Dylan vs Beatles

Carol38926

Kind of off-topic but somewhat pertains to the subject matter. Did Elvis write any music at all? Or were all his songs written by other people? I can't seem to find a single song with "Elvis Presley" as the accredited composer. If that's the case, then I would say Bob Dylan takes the award for most songs written period. We sure know how to grow them here in Minnesota!!!!

And don't forget about the Kinks. According to an excellent Kinks site, they have recorded 480 songs.

Legend has it that, in their fledgling years, the Kinks' act was seen one night by a record producer. The producer asked Ray Davies to "write a few tunes and bring them to my office". The very next day, Ray brought in a total of 61 songs that he had written the night before. NOW, THAT'S PROLIFIC! :bow: :bow: :bow:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Looking at the music listing on AMG, it looks like Ray Davies wrote at least 90% of the songs they've recorded.

The Beatles were very much divided between lyrics written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, so that lessens their accredited songs. But I'm guessing McCartney has written more songs then Lennon.

So I'm saying a good battle would be Bob Dylan vs. Paul McCartney vs. Ray Davies vs....? Neil Young seems to have written a lot of songs, but primarily recorded by himself or the bands he was in.

Looking at some of the top artists of all-time and the number of songs under their repertoire, I have compiled a list of artists with the most songs.

Elvis Presley 703

Frank Zappa 676

Elton John 514

Bee Gees 498

Kinks 443

Barbra Streisand 436

Van Morrison 422

Frank Sinatra 420

Bob Dylan 406

Roy Orbison 406

David Bowie 385

Neil Young 357

Now determining written credit would be a rather lengthy job.

I have yet to find a song that is credited to being written by Elvis Presley.

Where did you find that list? That's a great list.

That´s a good question, Addict, I´d like to know if Elvis wrote any song in his life... I´ll google to find out but if any of you know more, pls post it!

And that list is really interesting... is it from some site?

Oh, that´s a good site... I go there sometimes too, but it seems that they don´t have all the lyrics... there´s only some albums (for instance, of Bob Dylan) with their songs... There must be a complete list somewhere... First who finds it wins! :laughing: :laughing: