Anyone listen to Al Stewart?

AdmiralHalsey

Theres an amazing lyric i love from the Al Stewart song "The Year of the Cat."

-She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running like a water colour in the rain-

I really love how the two things he compares in the simile are linked by a verb, each with a different meaning that that verb can take on (that was hard to put into words but im sure you all know what i am talking about).

Can anyone think of other examples of this, or come up with any of your own?

I had tickets to see Rory Gallagher on Long Island at a "My Father's Place" a popular club in the 70's and 80's. I drove from NJ, thru NYC, out to Roslyn only to find Rory cancelled and Al Stewart was the replacement act. I was tempted to leave, but figured I drove all that way. I'm glad I did, he put on a good show.

:coolio:

Haven't listend to Al in quite a while. Thanks to your thread I will dig out his CD's and remember what a great lyricist he is.

Al paints such vivid pictures. From the beginning of the same song, Year Of The Cat comes:

"On a morning from a Bogart movie

In a country where they turn back time"

I was first introduced to Al Stewart's music by a British DJ named Luke O'Reilly who was here working at WMMR in Philly in the very early 70's. I understand that he and Al had DJed together in the UK.

Anyway, thanks for the thread and the reminder.

Theres an amazing lyric i love from the Al Stewart song "The Year of the Cat."

-She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running like a water colour in the rain-

I was just listening to this song the other day and thniniking how amazing that line was. A great song too. I don't know much else by him though. Song On The Radio. Something about a street light, that's about it.

Al Stewart was always very discreet, he´s not a star and he´s not the typicall rock and roll/pop singer with a huge ego. I saw him at a press conference and he seems to care more about his work that about groupies or fame. He´s not that handsome nor bright as a person but he makes beautifull songs... "The Year of the Cat" is one of the greatest pop songs...

I've been a fan of Al Stewart ever since I first heard Year of The Cat in the mid-70's. Along with that song, my favourite Stewart tunes are Roads To Moscow, On The Border and Time Passages. Al Stewart reminds me a little of Harry Chapin. He does write some interesting lyrics including this one from his anti lawyer diatribe License To Steal:

He walks into the room, he's got a briefcase like a bomb

A smile on both faces and he calls it aplomb

He wants a bite of your apple, hands you back the peel

He's fresh out of law school, he's got a license to steal

He's an ambulance chaser, a waver of papers

He likes to mix with the movers and shakers

He's taking from them, he's taking from you

Lawyers love money, anybody's will do

He's poking his nose into people's despair

When tragedy strikes he will always be there

Looking so cool, his greed is hard to conceal

He's fresh out of law school, he's got a license to steal