Death Cab for Cutie

Earth-Angel

r08.jpg

Death Cab for Cutie

Wow! Where have these guys been hiding? I borrowed a friends CD and there was some of their songs on it, and I am suitably impressed! They've got a really sweet sound, and the lead singers voice is really good. A little like a USA Keane, maybe fans of Ben Folds Five, Our Lady Peace or Blessed Union of Souls will enjoy them too? :D

It's not quite what I would call "emo" but more Indie/pop, but really easy to listen to, nothing aggro or depressing, just melody-laden, lyrically enticing tracks. Every song seems to tell a story about past events and evokes alot of the feelings associated with those particular memories.

I've been listening to Transatlanticism all morning, and it's all good! I especially love this song:

Passenger Seat

"I roll the window down

and then begin to breathe in

the darkest country road

and the strong scent of evergreen

from the passenger seat as you are driving me home.

then looking upwards

i strain my eyes and try

to tell the difference between shooting stars and satellites

from the passenger seat as you are driving me home.

"do they collide?"

i ask and you smile.

with my feet on the dash

the world doesn't matter.

when you feel embarrassed then i'll be your pride

when you need directions then i'll be the guide

for all time.

for all time."

Bellingham, WA, indie pop quartet Death Cab for Cutie began in 1997 as the solo project of singer/guitarist Ben Gibbard, who previously recorded under the name All-Time Quarterback. The underground success of the cassette You Can Play These Songs' Chords inspired Gibbard to recruit a full-time band including guitarist/organist Christopher Walla (who recorded the early DCFC sessions as well), bassist Nick Harmer, and drummer Nathan Good, and in the summer of 1998, Death Cab for Cutie issued their debut LP, Something About Airplanes, to much acclaim from indie circles. Just prior to completion of the 2000 follow-up We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes, Good left the group and was replaced by drummer Michael Schorr. In fall 2000, the band released the Forbidden Love EP. A solid selection of new cuts were found on The Photo Album the next year. In 2003, Eureka Farm's Jason McGerr joined the group and the band's stunning fourth album Transatlanticism appeared in October.

Web review:

Trans. decidedly makes me feel wise (see Roget's for new/better word for 'wise'), like i'm all of a sudden worldly and all-aware.

Makes me feel like Kerouac or something. --used to pause the songs when playing for friends and read from the lyric book, made me feel so callow and sheltered and myopic and like I had so much more to see and learn w/ "your wedding figurines: I'd melt so I could drink them in," and "gravitated toward a taste for foreign film and modern plays," there was nuance and the possibility of discovery and growth and suggestive prowess even in the face of experience.

It was so forward-looking/thinking but had already seen so much.-- with this album: the mystique is gone, these songs are heads turned back over shoulders in commentary and nostalgia: but the scenes are already diluted with age and the pictures aren't as sharp-- nowhere left to go, just idling.

DCFC homepage.

death_cab_for_cutie_203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like Postal Service and just the Wicker Park Soundtrack which has a Death Cab for Cutie soug-A Movie Script Ending. I knew I recognized that voice. I really like that song and have since heard a few others. I am going to get one of their cds soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

a straight up pop band, these guys represent where mainstream music is headed today. This kind of indie pop-rock is getting more popular daily, especially among high school students, because they make great music and they are kind of dorky and we can relate to them, and sooner or later, good music will rule the charts! their music just makes you feel good, and it's moving sometimes! Plus, they're from Seattle, the 2nd most rockin' city ever!

here are some of my favorite songs by them.

I'll Follow You Into the Dark

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6u82QZZglM

Sound of Settling

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ih6tCoXjtIk

Crooked Teeth

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ripv6idTAvM

Soul Meets Body

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c3ZcIk82HQ0

Title and Registration

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MlG8dWPMBAM

I had them recommended to me by a friend who likes them, although I haven't picked up a CD or anything. From the few songs I've heard, they're pretty good. Particularly, I like Soul Meets Body, although I'll Follow You into the Dark wasn't bad.

Those videos were pretty good, too.

Edited by Guest

Never heard of that, I'll check it out.

Lizard, did you happen to catch last night's American Idol? It was in Seattle. When I saw half the people holding umbrellas, my respect for Seattle went down one point, which means Seattle has about 999,999 respect points from me now. It went up a little though when that guy told Simon he was ridiculous.