List #4

Carl

Here are my suggestions:

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York

Pink floyd - Animals

The Cranberries - No Need To Argue

The Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

Aimee Mann, Various artists - Magnolia: Music from the Motion Picture

Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico

Coldplay - Parachutes

How about The Complete Recordings of Robert Johnson? Learn a few people up where this blues/rock and roll stuff started. If nothing else people should do a search and read the real story behind "Crossroads". :rockon:

Good call.. I brought those two cd's to work with me on monday and I've been listening to them ever since.. I heard some of the Clapton recordings of his stuff on NPR the other day and realized I hadn't heard it in a while..

The Band - Greatest Hits

"Hits" is something of a misnomer, due to the dismal lack of radio airplay for The Band, but this CD includes some of the best songs in their repertoire. Music by The Band was always a staple in my friends' collections. I will probably buy this CD myself, because I no longer have the two albums (Stage Fright and Cahoots) that used to be part of my vinyl library.

I would be hard pressed to name "artists similar to" The Band. They are pretty much one of a kind.

This is an excellent compilation for both the uninitiated and those who would like to refresh their memories.

"The Who Sell Out" The Who

One of the most under rated albums ever. When I bought it I thought it was decent, but the more I listen the more I love it. Being modeled after a pirate 60's radio station, it has a comical feeling, but still delivers some of the more aggressive rock we've come to expect from the Who, ("I Can See For Miles," "Armenia City in the Sky," "Melancolia," and "Hall of the Mountain King" come to mind). This album also includes tracks written by all of the members, as opposed to only Townshend.

Here's list #4:

BBC Sessions - The Yardbirds

Swagger - Flogging Molly

His n Hers - Pulp

Tapestry - Carole King

Winelight - Grover Washington

We had to get Flogging Molly in because of St. Patrick's Day. Pulp had a lot of support and Carole King was overdue. The Yardbirds beat out Robert Johnson by a fretboard, and Grover represents an underrated artist with a different sound (sidenote: Congratulations to Bill Withers, who is going into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. He spoke to us about 2 years ago about his songs, and mentioned that he really admired Grover, who played on "Just The Two Of Us" with Withers. Washington was the first to cover one of Withers' songs - he did an instrumental of "Ain't No Sunshine.")

I like these lists because they introduce me to or remind me of some great music out there. We can probably get some Floyd in the next one.

We had to get Flogging Molly in because of St. Patrick's Day.

You mean it wasn't because of my awesome 4 sentence review? ::

Good pick anyways. Great band. The lowest grade it got was a 2 star review from someone who didn't like the lyrics.