Academy Awards - Best picture - Misses

Mike

I think Brando and Scott had it right in the early 70's, I guess I have become quite jaded over the years by the academy recognition and lack there of, for films, especially in the category of best picture and director.

I disagree much more than I agree with the academy.

Then they tend to make up for ignoring greatness later by giving a director or an actor recognition for a relatively inferior body of work.

What films do you think should or should not have received best picture awards?

In my book Outlaw Josie Wales WAS and IS a better picture that Rocky, but I'm probably in a minority in this opinion, in addition, I don't think Unforgiven was as good as OJW.

In 1958, I thought Separate Tables should have been chosen over Gigi as the Best Picture.

In 1960, Elmer Gantry should have won the Best Picture Oscar instead of The Apartment.

I'm probably going to take a lot of flack over this one, but here goes: Dr. Zhivago should have beaten The Sound of Music for the best picture of 1965.

In 1968, The Lion In Winter (a brilliant film) should have been chosen instead of Oliver for Best Picture.

1974 - Chinatown should have won. The Godfather II did win.

1983 - The Right Stuff (a great film adaptation of a great book by Tom Wolfe) should have won. Terms of Endearment (a mediocre film IMO) did win.

1989 - My Left Foot (a wonderful Daniel Day Lewis performance) should have won. Driving Miss Daisy did win.

1997 - LA Confidential or The Full Monty should have won. The bloated, special effects laden Titanic did win. I don't know which acting performance was worse - DiCaprio's or Winslett's.

:happybanana:

I'm probably going to take a lot of flack over this one, but here goes: Dr. Zhivago should have beaten The Sound of Music for the best picture of 1965.

You'll get no flack from me, dear CanAm. There is no comparing those 2 movies...they are completely different genres...and both wonderful. That's why I like the Golden Globes...they have enough sense to separate movies into two categories - drama and comedy/musical. I think it is ridiculous to hardly ever acknowledge comedies...they might not be "important", but movies are about escapism, no matter what the subject is. I've always heard actors say that comedy is the tougest form of acting, so why not recognize that?

I don't know where that rant came from, but I feel much better know. Thanks for letting me ramble! ::

I agree wholeheartedly.

Especially about Dr. Zhivago. It was a great book and an even better movie. A breathtaking visual masterpiece with a cast of wonderful actors. Shariff's first starring role after Lawrence Of Arabia. Alec Guiness, a master. Julie Christie. Julie Christie. (bore repeating, sigh). The evil Rod Steiger, Tom Courtney (best supporting actor nominee), Ralph Richardson, Geraldine Chaplin, and many more.

The movie did garner lots of awards:

1966 Academy Award: Best Cinematography Color

1966 Academy Award: Best Writing Adapted Screenplay

1966 Academy Award: Best Music Score

1966 Academy Award: Best Costume Design Color

1966 Academy Award: Best Art Direction Color

1966 Academy Award: Best Picture nominee

1966 Academy Award: Best Supporting Actor nominee: Tom Courtenay

1966 Academy Award: Best Film Editing nominee

1966 Academy Award: Best Sound nominee

1966 Academy Award: Best Director nominee: David Lean

AFI: Top 100 Passions

AFI: Top 100 Movies

I have to get the DVD's and watch it on my son's wide screen TV.

If you haven't seen this movie, go get it. You'll fall in love with it.

You'll get no flack from me, dear CanAm. There is no comparing those 2 movies...they are completely different genres...and both wonderful. That's why I like the Golden Globes...they have enough sense to separate movies into two categories - drama and comedy/musical. I think it is ridiculous to hardly ever acknowledge comedies...they might not be "important", but movies are about escapism, no matter what the subject is. I've always heard actors say that comedy is the tougest form of acting, so why not recognize that?

I don't know where that rant came from, but I feel much better know. Thanks for letting me ramble! ::

Peaches, my dear, you can rant anytime you want.

:thumbsup:

Nice, Sammy. It's possible...her mouth is certainly big enough. :o

Since the floodgates have opened, I still can't believe that Helen Hunt won for "As Good As It Gets". It is very hard to rate someone as an actor, but one of the concrete aspects of acting is consistency. If you watch that movie, her (unconvincing to begin with) "Noo Yawk" accent comes and goes throughout the movie. Unacceptable. I can't remember who she was up against, but I guarantee one of them was more deserving.