Censorship in Music....

marko90

I never understood why people are so offended by swear words. Actually, yes I do. They are just taught all their lives to not swear, and develop this taboo against swearing, even though no bodily harm can come from swearing, and you need to swear to express yourself sometimes. But swearing for some reason has become a big taboo.

i agree with you COMPLETELY, Jr

some swearing is ok if you feel really passionate about a subject and it's kept to a minimum since all you're doing is speaking out for a topic

but when every second word becomes an oath it's not 'cool' it's immature, it's like a kid crying for attention

This site is good

it provides lots of examples of censorship. I too am writing a paper on censorship in English class. I am against it. I don't think the problem in explicit lyrics in music is the thought that a kid might hear someone swear or talk about sex, I think the problem is the kid who listens to it when his parents are too afraid to tell them what it means. Then what you get is what happened to me the other day, when I was eating lots of ice cream, so my little brothers friend (who is 8 years old) called me a whore, because he saw it in the movie "Mean Girls" and thought that meant "pig." True story!

I am also against it. Unless you're living under a rock, you're gonna hear worse things in the real world.

Frank Zappa was a genius. He explains his beliefs here, on this cool movie. Be patient, its about 10 or 20 minutes.

In the movie, that fag with the glasses pisses me off. He tries to compare lyrics with Hitler's propaganda.

I can see swearing as a sort of an exclamation point in a song, I suppose. But gratuitous swearing just for the sake of , ahem, "expression", well, the only thing you're expressing is that you've a severely limited vocabulary.

I definitely agree. I really don't care for swearing in lyrcis, unless it's pretty much needed such as in Dream Theater's "Honor Thy Father". But when it's overdone to the poing where the song is ruined as it can be in some more modern songs, is where I draw a line.

I am also against it. Unless you're living under a rock, you're gonna hear worse things in the real world.

Frank Zappa was a genius. He explains his beliefs here, on this cool movie. Be patient, its about 10 or 20 minutes.

In the movie, that fag with the glasses pisses me off. He tries to compare lyrics with Hitler's propaganda.

The thing about censorship is that once it's applied, everything is cut with the same axe. That's why it sucks. People who censor and edit are retarded and have no common sense whatsoever. They'll use the same rule to censor guys like Frank Zappa that they use to censor Gangsta Rap. Personally, I don't think either one should be. It's the job of the parents to monitor and tell their kids what is proper and what is not. Otherwise, we're all living in the same plastic bubble that the lowest common denominator has to be protected in.

Well, I am almost done my Essay, when it is done, buffed and polished I shall post it on here for all of you guys to read...thank you all for your input and I have used all of your ideas in some way shape or form...thank you one and all who has posted and I will post the final product in a day or two... :rockon:

It's the job of the parents to monitor and tell their kids what is proper and what is not. Otherwise, we're all living in the same plastic bubble that the lowest common denominator has to be protected in.

That is very true. Instead of parents parenting their kids, they have censors parent all of us. Something parents need to realize is that their kids don't swear because they think it's cool when someone on TV does it. They think it's cool when their friends do it. Parents should also realize they have more control over their children then they think. Another good argument is the threat of growing censorship. Pretty soon what if they try to censor more than just the media? What if they start trying to ban what we say in public areas (even more so)?