~Rocker Deaths~

TrampledUnderFoot

Black Magic Woman just came on the radio. I've never heard it before, but man, this song is great. I love this kind of music.

Hey Ron/Chris/Dave/Roger/

Was that Santana's version of Black Magic Woman (US hit)?

Or the original by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (UK hit)?

Either one "is great".

from various sources

At the 1998 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction festivities, Santana played Black Magic Woman, and the group was joined onstage by fellow inductee Fleetwood Mac founder and guitarist Peter Green, who originally penned the song for his own band.

Other Peter Green favorites:

[*] The Supernatural. Recorded with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (Green replaced Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers. According to legend, this is the song which made a musician out of Carlos Santana.)

[*] Green Manalishi. Before he left Fleetwood Mac, Green began to hate the fame, and started to give away his fortune while trying to convince the other group members to do the same. Green?s depression and LSD-fueled psychosis sidetracked him for the next 26 years. He was receiving legally enforced psychiatric treatment was subjected to both heavy drug treatments and electroshock, as he cycled in and out of psychiatric hospitals. Green resumed sporadic recording in the late 1990s. He surfaces unexpectedly from time to time.

And, by the way, who died?

Hey Ron/Chris/Dave/Roger/

Was that Santana's version of Black Magic Woman (US hit)?

Or the original by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (UK hit)?

Either one "is great".

from various sources

At the 1998 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction festivities, Santana played Black Magic Woman, and the group was joined onstage by fellow inductee Fleetwood Mac founder and guitarist Peter Green, who originally penned the song for his own band.

Other Peter Green favorites:

[*] The Supernatural. Recorded with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (Green replaced Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers. According to legend, this is the song which made a musician out of Carlos Santana.)

[*] Green Manalishi. Before he left Fleetwood Mac, Green began to hate the fame, and started to give away his fortune while trying to convince the other group members to do the same. Green?s depression and LSD-fueled psychosis sidetracked him for the next 26 years. He was receiving legally enforced psychiatric treatment was subjected to both heavy drug treatments and electroshock, as he cycled in and out of psychiatric hospitals. Green resumed sporadic recording in the late 1990s. He surfaces unexpectedly from time to time.

And, by the way, who died?

Santana's 1970 follow-up to their Woodstock-propelled smash '69 debut found leader Carlos Santana further expanding his San Francisco group's already broad musical boundaries. To wit: two hit singles that emanated from opposite ends of the spectrum--"Black Magic Woman," originally written and recorded by English blues-rock guitarist Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac, and New York Latin percussionist/dance music king Tito Puente's infectious "Oye Como Va." Tying blues, rock, and salsa together in one pancultural package, Abraxas also featured such standout tracks as "Gypsy Queen" and "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts." The latter underscored the growing Eastern sensibilities of guitarist Santana.

hmmm, I'm thinking 2 of them are still truckin'...I'll check it out.

Joey Ramone died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer

Dee Dee Ramone died in 2002 of a drug overdose

Johnny Ramone died in 2004 of prostate cancer

Tommy Ramone (original drummer)

Marky Ramone (drummer after Tommy quit)

CJ Ramone (bass player after Dee Dee quit) are all still ALIVE.

• 2 months later...

I read this thread from start to finish... a lot of the old faithfuls have been mentioned when it comes to citing rock's greatest loss. What I'm surprised about is that no one mentioned Freddie Mercury. I think that is extremely unfair because to me the loss of a talent, a voice and a performer like THAT outweighs the loss of Kurt Cobain. If anyone was BORN to perform, he was. And his death was very tragic too.

freddie's death was indeed tragic. i've written about this before, i remember seeing him on tv shortly before his death, playing piano and singing bohemian rhapsody and he seemed a broken man. he was so young yet his hands shook like an eighty year old.

i don't agree however that the death of one is any more or less tragic than another. i thought kurt cobain's death was tragic too, especially since during his life he never seemes to have found peace or happiness.

tim buckley died aged 28 of a heroin overdose. it is said that it was his first try and someone accidentally gave him too much.

jeff buckley (tim's son) mysteriously drowned in the wolf river in memphis. he was there with a friend who was sitting on the river banks. they were listening to a transistor radio when jeff waded into the water and began floating on his back singing along to 'a whole lotta love'. a boat came passed and it appears jeff was sucked under the water in its wake. his body washed up a few days later near beale street. despite numerous references to death and drowning in his music, it is generally not accepted that this was suicide. jeff was happy at the time, his band were at that very moment flying in to work on the new album. one stupid guy i was speaking to once tried to tell me that jeff had jumped from a plane into a lake, commiting suicide. he was obviously getting the story a bit mixed up!!

philip parris lynott of thin lizzy died of an overdose despite several attempts at rehab. so tragic.

richey james edwards of the manic street preachers only sort of counts because he disappeared and has never been accounted for. many still believe him to be alive.

Ten-year tragedy of missing Manic

Richey Edwards, guitarist and lyricist for The Manic Street Preachers, vanished 10 years ago, on 1 February 1995. His disappearance remains one of the most tragic mysteries in rock music.

Richey Edwards was revered by legions of devoted fans. For his devoted fans, Richey Edwards was an inspired and inspiring poet, a man who articulated their desperation and despair, who shouted the things most kept hidden.

The Manic Street Preachers may only have become stadium-conquering rock giants since his disappearance - but Edwards was the figurehead for their first, dangerous and dazzling incarnation.

Edwards did not feature in the original line-up of the band, though. Singer/guitarist James Dean Bradfield, bassist Nicky Wire and drummer Sean Moore were originally accompanied by a rhythm guitarist called Flicker.

But Edwards replaced Flicker in time for the band's self-financed debut, Suicide Alley, after designing the record's artwork.

The Manics continued as a trio after Edwards disappeared

After becoming a full-time member, Edwards became a critical part of the band, writing lyrics and playing guitar - though in many concerts, he was not actually plugged in.

But the fiercely intelligent Edwards - who name-checked writers such as Sylvia Plath, George Orwell and Philip Larkin - battled depression, alcohol problems, eating disorders, and self-harm.

By the time the band released their third album, The Holy Bible, in October 1994, Edwards had been admitted to hospital with depression.

But in his last interview a few months later, seemed to be making plans for the future.

1 February 1995: Edwards walks out of the Embassy Hotel in London in the early morning, ahead of the band's US tour to promote The Holy Bible.

In the following days, police issue a missing person alert and his parents, Graham and Sherry, plead for their son to let them know he is safe and well.

15 February 1995: Police discover Edwards' car in a car park near the Severn Bridge near Bristol - a notorious suicide spot. The discovery leads many to believe he has killed himself. The rest of the band stop touring and recording.

December 1995: The band play their first concerts since Edwards' disappearance as a trio, performing support slots for The Stone Roses on their UK stadium tour.

May 1996: The Manic Street Preachers release their first music since Edwards' disappearance. A Design For Life reaches number two in the UK singles chart. The album Everything Must Go follows.

The band have become stadium stars since the disappearance

February 1997: The Manics win best band and best album for Everything Must Go at the Brit Awards.

March 1997: A fan says she saw Edwards in the hippy resort of Goa, India. Interpol are alerted but do not track him down.

December 1998: Graham and Sherry Edwards fly to the Spanish island of Fuerteventura six weeks after reports a man fitting their son's description has been seen in a bar called Underground. The report comes to nothing.

February 2000: Edwards' sister Rachel makes an emotional TV appeal five years after the disappearance. "I'd just like to say to him if he is able to listen that we do love him very much and we'd like him to come back - me, mum and dad," she said.

February 2001: The band play a concert in the Cuban capital, Havana - the first contemporary western rock band to play there.

February 2002: On the seventh anniversary of his disappearance, police offer Edwards' parents the opportunity to sign a death certificate. They refuse.

The Big Issue magazine, which supports homelessness charities, prints the last known picture of Edwards in a fresh plea for information.

March 2002: A pair of trainers containing human bones washed up on the banks of the River Severn have no link to Edwards, police say.

June 2003: The last song written by Edwards - a song called Judge Y'Self, which was to have been used for the Judge Dredd film soundtrack - is released on the B-side compilation Lipstick Traces.

A skeleton found by the River Severn is not Edwards, tests reveal.

August 2004: The Manics' seventh studio album, Lifeblood, features a song dedicated to Edwards called Cardiff Afterlife.

February 2005: The remaining Manic Street Preachers members continue to pay a quarter of the band's royalties into an account held in his name.