wishes and dreams

Seems like ev'ry one

Is out lookin' for the sun

Singin' rain and pain on he who hesitates

But it'll shine when it shines

You might think I'm wastin' time

But I'm just a good old boy that's learned to wait

Whippoorwill's in the dawn

Pretty soon, he'll be gone

And he's got one good song to sing

But like my daddy said,

It's in your heart, not your head

And you got to sing and sing and sing

There's a window in the wall

Lookin' out on it all

Leavin' fears and tears and troubles alone

There's a fire in the stove

Keepin' out the cold,

Warmin' wine and winters and babies and homes

Seems like ev'ry one

But it'll shine when it shines

You might think I'm wastin' time

But I'm just a good old boy that's learned to wait

Yes, I'm just a good old boy that's learned to wait

So to get the ball rolling...

I see this song as "patience is a virtue". Don't chase down your dreams, let your dreams come to you. Relax your days away, don't rush them by. Take it all in, there's so much going on around you that if you don't take the time to stop and notice, that it will all just pass you by. Like love, if you go searching for it, you usually don't find it. But as soon as you stop, it seems to fall right into your lap.

I think this means you shouldn't rush life, especially when it comes to love. There are people who are so desperate for love that they will take any relationship and try to make it be love. But that is not the case...true love will find you when you are ready.

I saw that Aaron had already posted a response, but I purposely didn't read it. So if my answer is the same as his, forgive me.

And if it's not...he's wrong. J/K. ::

Unfortunately, you are right...although I, too, am fond of a little controversy. But I am here first and foremost because of my love of music. I have gotten so excited learning about the Band, and I plan on learning about more new (to me) music from everyone here. That's what makes me happiest. I've never heard of your Ozark Mountain Devils, but the lyrics are so cool, I plan on listening to it one of these days.

Keep on rockin' on, Aaron. :rockon:

I don´t know the OM Daredevils... but the songs seems to talk about being patient and taking the sunny part of life.

"Seems like ev'ry one

But it'll shine when it shines"

Things will come at its time and you don´t have to try to change the fate... or the natural way life goes on. Don´t run and struggle to get anything right... Reminds me of "Que sera, sera" :laughing: :laughing:

I like it, I´d like to hear them... what do they sound like?

Aaron, this is the first chance I've had to peek at this. It's good. The subject I mean. :coolio:

These lyrics remind me of something my grandma might of been telling me. Live your life the best you can. Your reward will come when it's time. ::

I too rate this thread a 10. I haven't posted because on this particular set of lyrics I have nothing cogent to add to what ATC and Peaches have already said. I think you both are right on. You too, edna.

I'll try to get in early on the next set.

BTW, didn't OZMDD do Jackie Blue? That's the only song with which I am familiar by them. What do you recommend of theirs?

BTW, didn't OZMDD do Jackie Blue? That's the only song with which I am familiar by them. What do you recommend of theirs?

Shut up! I love that song. I didn't know they sang that...I'll say it again, I love discovering new music.

Thanks Aaron...and thanks Uncle Joe for making me realize who they were. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

edited to add another shut up

Shut up! I know "If You Want to Get to Heaven", too! Those songs are both so completely different I never would have guessed that they were by the same group.

first of all i'm fairly new here, and ever since i found this site, i love it!...this is a great idea aaron. i grew up with the 70's music and i know this group, but never bought any albums, dont know why. i loved jackie blue. the other day i heard "if you want to get to heaven"..heard this song many times and never knew it was them....that's a great tune also. this song you mention i've never heard. i love the lyrics, they seem to say that you shouldnt rush through life, take time, and eventually good things will come....ok i've rambled on enough, just wanted to say great idea! :thumbsup:

I too rate this thread a 10. I haven't posted because on this particular set of lyrics I have nothing cogent to add to what ATC and Peaches have already said. I think you both are right on. You too, edna.

I'll try to get in early on the next set.

Yes they do Unky Joe. They also did "If You Wanna Get To Heaven". I need to come up with another set of lyrics. I picked up their Best Of album and I love it. It's got 21 songs ranging from blues Southern Rock to country Southern Rock to Honky Tonk Southern Rock. Quite a diverse sounding band.