Dylan vs Beatles

Carol38926

I found this site, which claims to list all titles of songs written by Dylan. I have to think that with the Beatles solo stuff, they would give him a run for his money. After all, George released rock's first triple album, All Things Must Pass. He wrote up until he died. And Paul is still writing songs.

I insist on my opinion... I wouldn´t count Beatles solo albums as Beatles... anyway, it´no capital crime, it´s no hanging matter ("Stray Cat Blues", Rolling Stones) :happybanana:

Johnny Winter's version of "Stray Cat Blues" is a great cover and makes you feel even filthier than the Stones version. :guitar:

Johnny Winter's version of "Stray Cat Blues" is a great cover and makes you feel even filthier than the Stones version. :guitar:

Even filthier!!!:googly:Thank you, RonJon! I´ll try to get it... you´re always someone I can trust! :thumbsup: :bow:

I´d love to see that! I don´t mind if I go to jail too... :laughing: :laughing:

Off topic a bit, but the last time I saw Johnny Winter live was the last time i was in a fist fight. Saw him at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ (made famous by Bruce). The place was packed and drunk. I had a nice spot close to the stage, maybe 10 feet from where johnny would play. Johnny needed handlers to get his frail body on the stage. (He weighs 105 at best). Soon as he hit the stage, there was a rush and some jackass tried to push me aside to get a better view. I took exception to this and pushed him back. It turned into a classic 10 second fight that was broken up before bouncers could throw us out. I'm glad cause johnny wailed. By the way this was mid-80's. Thankfully no fist fights since.(One real ugly golf course incident but no blows were struck). :stars:

I bet Johnny can be me in a drinking contest...actually the same handlers carted him away to his next gig (I suppose).

When I saw him with Muddy Waters in NYC, he looked much healthier and that was only a few years before that last time. I went to a bar after the show and upon leaving the bar sliced my fingers open to the tune of nine stitches on two fingers. Spent all night in the emergency room of Lenox Hill Hospital...those were the days.

So to get back to the subject of the thread...

Bob Dylan has written over 500 songs either for himself or for others.

If you don't include The Beatles during solo years, I'd have to say their number is closer to 300. I believe they had around 16 or 17 actual studio albums during their time together. It's a little unfair to include their solo years, because then you're comparing 1 writer to 4 seperate writers.

I wonder how many Neil Young has written?

Beatles:

1- Please, please me

2- With the Beatles

3- A Hard day´s Night

4- Beatles for sale

5- Help

6- Rubber Soul

7- Revolver

8- Sgt Pepper´s...

9- Magical Mystery Tour

10- White Album

11- Yellow Submarine (half an album, side B is George martin´s)

12- Let it be

13- Abbey Road

plus official compilations, two "Past Masters", one live at Hollywood Bowl... more or less in that order, and I´m posting this by heart... the Beatles did a lot in seven years, but it was only seven years...

Oh yeah, that's the UK release set. I was thinking of the US release set which was all messed up.

And you definitely cannot forget about the Rolling Stones. They've been recording for an awfully long time.

Looking at AMG (not including LIVE albums), it looks like the Rolling Stones have ~28, Bob Dylan ~32, Neil Young ~32... these are kind of loose counts. I was trying to count only albums that appear to be studio albums. But, I know that Bob Dylan has written a lot of songs for other artists. I'm not sure about Neil Young or the Stones.

Harry Hill has the solution - fight!

Two against one isn't fair, so Bob should be allowed an old geezer from the business as his tag partner. I suggest Charlie Watts. My money would be on Bob & Charlie in a straight fight, provided Charlie could still jump the ropes when tagged.

Regards

I found this for Beatles songs.

Main songs - all compositions released in 50s-60s by the Beatles - 215

Rare songs - songs released after the group broke up (live versions, studio takes, demo, radio sessions, etc.) - 264

Non songs - conversations, talks, instrumentals - 64

Other songs - undefined or very rare songs, songs written for other artists - 22

Full song index - list of all compositions from all categories - 565

I think it is safe to say that Dylan has many more compositions then this.

I agree, I don?t think the non-songs qualify as written songs and as for the rare songs there are many duplicates of songs recorded at different live events. I figured I would through up all song stats so that one could have a kind of overview of the Beatles. When all said and done the total is somewhere around 300. If you like here?s the link to the site.

http://beatles.murashev.com/lyrics.php

Yeah, there's a lot of duplicates on there. But can you imagine writing 300 songs in 10 years? 500 songs in 40 years seems understandable, but 300 in 10 years is a lot.

Of course, you also could look at the lyrical structure in a Dylan song compared to a Beatles song. Which one typically has a long verse with non-repetative words...?

I have a list of all the songs Bob Dylan wrote but I just counted till 100... there must be ten times more... so definitely, and though the Beatles really did write TONS of WONDERFULL songs in just eight years or so, I must admit that Bob Dylan wrote much more... basically, coz he´s still around.