2005 Grammies

Carl

Very impressive performance by Kanye West with Mavis Staples. For sheer production value, it was one of the best I've seen at the Grammies. He also made it clear in his acceptance speech that this is important stuff. Contrast this with U2, who did a solid, but unspactacular performance and is starting to seem bored with all their awards.

Once I got over the horror of Hoobastank getting nominated for song of the year, I was pleased to see John Mayer win for "Daughters." Where was "100 Years" by Five For Fighting? I'm not sure how that could not be nominated, but then again, I don't get a Grammy vote (yet).

It took me a while to figure out why all those people were singing "Across The Universe." There's just something strange about Tim McGraw singing lines like "Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind..." I guess it's a fitting Tsunami relief tribute, but something about it creeps me out.

Great Southern Rock tribute. I was pleased to see Dickey Betts representing The Allman Brothers. He is often overlooked, but this is the guy who wrote "Ramblin' Man," "Elizabeth Reed," "Blue Sky," and many of their other great songs. Always good to see Elvin Bishop, and Gretchen Wilson can come over to my house and sing any time. ::

I thought it was all pretty good, I thought Alicia Keys was amazing, and i was also surprised to see that Jamie Foxx could actually sing. I became bored rather quickly when U2 got onstage, and I was glad to see Jimmy Page there as well. I especially liked the array of musicians that they were able to get to perform on "Across The Universe"

I'm a little skeptical of any one trying to sing Janis, but Joss Stone was amazing with her rendition of "Cry Baby"

Ahhh!! I didn't think alot of Joss Stone at all performing that song!

U2 did seem bored, you're all right about that, which is a real shame if they have adopted this attitude in any televised show they do..

I don't really know too much about the newer music artist these days, especially growing up in the 70's generation. But when I saw this girl named Joss Stone is it? do Janis Joplin I must say she did a great job. It's very difficult to try to do a Janis tune, and i was really amazed by this girls performance...especially for being so young. :coolio:

u2 seemed depressed. i loved the intro performance with black eyed peas, los lonely boys, maroon 5, gwen stefani+eve, franz ferdinand and the way they ended it by singing all the songs at the same time. i'm not huge fan of any of them but i thought it was awesome!! :coolio: