Toots & the Maytals

fidelityfiend

Many of you may not be familiar with this band - Toots Hibbert is a legend in the reggae and ska community. He has been performing for over 40 years with his band, the Maytals. They are coming to Jannus Landing (my favorite venue as you may recall) March 11th. I am required by my instincts to attend. For those of you who's knowledge of reggae starts and stops with Bob Marley (there's nothing wrong with that by the way), seeing Toots & the Maytals live is like seeing the reggae equivalent of the Stones or Zep - they are that important and had that much influence on the development of the island rhythms - Toots Hibbert was performing traditional Jamaican music when Bob was in grade school. If you like reggae or ska or just having a good time seeing quality musicians, go see Toots & the Maytals if they come to your town. I'm psyched to see them. Can you tell?!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Toots & the Maytals were the first reggae musicians I heard in my life... even before Jimmy Cliff. I never liked Bob Marley and there are few reggae songs I like but I must say I liked "Pressure Drop" (which I believe was part of the "The harder they come" soundtrack...)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay all - life interferes from time to time - went to the show - typical reggae concert - scheduled for a 7:00pm start and the first band (Inner Circle) didn't go on until 8:30. They were very good though a half hour set hardly does them justice. The second band was a dub group called "Particle" - I had never heard of them nor had most of the crowd apparently, they didn't go on until after 10:00 and were not well received - they were good at what they played, but four white guys playing instrumental reggae wasn't what we came for. Finally at about 11:30, Toots and the Maytals took the stage. They played an excellent high energy (no pun intended) show that the audience ate up. Toots himself looked a fraction of his 60 plus years and performed with an enthusiasm and professionalism that a lot of younger acts could learn from. He played all the "hits" - Pressure Drop, 54-46, Country Roads, Do the Reggay - that the crowd wanted and more. Overall it was a very good show, but I must be getting old because by the time I got home it was after 2:00am and I felt like scheisse the entire next day. Good thing it was a Friday night show.